Amended Settlement in Klee v. Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakwcj

The plaintiffs, Nissan, and the objectors -- including Judge Kozinski -- have reached an agreement to amend the original settlement agreement. The agreement still needs to be reduced to writing and submitted to the judge for approval. This should be a mere formality. According to yesterday's [January 8, 2015] filing, the new agreement will have three key provisions:

1. Those qualifying for a battery replacement under the capacity warranty will receive the latest battery chemistry and technology. ["In general, under the amended
agreement, vehicles entitled to a repair under the terms of the Lithium-ion Battery
Capacity Coverage provided by the Settlement Agreement will get a replacement
battery which incorporates ongoing improvements in battery chemistry. "]

2. All class members "will receive 90 days of free access to DC Fast
Chargers (480V) via an EZ-Charge card where available or a $50 check for those
Class Members residing in states where the EZ-Charge card is not available. No
claims procedure will be required to obtain the additional settlement benefits. "

3. Perhaps most importantly for Mike Walsh and other objectors who have been excluded from the capacity warranty because they opted out of the original settlement, "the parties contemplate that all valid opt-outs will be given notice and the opportunity to opt back into the Settlement as modified."

It's not great, especially for those of us who won't have lost four bars within five years, but it's a bit better than the original settlement and it removes the dreaded BT1033 problem.

Mod Edit with updated forms and links:
Updated settlement page:

http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated (legal) settlement agreement:

http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com/Doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ecuted.pdf

Opt-in notice:

http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com/Doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... onsent.pdf

Opt-in form:

http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com/Doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... TJ_web.pdf

I wonder what happens to the folks who've already had new/used modules installed to just barely bring their ride back into 'warranty' conformity. Seems they'd do best to just totally hammer the you know what out of their pack so they can get a completely new one.

="oakwcj"
...It's not great, especially for those of us who won't have lost four bars within five years, but it's a bit better than the original settlement and it removes the dreaded BT1033 problem.

Can you provide a link to the actual terms?

Sounds like I'll probably be staying out of the settlement.

Nissan knows the average LEAF is only driven ~9k miles a year, so it's a bit disingenuous, IMO, to limit the warranty to five years.

edatoakrun said:
="oakwcj"
...It's not great, especially for those of us who won't have lost four bars within five years, but it's a bit better than the original settlement and it removes the dreaded BT1033 problem.

Can you provide a link to the actual terms?

Sounds like I'll probably be staying out of the settlement.

Nissan knows the average LEAF is only driven ~9k miles a year, so it's a bit disingenuous, IMO, to limit the warranty to five years.

No, I can't provide a link to the "actual terms" because they don't yet exist. I quoted the relevant portions from the motion to lift the stay. ["As contemplated by the Amended Term Sheet, the parties are working on a formal Amendment to the Settlement Agreement. ...Once the stay is lifted, the parties intend to submit the proposed opt-out notice and a proposed schedule for presenting the Settlement, as amended, to the Court for approval, including the deadline to file a renewed motion for final approval of class action settlement and related briefing. "]

Thanks for the new info. I dare say that I'll most likely opt back in and roll the dice on getting rid of that 9th bar before winter. At least the modified agreement would seem to preclude the use of refurbished old-style packs.

Too little for me. I won't opt back in, as I expect to hit the 4th bar loss at around 6 years. Will have to decide then whether to file in small claims court.

hill said:
I wonder what happens to the folks who've already had new/used modules installed to just barely bring their ride back into 'warranty' conformity. Seems they'd do best to just totally hammer the you know what out of their pack so they can get a completely new one.
Weren't all the pack replacements being done with new modules? (although there was some question whether they were lizard or not)

Stoaty said:
Too little for me. I won't opt back in, as I expect to hit the 4th bar loss at around 6 years. Will have to decide then whether to file in small claims court.
Stoaty, you may want to check into whether California small claims court has a jurisdictional limit that would preclude what you are contemplating. In Arizona, we have a limit - I think it is $10,000. So if you are suing for damages in excess of $10k you have to file in Superior Court.

leafkabob said:
Stoaty, you may want to check into whether California small claims court has a jurisdictional limit that would preclude what you are contemplating. In Arizona, we have a limit - I think it is $10,000. So if you are suing for damages in excess of $10k you have to file in Superior Court.
Well, I figure fair compensation would be half the price of a new Lizard pack, which including tax and installation would be around $7,000. So I would probably be asking for about $3500.

Stoaty said:
Yes, not much incentive for me to opt-in since I am at three years and haven't dropped the first CB yet. But my reason for opting-out was that I dislike class action suits, which serve primarily to enrich lawyers that specialize in them, at the expense of everyone else. And my battery degradation is in line with the estimates provided by Nissan in my purchase documents, so I don't have any reason to complain, unlike those in very hot places.

I guess I'm a satisfied LEAF customer, for the most part (the crippling of regen by the P3227 update rankles since it was completely unnecessary). So why give support to class action shysters and get exactly nothing?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How do I know if I'm a class member?

Heck, I'll be happy to just get $50.

If you have an 2011 or 2012 model, you're in. If you have to ask, you're probably not, because you should have received notice at the time of the original proposed settlement.

Now waiting until just before the warranty ends is a good idea, you will get a new battery with the latest technology.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How do I know if I'm a class member?

Heck, I'll be happy to just get $50.

I might be wrong since I really don't remember but in some, you have to actively opt out or you are automatically in which I think is the case in the situation. the other case is the opposite which I think is not the case...

but I could be wrong....

In this class action, you were automatically a member unless you wrote to the court to opt out.

While the purported settlement is marginally better than the original, it still penalizes those who use the battery more efficiently and rewards those who don't. A prorated allowance would be more fair.

oakwcj said:
The plaintiffs, Nissan, and the objectors -- including Judge Kozinski -- have reached an agreement to amend the original settlement agreement. The agreement still needs to be reduced to writing and submitted to the judge for approval. This should be a mere formality.

Is there a deadline by when this must be done? This is basically what I already knew 2+ months ago, and this case is approaching 2.5 years old. I can't believe how long some legal things can drag out. :roll:
I'm now down 25%, so I can only hope that I have to endure just one more summer with this degrading battery. My wife constantly wants to opt to take the Prius instead, but I don't want to drag out living with this battery any longer than I have to, so I keep taking our Leaf everywhere, and just dealing with it.

I wonder if those of us who have given our LEAFs back to Nissan get the goodies, or if the new owner gets them instead. I'd guess the new owner since he's the guy who might need to pay for extra DC charging because of the degrading battery.

Too bad I didn't opt out, had other priorities at the time and it slipped through the cracks. Does it mean I shouldn't even try small claims court?

Valdemar said:
Too bad I didn't opt out, had other priorities at the time and it slipped through the cracks. Does it mean I shouldn't even try small claims court?
I suspect you'll have another opportunity given the new settlement.

Back