Override timer with charge command

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Leafpals:

Love my 2013 SV. I have it set to charge to 80% at 2:30 AM every night. Works great. Tonight I will probably start charging this evening by manual command, which should take the car to 100% as I am driving far tomorrow. If the charge has not reached 100% by the time my timer goes off at 2:30 AM, will the timer take precedence and stop the charge?

The lack of a response probably means that a lot of people, like me, aren't sure. My guess is "no" but I'm definitely not sure. I have my main timer set to always charge to 80% whenever the car is plugged in, with the car's limit set to 100%. That lets me override the timer and charge to 100% whenever I want but I don't do it so it overlaps the daily timer "start," which is at 8:00am.

Sending the command from CarWings is exactly the same as pressing the timer override button in the car. It will charge immediately and the timer will remain inactive until the car is unplugged. You can also send it while a timed charge is in progress and the end timer will be ignored. On the 2013 SV/SL, you can set an 80% charge in two ways, globally or in the timer. If the global setting is for 100%, then the override will go to 100%. If the global setting is 80%, the override will go to 80%.

davewill said:
Yes, sending the command from CarWings is exactly the same as pressing the timer override button in the car. It will charge immediately and the timer will remain inactive until the car is unplugged.

Gotcha. Normally what I do is trigger the charge from CarWings when I want to go to 100% the morning I am using the car. Usually I have an hour before leaving, and that is enough. Tomorrow morning I am leaving early, and want to make sure the car is at 100%. Hard to describe the timing. Suffice it to say I could just turn off the timer, and override anyway, but figured I would ask. So, tonight I will trigger the charge manually from CarWings per above, and should then have 100% by morning. Thanks!

Did anyone work out if charging can be stopped.

The electric company I am with will do 1/2 hourly metering, and I could write some software to start (and stop if available) charging.
They supply a time/price matrix and I could say set the car to charge when the price per unit is below 5p and stop if it goes above 10p.

Thanks

LeftieBiker said:
There is currently no way to stop the charge except by unplugging the car - not even with the 2018 Leaf.

Unless the charge station has a timer, or is remotely controlled to stop charge...

Thanks, I can control the 3 KW charging by a Kasa/TP_Link plug, but not the 6 Kw as it has no accessible interface. Myenergi say that they are bringing out software to Zappi, so that may be the way to go.
Thanks.

BigKen54 said:
Did anyone work out if charging can be stopped.

The electric company I am with will do 1/2 hourly metering, and I could write some software to start (and stop if available) charging.
They supply a time/price matrix and I could say set the car to charge when the price per unit is below 5p and stop if it goes above 10p.

Thanks

Unless you have the low-end model Leaf, you can just use the charge timer in the car. Program it to only charge during the times when price is the lowest. You could also get a heavy-duty timer to go between the EVSE and the wall power (like used on pool pumps) and program the charge times in it.

baustin said:
You could also get a heavy-duty timer to go between the EVSE and the wall power (like used on pool pumps) and program the charge times in it.
Even though both the EVSE and on-board charger should be proof against mains power dropping out, I still think it's risky to abruptly start and stop charging sessions "ungracefully" like this. I never heard whether a root cause was found in my case, but my 2011 LEAF suffered a power glitch once while charging, and blew up not only its onboard charger, but popped the 60A fuse in my EVSE as well.

Back