Clim Ctrl Timer Use Without Charging when EVSE Plugged-in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmatthias

I normally go about a week between L2 charges. However, the mornings are getting a bit nippy these days here in New England. What I would like to do is to plug-in my EVSE at night and have the Climate Control Timer activate WITHOUT charging.

I haven't been able to to turn off the charging function but have the EVSE supply the power for the Climate Control Timer. Is there a trick to doing this? I know that charging gets delayed if a Charge Timer is set, but I don't want to charge; I just want to power the Climate Control.

Any insights would be appreciated!

TIA,

Theo

I believe it should be possible to set the target end time for the charge to be well beyond when you plan to leave. Ex: you plan to leave at 7AM, set the climate control to come on at 6:45AM, set the charge to get done at 2PM. It should then plan the charge to begin around 10AM, well after you've already left.

kikngas said:
I believe it should be possible to set the target end time for the charge to be well beyond when you plan to leave. Ex: you plan to leave at 7AM, set the climate control to come on at 6:45AM, set the charge to get done at 2PM. It should then plan the charge to begin around 10AM, well after you've already left.

Thanks so much! I will try that tonight.

I am also going to experiment with having the start and end charge time being the same time, say 6:00 am. Not sure if that will work but I'll report back,

Again, thanks kikngas!

Theo

tmatthias said:
I normally go about a week between L2 charges. However, the mornings are getting a bit nippy these days here in New England. What I would like to do is to plug-in my EVSE at night and have the Climate Control Timer activate WITHOUT charging.

I haven't been able to to turn off the charging function but have the EVSE supply the power for the Climate Control Timer. Is there a trick to doing this? I know that charging gets delayed if a Charge Timer is set, but I don't want to charge; I just want to power the Climate Control.

Any insights would be appreciated!

TIA,
Theo
The only time charging doesn't happen when powering climate from L2 is when the battery is fully charged. Otherwise, climate control will draw most of the L2 power - excess power goes to charging (assuming the climate timer has priority).

Set the charge timer to 80%, with climate priority. Set both the charge end and climate timers to a couple minutes past your regular departure time. When you unplug, the battery will be about 80% charged (will vary with weather), the cabin will be warm, and the battery will be slightly warmed up.

It sounds like you have a very short commute. If you don't want to charge (greater than 50% remaining), don't plug in. The climate timer still works (I think).

----
A technical trick, if your L2 EVSE allows it (but not recommended). Estimate the power the climate control draws when running. Configure the L2 EVSE to limit power to the same power. L2 charging will be slower, but when the climate control starts, there would be little excess power (or even a small deficit) to go towards charging. If there is a deficit, the difference comes out of the battery.

Climate control power is not constant - it decreases once the cabin is warmed up, and warm-up depends on how cold it got.
----

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to charge, even slightly. Do you have a long downhill drive just off your driveway and want to capture some of that regen energy?

brettcgb said:
...It sounds like you have a very short commute. If you don't want to charge (greater than 50% remaining), don't plug in. The climate timer still works (I think).
I believe that doesn't work and the CC timer only works when the car is plugged-in. However, the OP can remotely start the CC system using Carwings via a computer or smartphone.
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to charge, even slightly. Do you have a long downhill drive just off your driveway and want to capture some of that regen energy?
Ditto. The small amount of charging that occurs while the timer Climate Control system is active seems inconsequential (to me, at least).

dgpcolorado said:
I believe that doesn't work and the CC timer only works when the car is plugged-in. However, the OP can remotely start the CC system using Carwings via a computer or smartphone.
Yep. The CC timer doesn't turn on if not plugged in on my 2014 SV. I don't have the option to charge to 80% either; Nissan removed that for the 2014 model year :roll: . I have used CarWings to turn CC on but I wanted something more automated. (Note to self, experiment with Mac's Automator to run a script for this)
dgpcolorado said:
Ditto. The small amount of charging that occurs while the timer Climate Control system is active seems inconsequential (to me, at least).
Well, I'm actually in the process of collecting some data between charges (20% to 100%) for the next month or so. After that, I'll set a charging end timer and set the CC timer.

Thanks for the input!

tmatthias said:
dgpcolorado said:
Well, I'm actually in the process of collecting some data between charges (20% to 100%) for the next month or so. After that, I'll set a charging end timer and set the CC timer.

Thanks for the input!
Got a smartphone? Get something like LeafSpy Pro and start logging data. There's much more data in the system than is presented on the dash.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&hilit=+Leafspy+Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The weather is changing, and likely changing quickly.

brettcgb said:
Got a smartphone? Get something like LeafSpy Pro and start logging data. There's much more data in the system than is presented on the dash.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&hilit=+Leafspy+Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The weather is changing, and likely changing quickly.
Exactly where I am heading! I've ordered the OBDII wifi transmitter and will be getting Leaf Stat for the iPhone. Meanwhile, I certainly understand why it is called the "GOM"! :D

Back