Another leaf rear ended

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis

Last Friday had an accident in my leaf. I got rear ended by a mini cooper going about 40 MPH. To anyone wondering how their leaf would take an impact I can say the leaf handled it VERY well. It popped a lot of the bumper clips and popped out one of the edges. I'm sure all of the supports behind it are probably crushed.

I was rolling ahead towards a group of stopped cars when it happened. I think thats why the accident didn't cause more damage. I was going about 5MPH. The driver of the other car was texting I'm fairly sure. Her facebook selfies of her driving her car tell the whole story. Just prior to the accident she had posted a picture of herself driving. She never even hit the brakes prior to hitting me.

The car did a lot better than my neck did lets put it that way. I'm still recovering.

Edit: Some crappy pictures

Travis,
Based upon the pictures, your car should be repairable since it looks like much less damage than mine. I hope you are OK. My car was technically repairable, but the cost was higher than the other driver's insurance company was willing to pay so they declared it a total loss and I had to argue with their adjusters back and forth for over a month to get somewhere close to a reasonable settlement. I thought the seat back and headrest in my 2011 supported my back and head very well and prevented injury in my accident. Here is a photo of my 2011 after it was hit by a 4x4 3/4-ton Chevrolet diesel pickup.

Gerry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 192
I have become pretty paranoid driving. I am always looking in all my mirrors and just assume everyone is texting. I have not been in an accident in 40 years, and want to keep it that way. Had some close calls though. Usually because others have their turn signal on with no intention to turn, or do not have their signals on but do turn. I miss my days when I lived in a city where I could just rely on public transport.

Travis said:
Just prior to the accident she had posted a picture of herself driving. She never even hit the brakes prior to hitting me.
Hope the next few days brings recovery. But I am curious, did you internet search her by name or how did you come to know she posted pictures of herself driving? After a few close calls, I've given up riding my bike on city streets due to the really poor inattentive driving going on. Just too risky. Maybe self driving cars will be a statistical improvement for certain age groups and psychographics...?

Again, hope you are okay....

DesertDenizen said:
I have become pretty paranoid driving. I am always looking in all my mirrors and just assume everyone is texting. I have not been in an accident in 40 years, and want to keep it that way. Had some close calls though. Usually because others have their turn signal on with no intention to turn, or do not have their signals on but do turn. I miss my days when I lived in a city where I could just rely on public transport.

This is how we motorcyclists manage to usually stay alive. Forget the propaganda by accessories manufacturers about "loud pipes save lives" - vigilant drivers save lives. The same is even more true of bicyclists, who even have to worry about getting hit by motorcycles. I now ride my e-bike on the left side of the road when I can see far ahead; otherwise I'd have to check my (indispensable) mirror every 5 seconds to keep watch for distracted and/or inebriated drivers coming up behind me...

Hi, LeftieBiker! You are statistically 10 times more likely to be hit on bicycle, by a car, by going against traffic. You may think you are safer, but (you) will surely watch as they hit you, and they will be looking back or left where expected traffic is coming from, as they turn into or merge with traffic, and you are riding into their path on their side of the road shoulder or sidewalk. This especially is likely when they are making a right hand turn from a parking lot or side street and you are closing in from the right. Plus being an e-bike rider you may be going consistently faster than normal pedal only riders and pop up unexpectedly quicker when crossing a drivers path. Please really consider this... By the way, I see we are both members on the forum endless-sphere.com. I am also a motorcycle rider! Technically, I have also been a motorcycle driver for some time now as my Harley has a sidecar for my daughter to be able to ride too.

Evoforce said:
Hi, LeftieBiker! You are statistically 10 times more likely to be hit on bicycle, by a car, by going against traffic. You may think you are safer, but (you) will surely watch as they hit you, and they will be looking back or left where expected traffic is coming from, as they turn into or merge with traffic, and you are riding into their path on their side of the road shoulder or sidewalk. This especially is likely when they are making a right hand turn from a parking lot or side street and you are closing in from the right. Plus being an e-bike rider you may be going consistently faster than normal pedal only riders and pop up unexpectedly quicker when crossing a drivers path. Please really consider this... By the way, I see we are both members on the forum endless-sphere.com. I am also a motorcycle rider! Technically, I have also been a motorcycle driver for some time now as my Harley has a sidecar for my daughter to be able to ride too.

I'm afraid you are reading conditions into my situation that aren't there. I don't ride on the left side of the road "in traffic" for starters. I can see how you go that though: I should have written that I only ride on the left when I can see far ahead *and there are no cars coming*. I ride country roads that are usually empty, and when I'm in any kind of traffic I ride on the right. As for my EZIP being faster than other bicycles, no way, except when climbing hills. It's actually slower.

No problem Leftie! I am glad that you pointed out how you discriminate your conditions while riding. Some people place themselves at great peril by not considering their particular conditions. It sounds like you have it figured out. I was just chiming in warning those that might not put in full consideration, when involved in heavy traffic situations. However, I might add... It would not so wonderful getting hit by a passing vehicle mirror, I've had some close ones where the dummies are inches away!

Back