Gold security plus: how much did you pay for an inspection?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenx7

So I did it. I purchased the gold security plus with $0 deductible and I was super pleased. I'd say it's just added security for my newly acquired 2011. So of course I was told it needed an Inspection. Sure I understand that, so I made an appointment. No one at the dealership had any idea what this inspection was so I made sure they called me before anything was done. I received the phone call and they still had no idea what it was they needed to do. Second callback and they told me a usual I spection is Two hours labor. Ok I was told it was around 110.00 on average, then I was proceeded to be told that since it was a leaf and there was "so much more to inspect on these and only 2 certified leaf technicians" the could would at minimum be $250. More than half of my 2 year warranty. I told them to not do a thing and I'll return my warranty.
What has been the amount everyone here has paid on any of these inspections? I have to say my experience with my leaf driving has been great. But everything else has been a chore. Dealers, dmv, etc have been a nightmare. Mind you the same dealer did the latest service campaign and a full inspection of the car 3 weeks ago. Roar tested it and everything. Car is still not registered because dmv didn't know how to handle the registration and it's been 3 weeks of going to dmv and them trying to tax me when there's no tax on BEVs and they keep getting confused by the title. But that's another thread.
Any thoughts on the security plus inspection?

Had 2011 LEAF for 41 months.
Dealer has done three inspections and not charged for them at all.
I have paid for a cabin filter change, one brake fluid flush, the third annual battery test, and the third inspection found alignment was out (which it was, had small pull to the right) and I paid for the alignment.

You need to find a better dealer to service your LEAF.
There isn't anything more complicated about a LEAF inspection.
Actually easier.
Less things to check.
$250 is insane.

If you bought the used Leaf from a dealer, then they should be responsible for the cost of the inspection. But if you bought it from a private party, I guess you're at the mercy of the people selling the policy to be confident that you're not trying to insure a car that's already in trouble.

You could get quotes from other dealers for the price of GS+ and inspection. These things are always negotiable and a dealer has a "responsibility" to get as much money from you as they can, so unless you balk, they will charge more.

Another plan is to bring in the car to another dealer for a low-cost used-car inspection. Don't mention GS+. Once they have completed the inspection, ask a salesman for a price on GS+. Once you have that quote, they can't ask extra for inspection, because it's already done.

Bob

Bob said:
If you bought the used Leaf from a dealer, then they should be responsible for the cost of the inspection. But if you bought it from a private party, I guess you're at the mercy of the people selling the policy to be confident that you're not trying to insure a car that's already in trouble.

You could get quotes from other dealers for the price of GS+ and inspection. These things are always negotiable and a dealer has a "responsibility" to get as much money from you as they can, so unless you balk, they will charge more.

Another plan is to bring in the car to another dealer for a low-cost used-car inspection. Don't mention GS+. Once they have completed the inspection, ask a salesman for a price on GS+. Once you have that quote, they can't ask extra for inspection, because it's already done.

Bob

Off topic but interesting take on ripping people off.

Wow,
So just got off the phone with their service manager Tony,
Basically they can charge whatever they want, as he let me know, and they do a flat rate of 250.00 Supposedly because thats what the "warranty company wants"
When i called him out on that since i spoke to the issuer's He said well actually the dealer dictates the price and thats that.
I asked why no one could tell me the price before hand when i asked 3 different people they said The girl just makes appointments and doesn't know prices...
What about the technician i spoke to? He had no idea what that inspection was, and then the service manager proceeded to call me a liar because all their technicians know its 250.00 for car. Mind you their tech that called me back explicitly said standard cars are cheaper, we charge 250 because its a leaf...
Avoid Meadowlands nissan like the world is ending in East Ruthford NJ

sevenx7 said:
I have to say my experience with my leaf driving has been great. But everything else has been a chore. Dealers, dmv, etc have been a nightmare. .... Car is still not registered because dmv didn't know how to handle the registration and it's been 3 weeks of going to dmv and them trying to tax me when there's no tax on BEVs and they keep getting confused by the title.

I find this interesting.
NJ DMV is a State wide agency, No?
They have, as a State, Registered HOW MANY Leaf's??

How hard is it?
Plug in the VIN, and out pops the result?

I went to New Jersey in my Leaf because they offer Green EZ Pass tags for EV's.
No problem there. Plug in the VIN, out pops my green EZ Pass.

Also, my dealer is great.
A Free Leaf Loaner even when he did my 2 free battery inspections.

I'm sorry you are having troubles, but I think it's the exception not the rule.
Good Luck

security plus - some kind of extended warranty? seems like any inspection should (have) be(en) done before covering the car w the extended warranty. why would the warranty (insurance) co want to cover a risk they don't have all the info about. I guess you should at least have gotten an 'all in' price for it. Probably worth telling whoever sold you the pack, you are refunding it because the service dept is charging a lot for the 'required inspection', you might witness a quick phone call "to the back".

BTW - New Jersey is 'The Garden State', all the people from there are Gardeners.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, the Keystone state, would make them … Stoners ? Keyers ?

sevenx7 said:
Any thoughts on the security plus inspection?

They will charge you the going rate for labor rounded up to the nearest hour, unless you negotiated this cost with the purchase of the pre-paid repairs. They will *not* spend more than an hour inspecting the car. When they said it's $110 on average, that probably means their hourly labor rate is $110. If they say it's any more than the hourly labor rate, they are scumbags.

Their labor rate was 125.00 an hour. They claimed it would take 2 1/2 hours for the inspection. The dealer who sold me the warranty just laughed and said they were ripping me off, since there is a lot less to check on a leaf, not more.
I'm just looking for other dealers now...

Did you buy Security+Plus only, or with Prepaid Maintenance Plan and which level of plan? See second last page in the link below

I paid $1,495 (yes, I got ripped off) for Security+Plan for 2012 LEAF SL. I'm going to check if it includes the prepaid Maintenance.

What components are specified in your plan?

Mine has, engine, exhaust etc....to name a couple. None of those are obviously in the LEAF.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/extendedserviceplans/MaintenancePlus.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I threw my money away & I regret getting the plan.

:x

I got the 0 deductible security plus gold for 2 years. paid 408.00
no maintenance.
in other news my car is finally registered, And the inspection station said no inspection required!

cool!

Back