What kind of paint for asphalt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

We still have a problem here at work with our one EVSE being ICE'd almost every day even though there are plenty of other spots available. I haven't been able to figure out if people are just dumb or they are being jackasses. The spot does have a sign, but it is on the chain-link fence behind the parking spot, so I suppose it is possible a lot of people don't see it. I asked our facilities manager if I could come in on a weekend and paint the entire spot green and then stencil some letters on top of that saying something to the effect of "electric vehicle charging only." He said that was fine. But I'm not sure what sort of paint I should use for asphalt. And would it be better to spray it on, or roll it on?

Well, here's a blue... You could probably get some yellow tinting at a paint shop and mix up a decent green.

http://www.amazon.com/RAE-3905-01-Handicap-Marking-1-Gallon/dp/B002HRF6VM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424469795&sr=8-2&keywords=%22road+paint%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They actually make special paint just for asphault:
http://www.sealmaster.net/products/pavement-sealers/colorpave-neutral-ready-mix-asphalt-color-blacktop-color-paving-sealcoat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing to keep in mind, if you are painting a large section, is that paint gets slippery when wet. Many specialty paints for blacktop have "grit" mixed in to keep it from getting to slippery. If you decide to use a house type outdoor paint, you might be able to sprinkle sand on the wet paint to give it more traction should it get wet.

My advise personally, would be to call around to a few paving companies and ask for a quote to do the paint job for you. They've already got the right type of paint on-hand for painting as well as the tools and experience in doing it, and if you call around you might get a good deal for doing just 1 space while coming back/going to another job. I imagine it doesn't take that long. (I've never done this, so I could be wrong on it being affordable)

Another alternative - Buy a orange road cone, and leave it in the space. Just move it out of the way when you park, and then put it back when you are done. Unless the parking situation is really bad, most people are going to respect the cone.

Make sure you do a professional looking job, otherwise you may get a bunch of guff back, even though you had permission. An alternative to painting the whole space would be to do a 3x4 patch at the entrance to the space.

davewill said:
Make sure you do a professional looking job, otherwise you may get a bunch of guff back, even though you had permission. An alternative to painting the whole space would be to do a 3x4 patch at the entrance to the space.

Well, that's my plan is to make it look professional. But I'll admit I've never painted asphalt before. But I'm pretty good with stencils and stuff. I have also considered doing a small patch instead of the entire parking space.

Have you considered doing something like in this picture?

95713_1b.jpg

It's simple yet noticeable.

Back