Does the 2015 Leaf have improved battery capacity (range)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorenfb

While at a SoCal Nissan dealer to have my Leaf's first annual inspection and service, I gained
access to a new on-the-lot 2015 Leaf. Having my cell phone with LeafSpy and my BT OBDII adapter,
I was able to gather battery data.

A number of forum members have posted battery data on late Leaf's which indicated battery capacities
of about 68 Ahrs. This number, given the limited reportings, seemed to be an anomaly or possibly
a reporting problem with the battery controller in those vehicles, as most earlier Leafs have about
60 Ahrs when new, which was the case for my 2013 Leaf delivered late 2013.

Well, the LeafSpy data confirmed the higher capacity number of the 2015 Leaf as follows;
SOC - 91%, Ahrs - 64, GIDS - 270. Using that data and calculating for a SOC of 100%;
Ahrs - 70.3, GIDS - 296.7. Using a nominal battery voltage of 390 volts at a SOC=100%,
one gets an energy capacity of 27.4KwHrs.

So now corroboration in the form of a comparative test drive, as was done by Tony Williams
recently in the Kia Soul with its greater capacity than the original Leaf's of about 24KwHrs,
needs to be done. This will at least determine whether the measured additional capacity
of the 2015 Leaf provides any additional range over the original value of 84 miles. Additionally,
such a test will also help determine whether there's a real significant range difference between
the 2015 Leaf and the just available Kia Soul BEV.

We don't know whether the Gids read on the 2015 are the same as Gids read on earlier Leafs, so at this point any discussion about increased capacity/range is pure speculation. Also, if the range was improved, you can bet Nissan would have been trumpeting that fact, and it would be on the official EPA sticker.

Stoaty said:
We don't know whether the Gids read on the 2015 are the same as Gids read on earlier Leafs, so at this point any discussion about increased capacity/range is pure speculation. Also, if the range was improved, you can bet Nissan would have been trumpeting that fact, and it would be on the official EPA sticker.

I'm less concerned about GIDs versus Ahrs which is a true measure of ANY battery capacity.
Obviously, the coulomb count over the various years must be reliable and consistent, e.g. the current
probe hasn't changed. A range test, as suggested, should resolve the uncertainty issue.

lorenfb said:
A number of forum members have posted battery data on late Leaf's which indicated battery capacities of about 68 Ahrs. This number, given the limited reportings, seemed to be an anomaly or possibly a reporting problem with the battery controller in those vehicles, as most earlier Leafs have about 60 Ahrs when new, which was the case for my 2013 Leaf delivered late 2013.
I can't agree with this statement. 2011-12 Leafs had about 66.25 Ah when new. Some of the 2013 Leafs had about the same Ah reading, some started lower and often moved up over time. The 2013 and 2011 Leafs were found to have the same range. Based on this information, I would say at most the 2015 Leaf might have an additional 1.75 Ah. As I said before, if the range were greater, Nissan would certainly have it on the EPA sticker.

lorenfb said:
Well, the LeafSpy data confirmed the higher capacity number of the 2015 Leaf as follows;
SOC - 91%, Ahrs - 64, GIDS - 270. Using that data and calculating for a SOC of 100%;
Ahrs - 70.3, GIDS - 296.7. Using a nominal battery voltage of 390 volts at a SOC=100%,
Lots of technical errors here - a few that others have pointed out already:

1. AHrs do not change with SOC. So if the AHr reading is 64 at 91%, it will not increase to 70 Ah at 100%.
2. If reading SOC from LEAFSpy, your typical LEAF will hit "100%" at an actual 92-97% indicated SOC. Unless you actually charge until it stops, you won't know what the final SOC will be.
3. 390V is way too high for a nominal voltage. Nominal battery voltage is 3.75V / cell or 360V.

If you want to see if the '15 LEAF has more range, just take one for a range test using Tony's test protocol.

Stoaty said:
Also, if the range was improved, you can bet Nissan would have been trumpeting that fact, and it would be on the official EPA sticker.

I wouldn't be so sure, first the testing is expensive and long. Even GM stated they had increased the capacity of the volt by 0.5kwhr but didn't feel that it was worth it to go through the testing again. Second (and probably one of the reasons GM didn't do a new EPA test) the 2nd gen Nissan BEV's are slated to come out in 2016 and 2017 (Infiniti then Gen 2 Leaf). If you don't retest for 1 model year then when the 2nd gen comes out you get to advertise X% better than the previous models rating and you get people to pay a premium for the new car which you can also finance at higher rates. The bigger they can make X the better it will sound.

drees said:
lorenfb said:
Lots of technical errors here - a few that others have pointed out already:

1. AHrs do not change with SOC. So if the AHr reading is 64 at 91%, it will not increase to 70 Ah at 100%.
2. If reading SOC from LEAFSpy, your typical LEAF will hit "100%" at an actual 92-97% indicated SOC. Unless you actually charge until it stops, you won't know what the final SOC will be.
3. 390V is way too high for a nominal voltage. Nominal battery voltage is 3.75V / cell or 360V.

If you want to see if the '15 LEAF has more range, just take one for a range test using Tony's test protocol.

Both my LeafDD and my LeafSpy data gathering and analysis over the last six months disagrees.
Many on this forum have the same resources as I have, so where're the actual refuting data?
As I stated, a driving test needs to be done.

Furthermore, there're indications that the Leaf has an improved battery for high temps (lizard) and
I've yet to see any Nissan advertising of such. Nissan lacks an Elon to promote its product changes!

JeremyW said:
Amp hours as measured/calculated by the leaf does not change with SOC. It is a capacity measurement independent of SOC.

The last time I checked using the either the LeafDD or the LeafSpy, they changed together.
After fully changing over night the SOC is 100% and the Ahrs value is 56.5. After a lengthy trip,
the Ahrs value is 18 and the SOC is 32%.

With the leaf DD you can set the main screen to Gids, SOC, or Ah times SOC (to give Ah remaining in the battery).

In leafspy the only place Ah is displayed is on the page with all the cell voltages.

- JeremyW -

"Ah times SOC (to give Ah remaining in the battery)."

Yes, agreed! It's as simple as that. Or divide the present Ahrs by the present SOC to get the initial Ahrs.

Back