What to expect when your warranty triggers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafy2011

Greetings Folks,

I am a bit of an old school lurker of the forum. Took delivery of my Leaf in SD on the first production run (which was delayed by nuclear mishap and tsunamis somewhere far flung). I must admit I have enjoyed my leaf much but I became somewhat disenchanted with the capacity loss. Dropped off the board and can't recall my old credentials now. Typical story here right? Having recently hit the break point of 8 bars, I came back on to find some information on other people's experience and read quite a bit of content. I'm still not sure "what to expect" in the sense of what the dealership and Nissan as a company is going to do to make this right and want to know from folks who have been through the process, "actual experience" and not a sea-lawyer's view of things.

March 5th
A little bit of information on my Leaf and habits (all qualitative):

- Car is a 2011 model, purchased in May with the QC port inc. and is currently under 50K with 8 capacity bars. Did I mention I live in San Diego where the weather/temp. is fairly consistent year round?

- I'm a nerd (and engineer) and before buying this car made some informed decisions about expected battery loss and my commute. I signed up early for the product, was assured with warranty offers and a couple surveys that Nissan was going to do it right and that at the end of the day I would have 80-100m range (depending on driving habits) and could expect a 20% reduction in capacity before the battery settles. My commute requires a tad less than 27 miles each way (~52 round trip (RT)) where 30% of it is street and 70% is highway. Given this understanding of what I was getting into, I figured I would have many years with the car w/o requiring a charge within a RT commute. I lost the ability to get to work and home on one charge in late 2012.

- Odd issue #1, picking up the Leaf, Dealer shows me that if I continue to depress the trigger on the Charging Cable after a charge is complete, I can "top the car off" to get more mileage. This is obviously dumb and suffered this to pass in my limited interaction with them (other than regular service and battery tests).

- Best number of estimated mileage on full charge I have seen was 127 miles remaining in the early years. Think kWh was 3.9 then.

- Worst number of estimated mileage on full charge I have seen is 38 miles remaining as of recent. kWh is 3.4 but dealer reset it somewhere along the way.

- Understand that mileage is a terrible gauge of actual utility for this car BUT given the top end and bottom end, and my decline in performance over the years, this is quite terrible.

- I have QC'd the car maybe all of 5 times. I picked up somewhere this is probably not nice for the battery on a regular basis.

- Odd issue #2, I have had every battery test on time and have received the highest possible rating for battery condition and capacity. The first test was free, my most current one I had to pay for. I'm quite sure I paid for a inaccurate test report not reflecting that I was over 15K into 9 bars. (thanks for the notes about LeafSpy and the OBD Bluetooth tool, shopping around now as a prep to deal with this).

- The car has been in an accident. A hit and run actually. I parked on the street at my favorite sandwich shop on a Friday at least 12' behind some Company Truck. The idiot backed into my Leaf when he could have pulled out straight and crushed front charging port and receptacle before fleeing the scene. I couldn't remember the exact company name or more than the first couple letters of the LP, but the dummy did fax his order in to my favorite sandwich shop. I was able to track him down. And I eventually got made whole on the matter. Car performance before and after wasn't noticeably impacted although there was a fiasco with coolant leaking into the charging port and short circuiting some stuff up front. I'll fess up that I was intimidated by the idea of driving a jostled battery around having tossed a few of the smaller size around as a kid for fun but got over that issue in a few weeks. Interesting story aside, I wouldn't attribute this to terrible performance.

- I received a bunch of crap in the mail about a Class Action and thought about joining the cause. Work was busy and to be honest I wasn't driving much due to business travel and had some concerns with what investments I'd have to make to deal with it. And then it only seemed like a short while after that somebody/everybody "settled" (or was bought/compensated) and then we ended up with some revised bullshit warranty that didn't really seem much an improvement of the empty performance backed promises made initially.

- That capacity bar is funky. I've seen it show 9 bars then 8 briefly and then maybe 9 again. I've felt like it's been a mirage or something, trick of the eye, but now it seems to have settled at 8. There is something to be said about hanging our hat on visual instrumentation that is super inaccurate and will likely screw many drivers out of getting their due on the warranty. Perhaps this is done on purpose. Can't say I am a stranger to how the bottom-line can get leveraged on an engineering team by the folks managing the money.

I want to go on record that no matter what capacity math is being used by my fellow geniuses out there, going from 12 bars to 9 bars (or 8) should not represent a reduction from being able to RT to work and back home with no low warnings to now where I am having the low charge warning come on before pulling into work in the AM. I'm passionate about getting this fixed. I am planning to post my experiences as I go through the motions of trying to get some sort of equitable adjustment from Nissan (new or better battery hopefully) but fully expect that I am going to get screwed around with or short changed. Such as the nature with "claiming" anything we pay into: warranty, insurance, disability, or whatever. As I get more quantitative data assembled, I am willing to throw that on here too along with my experiences. Hopefully this will be useful to other folks who I'd imagine are going to reach the threshold quite easily, like myself.

Have read a lot on here but thanks for advice on the matter of the "warranty experience" in advance. I'm thinking to call the hotline first tomorrow and then dealer.

There is a software update that makes the instrumentation more accurate and Nissan will want to do that before replacing the battery. I was making my 52 mile round trip (26 each way, about 20 each way is freeway) commute with A/C running without issue at 8 bars and was waiting a while before requesting a new battery (to get as much as I could out of the old one), but Nissan Customer Service called me and asked me to take it to the dealer so they could initiate the battery replacement process.

Take the car to your dealer with 8 capacity bars showing and ask them to initiate replacement of the battery under warranty. If you have not had the software update, they will do that and may want to wait a month to see if the update restores any capacity (it will not restore actual capacity, but may improve accuracy of the instrumentation). They will also need to run some additional tests and send the results to Nissan. After Nissan approves replacement, they order the battery (and new adapters to install new model battery in 2011/2012 Leaf--I received a battery from Japan in October 2013 so no adapters were needed). Installation takes a few hours and then some time to charge. I dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon.

It is advisable to call the Customer Service line and initiate the process before going to the dealer. Search the forum for more information--there are several threads related to battery replacement.

Good Luck!

Gerry

Thanks Gerry! I did get a software update on one of my regular milestone visits. Should have mentioned that.

Leafy2011 said:
Thanks Gerry! I did get a software update on one of my regular milestone visits. Should have mentioned that.
There have been a number of software updates but the one that adjusts the battery capacity measurements is P3227. If you've had that one already you are good to go for the battery replacement under warranty (60 months/60k miles). There are some dealers in your area that have done them before. You might want to ask around and take your car to one of those dealers experienced in battery replacement.

As you may have discovered from reading here, the first capacity bar represents 15% and the subsequent capacity bars 6.25% each. So if you are down to 8 bars you likely have less than 66% of the original battery capacity. That certainly makes a big difference in your range. Another factor is that the Low Battery Warning and the Very Low Battery Warning are at fixed energy levels. [LBW is at 49 Gids (~3.9 kWh) and VLBW is at 24 Gids (~1.9 kWh). These numbers do not change as the battery degrades.] So as your battery capacity declines the amount below LBW increases as a percent of the whole. That makes the range look even less if one uses LBW (or VLBW) as a lower limit. FWIW.

Regarding the class action suit. That wasn't something that you would sign onto, but something you would have had to opt out of...but just as well you didn't since the new capacity warranty is tied to it. But it means you don't have any legal recourse outside of the warranty...you can't separately sue over battery capacity since you are part of the class that has accepted a settlement.

Thanks for the info folks. Called NO-GAS-EV and also scheduled an appointment at a local dealer. Looks I am getting the 2015 "Gator" Battery. More info to follow.

I'm not sure if people have discussed this before, as I don't get to the forum as much as I'd like, but is it possible or would it be prudent to try to wait out the summer and get into the fall and cooler weather if possible? Or is it required to replace the battery within a certain timeframe of Nissan determining that it needs replacement? Now, of course too, a $6K battery in the hand is worth a lot more than a 66% battery sitting in the car.

Good luck with everything.

sub3marathonman said:
I'm not sure if people have discussed this before, as I don't get to the forum as much as I'd like, but is it possible or would it be prudent to try to wait out the summer and get into the fall and cooler weather if possible? Or is it required to replace the battery within a certain timeframe of Nissan determining that it needs replacement? Now, of course too, a $6K battery in the hand is worth a lot more than a 66% battery sitting in the car.

It actually does make sense to wait as long as one can, assuming that:

1) The range of the car still meets one's needs

2) The car is still within the 60 month/60k mile warranty limit

3) The car has had the P3227 software update well before the time or mileage limit is reached (because it takes some time for the new battery capacity readings to settle down after the update)

The longer one waits, the longer the replacement battery will last.

dgpcolorado said:
sub3marathonman said:

It actually does make sense to wait as long as one can, assuming that:

1) The range of the car still meets one's needs

2) The car is still within the 60 month/60k mile warranty limit

3) The car has had the P3227 software update well before the time or mileage limit is reached (because it takes some time for the new battery capacity readings to settle down after the update)

The longer one waits, the longer the replacement battery will last.
Yup. Unless money is no concern (and if it isn't you have to ask why you aren't driving a Tesla), milk your original battery for as much as you can. Ideally, you replace it the last day of your warranty but if it isn't getting you where you need to go then you gotta do what you gotta do.

The following are two ongoing threads with good recent posts about the battery replacement experience.

General Nissan LEAF - News & Main LEAF Discussion - Update on Nissan LEAF battery replacement (a "sticky")

LEAF OWNERSHIP - General / Main Owners Forum - Annual Settlement in Klee v. Nissan

One includes the part numbers for the 2015 main battery assembly and all of the elements of the installation kit you'll need for retrofitting it to your 2011 LEAF. You may want to compare that information with the dealer's service department order before they begin installation.

Although an experienced shop may be able to replace the main battery in one day, I recommend you plan for at least two days. Mine was the first one done by a local dealer and required the better part of 3 days (including a half day just to fully charge the new one). Ask for a loaner; you're entitled to it.

Thanks again folks. Bit of an update. Dealer checked out the car and confirmed it was within warranty and has ordered a replacement battery. Looking at two weeks for it to show up! :)

Thanks for the post, Leafy2011. This is timely as I just lost my fourth bar this past weekend. I also have a Leaf purchased in May 2011. It's good to hear that your experience turned out well. Like you, I was also interested in knowing what to expect before contacting Nissan, so I thought I'd look through the forum for answers.

In another thread, there was some discussion whether or not owners had to get the battery capacity checked every year in order to validate the capacity warranty. Did you have this done every year? If I missed doing this last year, what are the ramifications when I make the claim on the battery capacity warranty? Any insight or other specifics that may be relevant in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

mistermar
2011 Leaf SL - Silver

Sorry, it's been a couple days since I've checked in on this thread. I have been waiting for the dealership to receive the new battery and retrofit kit (required for the 2015 "gator" batteries going into 2011 model Leafs). They just received it and I will be getting the install done on Thursday... and should have the car back on Friday.

As far as your questions, I just followed the prescribed maintenance cycle by Nissan. During that cycle, I had two battery checks occur. One paid for by Nissan and the 2nd one more recently was out of pocket but called out as necessary to maintain the warranty. But to be honest, no one has asked me questions either. I did also have to drop the car off for verification so maybe the "maintenance cycle" check was performed then.

Thanks again for the additional info. I'm going to start the warranty claim process on my end and fill you in on my experience if it ends up being vastly different from yours.

took the car in for only 1 service, all they did was run new software on it and rotate the tire. Never went back for another service again. they replace the battery with no problem at poway, did it at 39k miles.... lost 4 bar , had hard time getting 40 miles

Leafy2011 said:
Sorry, it's been a couple days since I've checked in on this thread. I have been waiting for the dealership to receive the new battery and retrofit kit (required for the 2015 "gator" batteries going into 2011 model Leafs). They just received it and I will be getting the install done on Thursday... and should have the car back on Friday.

As far as your questions, I just followed the prescribed maintenance cycle by Nissan. During that cycle, I had two battery checks occur. One paid for by Nissan and the 2nd one more recently was out of pocket but called out as necessary to maintain the warranty. But to be honest, no one has asked me questions either. I did also have to drop the car off for verification so maybe the "maintenance cycle" check was performed then.

What is the 2015 Gator battery?

So far, I've only heard of the Lizard battery which is supposed to withstand heat better.

It is the same. Everyone calls it the lizard battery... Dunno where gator came from...

mxp said:
What is the 2015 Gator battery?
So far, I've only heard of the Lizard battery which is supposed to withstand heat better.

Leafy2011, what dealership in San Diego did you go with? I know that Poway has done 4 Battery changes already. I live closer to the Chula Vista Nissan and they haven't done a battery change yet.

I am currently at 41,337 miles battery shows 2 CB drop at 47.3 so it's about to drop another CB very soon, battery warranty expires March 24th 2016. Hope to hit that 4th bar by then. My daily drive is 40 miles round trip.

Fred

Based on my experience, my guess is that in that climate, you will not make it by next year unless you push the battery very hard...

Wennfred said:
I am currently at 41,337 miles battery shows 2 CB drop at 47.3 so it's about to drop another CB very soon, battery warranty expires March 24th 2016. Hope to hit that 4th bar by then. My daily drive is 40 miles round trip.

Back