CA HOV Stickers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fogdog

I purchased my LEAF on 9/1. Dealer claimed all DMV paperwork was submitted and I should have plates in 2 weeks and HOV stickers in about 3. Salesperson I worked with left company. Couldn't get anyone to help until finally someone else told me that Nissan dealers no longer do HOV sticker paperwork and I need to submit it myself. Not sure if this is true or not, but I went ahead and submitted the application anyway 2 weeks ago. Check hasn't cleared yet. Several calls to DMV and they tell me I just have to keep waiting - they have no way to give me any information about the HOV stickers.

Does anyone know how this process works and why it has taken so long? Am I doing something wrong? Does Nissan really not submit this paperwork anymore? In which case, how long have you typically waited from mailing your application to receiving stickers. I'm worried that after 2 weeks, if they haven't even cashed the check, that something is not right.

Any advice/help/insights appreciated. Thanks!

fogdog said:
I purchased my LEAF on 9/1. Dealer claimed all DMV paperwork was submitted and I should have plates in 2 weeks and HOV stickers in about 3. Salesperson I worked with left company. Couldn't get anyone to help until finally someone else told me that Nissan dealers no longer do HOV sticker paperwork and I need to submit it myself. Not sure if this is true or not, but I went ahead and submitted the application anyway 2 weeks ago. Check hasn't cleared yet. Several calls to DMV and they tell me I just have to keep waiting - they have no way to give me any information about the HOV stickers.

Does anyone know how this process works and why it has taken so long? Am I doing something wrong? Does Nissan really not submit this paperwork anymore? In which case, how long have you typically waited from mailing your application to receiving stickers. I'm worried that after 2 weeks, if they haven't even cashed the check, that something is not right.

I am surprised your dealer ever did it. And it is not "Nissan" it is the Nissan dealership franchise that did it on your behalf. Similar to how Dianne on PriusChat does the same thing for her Plug-In Prius customers and tries to get the sticker on the car before sale even.

2 weeks at a DMV is nothing. They probably haven't even been through that stack of letters yet. Can't you just go down to the DMV and get it all done while there? That's how it works in Colorado. I walked in and out in 20 minutes with my stickers in hand. Doesn't do me any good since we have no HOV lanes within Leaf distance, but it is required for EV's lol

I'd give it two more weeks or so. There are other threads on this and I think the DMV can take up to a month to cash the check and then another week or two to send you the stickers. It took that long for me, and then when I open it up I come to find that they returned the check because of a problem with my address! So, 1.) be a little more patient, and 2.) hope that they don't find something picky wrong with the address in their record vs. the address you put on the form!

As for dealers pre-filling out the forms, I've heard of that but I don't think it's "legit", since I think you need the license plate number for the form. Maybe they fill out everything but, and as soon as they can determine you plate #, they append it somehow to the form, perhaps electronically? Even if that's the case, it wouldn't speed up the process that much, since the bottleneck appears to be with/inside the DMV itself. Perhaps someone here will know more and chime in.

ps. As for getting a sticker by going in person, nope... can't be done in CA. I just spoke with them and asked that very question today(!)

Edit: simple a grammar correction :)

I got plate 2 weeks after buying Leaf, then submitted application and check to CA DMV, received stickers 3 weeks later.

fogdog said:

mbender said:
As for dealers pre-filling out the forms, I've heard of that but I don't think it's "legit", since I think you need the license plate number for the form. Maybe they fill out everything but, and as soon as they can determine you plate #, they append it somehow to the form, perhaps electronically? Even if that's the case, it wouldn't speed up the process that much, since the bottleneck appears to be with/inside the DMV itself. Perhaps someone here will know more and chime in.

Edit: simple a grammar correction :)

The DMV has had a process set up for just over a year for dealers to legitimately get HOV lane stickers for inventory cars before selling them.

More info:
http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1113533253235-36/Dealer+Guide+to+DMV+HOV+Decal+Orders.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure I read on the DMV instructions to allow at least 30 days.

I applied after reading the instructions on the DMV site. I made sure I waited until my registration arrived with the plates, as instructed.
I sent it in, and they sent it back 3 weeks later, no stickers. They explained that the "motive power" designation on my registration was incorrect- the dealer designated it as "G", and it should have been "E". Maybe the DMV could have figured that one out- no such thing as a gas powered Leaf.
I had to get a "form 256" statement of facts and take it to the dealer to get them to explain their mistake on the form and sign it.
This has been a one letter DMV fiasco so far.
Sending it all in again tomorrow.

The DMV has had a process set up for just over a year for dealers to legitimately get HOV lane stickers for inventory cars before selling them.

More info:
http://origin.library.constantcontact.c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Orders.pdf

If this is true, I would definitely urge others who are considering a LEAF to find a dealer that does this. It's a great idea and great service.
Mine clearly did not and had I known it would be screwed up this badly, I would've just stuck with my Honda CNG.
Now entering month 3 of no stickers...and no end in sight. I've heard of others who have had the same, smooth, 3 week experience as min68 above, but I guess if it goes wrong, it goes very, very wrong :(

I'm quite certain one is required to provide a license plate number when applying for HOV decals in California. My plates arrived in about two weeks and the HOV decals about four weeks after applying.

silentbutnotdeadly said:

I applied after reading the instructions on the DMV site. I made sure I waited until my registration arrived with the plates, as instructed.
I sent it in, and they sent it back 3 weeks later, no stickers. They explained that the "motive power" designation on my registration was incorrect- the dealer designated it as "G", and it should have been "E". Maybe the DMV could have figured that one out- no such thing as a gas powered Leaf.
I had to get a "form 256" statement of facts and take it to the dealer to get them to explain their mistake on the form and sign it.

Exactly what happened to me with my Spark, only the GM dealer put in a Q instead of an E. (Q means Volt.) The form letter was very specific about the statement of facts and how it should be signed and dated, etc. I had the clerk at the dealer re-do it in blue ink since the black ink made it look like a copy (letter said only an original would be accepted) and she had left off her title and the date...

All in, it took from 8-12 to 10-18 to get the plates and then the stickers. The good news is that the wait AFTER sending the statement of facts was only about 2 weeks...

when your check is cashed, your stickers are about a week to 10 days away.
you can also call the special unit. i dont have the phone number any longer, but you can get it by calling dmv in sacto.

silentbutnotdeadly said:

My dealer made the same mistake and I received the same rejection letter from the DMV. I took no action as I don't really care about the HOV sticker and the dealer I purchased from is not near my house. I have wondered if this effects my registration costs, and if I will be required to smog my Leaf when it is 4 years old and up for it's first smog. I leased, so it may not ever be an issue for me if I turn it in at the end of the 3 year lease.

Thanks for the number(s). I just called the first and was told that they are currently working on applications from Oct 23rd. So if they're roughly two weeks behind and it takes a week or two after to get the stickers, I'd count on a good month from the date you mail in the application.

As for
silentbutnotdeadly said:
Maybe the DMV could have figured that one out- no such thing as a gas powered Leaf.
I don't think they can change anything -- regardless of how obvious -- on any paperwork submitted by 'the public'.

Then again, they might have thought you were trying to get stickers for a leaf blower. :lol:

mbender said:
Thanks for the number(s). I just called the first and was told that they are currently working on applications from Oct 23rd. So if they're roughly two weeks behind and it takes a week or two after to get the stickers, I'd count on a good month from the date you mail in the application.

As for
silentbutnotdeadly said:
Maybe the DMV could have figured that one out- no such thing as a gas powered Leaf.
I don't think they can change anything -- regardless of how obvious -- on any paperwork submitted by 'the public'.

Then again, they might have thought you were trying to get stickers for a leaf blower. :lol:
Will they help you to check the status of your application? I have sent my application for almost a month and my check is still not cashed yet.

She said the number I called was the right one to call. We didn't go any further once we determined that they weren't up to the date mine likely came in on. I should have asked more questions (like the one your asking), but too quickly decided to just call back in a couple of weeks. A month sounds long though, so there might have been something missing or wrong with the application. I'd call one or both numbers and ask them to look into it!

The entire process for my second leaf took nearly SIX months. Bought the car in November and did not get the stickers until April. Infuriating. This should be streamlined so that cars that meet requirements and are eligible have paperwork filed simultaneously with plate acquisition. Is just so antiquated.

I saw a Volt in Las Vegas with Nevada plates and California Green stickers. Is this because the car was previously registered in California, or are out-of-state plug-ins allowed to apply for the stickers?

All the things I have seen indicate it must be registered in California. Of course, if the person moves, they might leave the stickers on. Perhaps they don't know how to get them off without damage.

Back