Charging info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysail

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2015 Leaf and I love it. Perfect car for me as my commute is usually less than 20 miles a day.
I was wondering if someone can please explain to me how to use public charging stations as far as payments and subscriptions go. I plan doing a little longer trip this Saturday, which includes picking up some family at Ohare airport. I found that the Ohare oasis on I-294 offers level 3 charging from eVgo. Can I pay with a credit card? Do I need to be a member at each different charging station company? Can anyone lead me in the right direction for an explanation. Some stations say RFID card required.

Thanks,
Jeff

Go here & sign up, these are the 5 major ones:

http://www.nrgevgo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.blinknetwork.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.chargepoint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.semaconnect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gewattstation.com/connect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each will send you a card so that you can swipe in front of the unit, you can also download their Apps and can start charging with those apps. You can also call them from the station to get one started.

And yes, each account is linked to your credit card.

Fred

If you bought your car in Chicago after November 1st, you should have been given an EZ-Charge card that works with Aerovironment, Blink, CarCharging, ChargePoint, Greenlots, and NRG eVgo using a single card, and be enrolled in Nissan's No Charge to Charge program (free 30 min DCQC or 1 hour L2 charging at many pay charge stations).

DesertSprings said:
If you bought your car in Chicago after November 1st, you should have been given an EZ-Charge card that works with Aerovironment, Blink, CarCharging, ChargePoint, Greenlots, and NRG eVgo using a single card, and be enrolled in Nissan's No Charge to Charge program (free 30 min DCQC or 1 hour L2 charging at many pay charge stations).

If I remember correctly, they showed me the website and told me to sign up, but it didn't happen at the dealer. That's something I should be able to do by myself, right?
I am going to register at EZ-charge.com today and see what happens.

They should have given you a brochure with a credit card sized white plastic card inside. That card is your EZ-Pass. You register it online, and then link it to each Charging Network you want to use. Took me less than 10 min to fully register and link everything. Some charging networks take a few days to activate, but once that's done you can use that one card at all the stations I listed above, as well as free charging at some for 2 years.

Started October 2013 - Pilot in Texas DFW and Houston as follows:
Last October, in an effort to move more EVs, Nissan launched the “No Charge to Charge” program in the greater Dallas-Ft Worth and Houston areas. The offer gave new LEAF buyers and lessees free access for one year to all of NRG eVgo’s local Level 2 and DC fast charging Freedom Stations, which amounted to 23 locations in the Dallas-Ft Worth megalopolis, 17 in greater Houston, and local airport Park ‘N’ Fly locations. The six-month program stretched from October 1 to March 31, 2014. According to Nissan, through February 2014, LEAF sales grew in the test markets much faster than the overall regional and national rate: up nearly 60 percent in Dallas-Ft Worth, and up about 150 percent in Houston. Such results were enough to convince Nissan to begin to rollout the program – with some important changes – nationwide.

April 2014 and live July 2014 limited markets with Brandon Jones of Nissan as follows:
The economics are simple: buy an all-electric Nissan LEAF, and you save money by avoiding the gas pump. With Nissan's "No Charge to Charge" promotion, new LEAF buyers in certain markets get an even better deal with two years of free public charging.

New Nissan LEAF drivers are now enjoying free charging at eligible public stations, thanks to the new "No Charge to Charge" program, which is now live in 10 markets across the United States. With free access to charging at more than 2,600 public stations available in the initial program markets, including more than 200 quick chargers, LEAF drivers are also experiencing the "range confidence" that public charging can provide.

The value of "No Charge to Charge" will continue to grow, with Nissan's plans to support the installation of an additional 500 quick chargers at Nissan dealerships and at business and municipal partners in key LEAF markets across the U.S. These quick charging stations can charge a Nissan LEAF battery to 80 percent capacity in about 30 minutes.

"Free charging is a great way for Nissan and our charging partners to make LEAF an unbeatable value for the average American driver," said Brendan Jones, director, Nissan Electric Vehicle Sales and Infrastructure. "The popularity of 'No Charge to Charge' since our April announcement shows that public charging spurs range confidence and additional LEAF sales."

"No Charge to Charge" takes advantage of the new EZ-ChargeSM card, a first-of-its-kind card that offers Nissan LEAF owners access to five leading EV charging networks with a single card:
1. ChargePoint - . http://www.chargepoint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chargepoint dropped out in May 2014 - but is now back - But is gone again (Feb/Mar 2015?) , Nissan - Brendan Jones said, but is now back on board. The issue was one of data and customer management, Jones said, without getting into specifics.

2. Blink - https://www.blinknetwork.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. CarCharging
4. AeroVironment
5. NRG eVgo. http://www.nrgevgo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"No Charge to Charge" has now launched in 10 of the top markets for Nissan LEAF sales, including San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Oregon., Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston and Washington, D.C. In the next year, Nissan plans to offer the "No Charge to Charge" program and EZ-Charge card at LEAF dealers in at least 15 additional U.S. markets.

Participants can locate eligible chargers in the "No Charge to Charge" program online at EZ-Charge.com or PlugShare.com, or by downloading the PlugShare app for iOS or Android. (Note: Not all chargers accessible with the EZ-Charge card are included in the "No Charge to Charge" program.)
Yesterday Mar 5, 2015 - Good Sam Hospital - ChargePoint - Waived my eVgo Nissan card and tested the location EVSE - 2 ports - 1 ICED with a Porsche Cayanne - could have been a Doctor? .50 kWh and 5-6 min later I disconnect and hit a store opening at 10AM - TMI I know.
Get back home and I have a new charge on my Paypal for $25 Startup Deposit from ChargePoint??

Here is the email after they agreed to refund me the deposit - now I will have to do a ton of research to find the true meaning of Nissan's "No Charge To Charge" - maybe we should call in Chicago "Good Luck with the Free Charging Thing" and to decide if they should hold my $25 deposit.
Hello Rex,
Thank you for reaching out to ChargePoint support. I'm sorry that you were given misinformation by Nissan. Only select stations on the ChargePoint network are participating in Nissan's "No Charge to Charge" program. You can find a helpful map at http://www.ez-charge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and make sure you have the "No Charge to Charge" program boxed checked to see all participating stations. I will go ahead and refund your session for $.08 back to your account. If you would also like to be refunded the $25.00 deposit back to your credit card I can do that, but it will knock your credit card information out of our system and you will have 7 days to add a valid credit card or your ChargePoint account will be deleted. A ChargePoint account requires a deposit. To learn more about how the ChargePoint accounts works please see our FAQ section http://www.chargepoint.com/faq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The article "How do I pay for access to a charging station with my ChargePoint card?" should be particularly helpful. Thank you again for contacting ChargePoint support, have a wonderful evening.
Stephanie Hart
Customer Support Repersentative
ChargePoint | chargepoint.com
1-888-758-4389- Driver Support (24/7)

Here are the sites that I found - not easy - since PlugShare seams not to work with either Internet Explorer or Chrome. Where have all the stations gone?

Hits on the free or Nissan Charge for Free Program:
1. Walgreens – Addison – Lake St – Chargepoint – Level 2
2. Village of Addison – Blink - 1 Friendship Plaza - Q2 Level 2
3. Walgreens – Westchester – Roosevelt – nrg eVgo – DC Level 3
4. Berywn Public Parking Garage – 3320 Grove Ave - nrg eVgo – DC Level 3
5. Itasca – Blink – The RDI Group – 1025 W Thorndale Rd – Q1 Level 2
6. O-Hare Toll-road Oasis - nrg eVgo – DC Level 3
7. Lake Forest - Toll-road Oasis - nrg eVgo – DC Level 3
8. Des Plaines I90 Mt.Prospect/Elmhurst Rd - Toll-road Oasis - nrg eVgo – DC Level 3
9. Bloomingdale Square – 396 W Army Trail Rd - nrg eVgo – Level 2
10. Whole Foods Schaumburg – 750 N Martindale - nrg eVgo – DC Level 3 – Level 2

rexki said:
... since PlugShare seams not to work with either Internet Explorer or Chrome.
Something specific not working in those browsers?
Don't want to hijaack the thread, but plugshare seems to work for me in both browsers...

desiv

It only shows DC Level 3 and no matter what the settings are changed to, that is all it shows.

Iit used to do this only under Chrome and IE worked, now neither work.

In a nutshell: All the Level 2 and Level 3 stations are not showing - all boxes checked in the settings menu of the web site.

I figured it out - The option in settings for Nissan Charge Program Reads:

"Show Nissan No Charge to Charge Locations Only"

Turn the box off and whala!!

Will send a comment into PlugShare website to let them know and fix it since this disables all the other selection buttons with them still "lit" or checked.

Back