Tips on selling my LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilliams

I'm finally accepting that I will sell my LEAF and I would appreciate any suggestions about selling it. I have not kept up with the latest information from Nissan regarding the future of the battery. I haven't written my ad yet but I will include the fact that I only daily charged with 110V with a few experiments with Blink charging. What questions might potential buyers ask (other than obvious like mileage and general condition)?

Trickle charging on 120V is not any better for the battery than L2 so I wouldn't bother mentioning that. L3 might make a difference but not much. You should pull your battery stats with LEAF Spy or one of the other apps, that is the most important information for a buyer.

Does this app require a smart phone? I don't have one. Doing a quick read I see a reference to "GID" - what's a gid? I'll keep reading ...

update: just found the wiki article and this is very cool but won't work for me. Still don't know what a gid is ...

CmdrThor said:
Trickle charging on 120V is not any better for the battery than L2 so I wouldn't bother mentioning that. L3 might make a difference but not much. You should pull your battery stats with LEAF Spy or one of the other apps, that is the most important information for a buyer.

This may be a good case of "don't confuse them with the facts". I'd keep it simple really. Stress condition like you would an ICE vehicle - no accidents, garaged (if true), etc. I suspect most 'causal' buyers will be all over the actual range questions - provide accurate info there and perhaps a few logs of where you went and SOC/mileage to back it up. The rest is 'just a car' - if selling mine I'd mention heated seats (front and back) etc - things that make the car nice - even if 'standard' for the Leaf it may not be on whatever other vehicle they are comparing with.

An informed buyer (i.e. someone who reads this forum) may make use of the leafspy info, but how many of those are out there? Even if they happen to look at your car they likely may already have the leafspy on their phone and an OBDII - I certainly would recommend that simple investment to anyone looking to buy a used Leaf.

Good points. The car is pristine - it was my baby - hard to let go but it just sits in a garage now ...

Slow1 said:
This may be a good case of "don't confuse them with the facts". I'd keep it simple really. Stress condition like you would an ICE vehicle - no accidents, garaged (if true), etc. I suspect most 'causal' buyers will be all over the actual range questions - provide accurate info there and perhaps a few logs of where you went and SOC/mileage to back it up. The rest is 'just a car' - if selling mine I'd mention heated seats (front and back) etc - things that make the car nice - even if 'standard' for the Leaf it may not be on whatever other vehicle they are comparing with.

An informed buyer (i.e. someone who reads this forum) may make use of the leafspy info, but how many of those are out there? Even if they happen to look at your car they likely may already have the leafspy on their phone and an OBDII - I certainly would recommend that simple investment to anyone looking to buy a used Leaf.

Yikes, that's pretty depressing ...

My leaf has 22,000 miles and still has all 12 bars though the 12th disappears on occasion and then reappears. Must be on the edge.

EdmondLeaf said:
I do not know how market looks like in CA, but here in OK 2011 SV with 45KM and 9 CB sold for $8.25K

PM me when you're ready to sell, I may be interested for the right price.

11 bars is do-able, less is not. If there's still 12 bars showing that's a plus. IMO that's the main criterion for one of these cars, other than overall condition. Most seem to have been kept up pretty well.

I was out to Walters in Riverside last weekend on a '13 with about 16K miles, SL. Nice car, really clean, 12 bars, but it had a dent and patch on the left front fender, and it was pearl white so a fender fix and reshoot is likely to be a grand. And the wanted $17K and change which I thought was way too much.

Keep in mind a '15 S in CA with quick charge (they all have them that I've seen) is about $18K with all the incentives. A 4-year old model one would have to be quite a bit less. They are having trouble moving them in the $14K-up range, even the ones priced less are sitting. The car really doesn't fit renters or single-car families IMO.

If it's really nice maybe $12K.

I'm thinking of finding somebody with a dealer license and take me to the Manhiem, try to find one with 11 bars for $10K. My local dealer is dreaming with their prices.

It's true, imo, that this is not a single-car family car. No way in most places. My car does not have quick charge, and, as far as I'm concerned that is a huge plus. That means I have not fried the battery with quick charge. I'm not convinced that 110V charging isn't a benefit - slower charge means less heat and less heat means less battery damage. The occasions that I have temporarily lost the 12th bar was after a 240V Blink charge! When I got home and returned to 110V charging the 12th bar came back. It's probably on the edge but Blink (240V) charging definitely puts it over the edge.

I will try craig's list to see what happens. I'm not highly motivated to sell but I know it's the right thing. I have an old Prius as well and decided to keep that rather than the LEAF. The Tesla we bought is our primary car and it is amazing. Tough to choose between the Prius and the LEAF as our second car but idealism lost out and the LEAF will go.

CJBROWN said:
PM me when you're ready to sell, I may be interested for the right price.

11 bars is do-able, less is not. If there's still 12 bars showing that's a plus. IMO that's the main criterion for one of these cars, other than overall condition. Most seem to have been kept up pretty well.

I was out to Walters in Riverside last weekend on a '13 with about 16K miles, SL. Nice car, really clean, 12 bars, but it had a dent and patch on the left front fender, and it was pearl white so a fender fix and reshoot is likely to be a grand. And the wanted $17K and change which I thought was way too much.

Keep in mind a '15 S in CA with quick charge (they all have them that I've seen) is about $18K with all the incentives. A 4-year old model one would have to be quite a bit less. They are having trouble moving them in the $14K-up range, even the ones priced less are sitting. The car really doesn't fit renters or single-car families IMO.

If it's really nice maybe $12K.

I'm thinking of finding somebody with a dealer license and take me to the Manhiem, try to find one with 11 bars for $10K. My local dealer is dreaming with their prices.

I agree that L-1 charging may be easier on the battery in most conditions (and it seems to help keep it just warm enough in Winter here). I also agree with Slow1 that you want to focus on the commonalities with other cars, emphasizing only the easily understood pluses of an EV like low maintenance, no fumes, and not having to stop at gas stations.

bwilliams said:
Does this app require a smart phone? I don't have one. Doing a quick read I see a reference to "GID" - what's a gid?

I will send you a PM with my number, we can get together and I can read your battery stats.

**Note** PM stuck in Out Box & won't send.

Fred

Congratulations on the Tesla :D
Too bad we aren't all able to afford a Tesla :cry:
Keeping the Prius as the second car over the LEAF is an obvious but sad choice.
I still need to get rid of the third car my LEAF eliminated the need for but hard to let go of something you once loved :cry:

Value on used LEAFs is pretty bad some places. Better where you are.

When someone in WA can buy a new 2013 S LEAF for a bit over $11,000 where do you expect it to be :?:
And at the right dealer a new heat resistant battery might be <$4,200.
brg2290 said:
The reason a 2013 new purchase is attractive to me is the low purchase price. Here's an example: 2013 Leaf S purchase with VPP, Dealer, Owner Loyalty and Fed. tax incentive.

26986 VPP Invoice Pricing
+1127 Charger pkg. (Invoice)
28113 Subtotal
- 1000 VPP customer cash
27113 Subtotal
- 7500 Dealer Cash
19613 Subtotal
- 1000 Owner Loyalty
18613 Subtotal
- 7500 Federal Tax incentive
$11,113 Total - (Zero $ sales tax for EV’s in WA. state)

I would emphasize that your LEAF is a good choice for the right person with short distance travel needs that doesn't go too far from the beach.
And that Nissan finally kind of stood behind the product with replacement heat resistant batteries that may last longer

I just replied and thank you for that offer. Too bad my LEAF probably wouldn't even make it to where you live and round trip is out of the question. : (

Wennfred said:
bwilliams said:
Does this app require a smart phone? I don't have one. Doing a quick read I see a reference to "GID" - what's a gid?

I will send you a PM with my number, we can get together and I can read your battery stats.

**Note** PM stuck in Out Box & won't send.

Fred

Thanks about the tesla - and if there's any possible way to buy one do it! We bought the least expensive option and we were told that LEAF owners typically buy the 60 (smaller battery) because we aren't worried about getting "only" 200 miles after driving a car that gets 60 miles at best (in our case).

The Prius has become the "truck" - doesn't matter if it gets dirty or more scratched than it already is though after driving the Tesla I hate driving the gassy beast.

TimLee said:
Congratulations on the Tesla :D
Too bad we aren't all able to afford a Tesla :cry:
Keeping the Prius as the second car over the LEAF is an obvious but sad choice.

Value on used LEAFs is pretty bad some places. Better where you are.

I would emphasize that your LEAF is a good choice for the right person with short distance travel needs that doesn't go too far from the beach.
And that Nissan finally kind of stood behind the product with replacement heat resistant batteries that may last longer

bwilliams said: "The Prius has become the "truck" - doesn't matter if it gets dirty or more scratched than it already is though after driving the Tesla I hate driving the gassy beast."

The Prius is a "gassy beast"?? C'mon man! :roll:

bwilliams said:
I just replied and thank you for that offer. Too bad my LEAF probably wouldn't even make it to where you live and round trip is out of the question. : (

New PM sent, a good 1/2 way meeting point is Bloomingdales in Fashion Valley and there is a few charging stations across the street.

I have the ERG card.

Fred

Drive a Tesla for a week and tell me if you can ever drive a gas car again ... : ) The Prius is a slug.

derkraut said:
bwilliams said: "The Prius has become the "truck" - doesn't matter if it gets dirty or more scratched than it already is though after driving the Tesla I hate driving the gassy beast."

The Prius is a "gassy beast"?? C'mon man! :roll:

Update:

Lots of interest in our Leaf which is in immaculate condition (I hand washed always, wicked anal about where I parked, no food allowed in car ...)

KBB estimate is $13,700. I'm asking 13,500, got offer $12,500. It's a steal and a no-brainer for someone to buy this car given a local commute. Wish I'd had the opportunity to buy used! Any thoughts on price?

Back