$7500 credit for leaf.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

It has been over 3 months since sending in my 8936 form, with no action action so far. Before wading through the possibilities, does anyone know the best way to find out what is going on?

When (and how) did you file your tax return and was it "accepted"?

Did you expect a refund (and how much) or did you owe taxes?

That has happened before with the IRS...The great thing about MNL is that most subjects have already been talked about. Here is a 28 page thread on the very same subject that you may find helpful...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yogi62 said:
When (and how) did you file your tax return and was it "accepted"?

Did you expect a refund (and how much) or did you owe taxes?

I filled it out by hand as usual, mailed it in in the middle of February, owed $22, have heard nothing and assume it was accepted.

boba said:
I filled it out by hand as usual, mailed it in in the middle of February, owed $22, have heard nothing and assume it was accepted.

So you owed $22 and then you applied the $7500 credit, right? So how much was your total withholding for the last year. Did you expect to get the whole $7500 back?

It's too late for you now, but the smart money changes their withholding during the tax year they're buying the qualifying vehicle, so one doesn't have to wait on the IRS getting around to sending you back your own money. Of course, this doesn't work if the vehicle is an impulse purchase and takes place towards the end of the year.

mwalsh said:
boba said:

So you owed $22 and then you applied the $7500 credit, right? So how much was your total withholding for the last year. Did you expect to get the whole $7500 back?

I don't feel like i have a complete understanding of this question.
I'm assuming that after all your tax calculations, and properly applying your $7500 credit you still owed the $22.

If this is correct, you wont hear anything....... Unless they have a problem with it.
I sent them EVERYTHING.
Bill of sale, source of funds, registration, even a copy of THEIR form confirming that the Leaf was a qualifying vehicle.

It's been 3 years, so I guess they "bought it'.

Trust me, if they have a problem with it, you will hear something sooner or later.

Next year solar credits????

The 'acceptance' of your return would be if they cashed your $22 check (assuming that was your owed balance as described); once they do that your return, at least as far as their system is concerned is done for the past tax year. In my own case, when we submitted our taxes (electronically) for the tax year of our $7,500 fed tax credit, they were actually pretty prompt with our refund which was close to 5-figures ... that's it though ... you were maybe expecting a letter, etc.; not going to happen.

Now if on the other hand it was an amended return; expect a long wait as due to staff and funding cuts the IRS is way behind

Back