Vandalism caught on camera

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlleaf

11154723_10155769380760206_8320005379983690901_o.jpg

Anyone had this happened before?

The banner does say "vandalism" so there's a presumption that it wasn't accidental. Still, it's unknown if it was done as an act of road rage, or because it was parked in someone else's spot, or because the suspect had some sort of dispute with the owner/driver of that Leaf, or if the vandal just doesn't like alternative-fuel vehicles.

Neither the Fox5 Atlanta website nor Google seems to bring up anything about it.

TomT said:
Without the accompanying video it is impossible to tell what actually happened... The rock could have simply fallen from the building...
Falling rocks tend to fall mostly down, not down and out like that.
Unless the building is overhanging the parking area, looks more like it was intentional..

As a side / possibly related note, looks like I have to replace a few tires.
One of my rear tires now has some cuts in the sidewall. They didn't puncture it, but it's not looking all that good. Definitely something sharp got to it.
I don't like to think someone hacked at it, but it's what it looks like..

Happened at a mall parking structure. I was plugged in and charging.

desiv

RonDawg said:
The banner does say "vandalism" so there's a presumption that it wasn't accidental. Still, it's unknown if it was done as an act of road rage, or because it was parked in someone else's spot, or because the suspect had some sort of dispute with the owner/driver of that Leaf, or if the vandal just doesn't like alternative-fuel vehicles.

Neither the Fox5 Atlanta website nor Google seems to bring up anything about it.
Whatever the trigger (and I suspect the last of your possibilities is correct), this in UNREAL. Parked in someone else's spot? LOL!

Someone (I suspect one of my neighbors) egged my Sonata because they didn't like where it was parked when I got it. I suspect they didn't realize it was someone's car in the neighborhood and just thought someone was parking there and going elsewhere, because it happened about 2 days after I got the car, and nothing happened after that.
What can I say, people can be jerks sometimes.

I worry about this sort of thing up here in Northern Colorado because it is a very "Carbon Friendly" area here. You can't drive a mile or so without seeing a well. However because of the lower gas prices, new wells have dropped off and there are many oil workers laid off right now. Seems like a recipe for some "retailiation."

We also have a high number of coal rollers and it's pretty common to see a "Prius Repellant" label over the exhaust on these trucks. I honestly don't know how they afford to drive 95 MPH down HWY 25 and lead foot in town with the current price of diesel. I suspect daddy is still paying for it and wouldn't be surprised if many were using farm diesel.

Anyway, with this in mind I have been trying to keep the car in "safe" areas, but I'm going down to the springs for two weeks today and the hotel I stay at often has a number of oil industry folks staying there. Wish me luck.

mbender said:
RonDawg said:

Whatever the trigger (and I suspect the last of your possibilities is correct), this in UNREAL. Parked in someone else's spot? LOL!

In areas where parking is difficult to come by, you'll be surprised what people will do when someone else parks in "their" spot, whether it's truly theirs or not.

It looks like there was plenty of space in that lot. I bet the location is identifiable by someone here from Atlanta (and maybe I'll alert that community here to this post and challenge them accordingly).

I'd love it if the media followed up on the story and at least talked to the owner about his suspicions. Better yet would be if the authorities caught the perpetrator on video, not just the end result on "camera".

A long time ago, probably 2004, when the Prius was first coming out in the U.S., one of the guys on the Prius forum had several instances of minor vandalism. So the short story is he finally caught his lady neighbor coming over and doing it. She couldn't withstand that he had a 50 mpg car, I guess she would have gone berserk if it had been a Nissan LEAF.

sub3marathonman said:
A long time ago, probably 2004, when the Prius was first coming out in the U.S., one of the guys on the Prius forum had several instances of minor vandalism. So the short story is he finally caught his lady neighbor coming over and doing it. She couldn't withstand that he had a 50 mpg car, I guess she would have gone berserk if it had been a Nissan LEAF.
Bet it wouldn't have happened if it was a Geo Metro...

Back