LEAF Stolen!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Institutionalised

My 2014 Nissan LEAF was stolen Friday (10/3). It was parked overnight and missing in the morning. Carwings showed a range of 60 miles which has since decreased to 59.

Does anyone know of a way for Nissan to provide location data as I have read on here that the car does report it.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Walking in Atlanta

Institutionalised said:
My 2014 Nissan LEAF was stolen Friday (10/3). It was parked overnight and missing in the morning. Carwings showed a range of 60 miles which has since decreased to 59.

Does anyone know of a way for Nissan to provide location data as I have read on here that the car does report it.
Not sure about Nissan.. but it sounds as if it was either taken away on a flatbed, or if somehow it were driven it didn't go very far.

You wouldn't even need a flatbed if the parking brake was never set. Just lift it up by the front wheels and the tow truck operator is good to go.

Maybe Nissan can track the car, but I don't believe we can. Report it to the authorities and as long as you don't have the cheap-o S-model you can turn on all of the charge notifications in carwings. Then at least you'll know if it's being plugged in, and if it happens to be on the chargepoint network, it does track exactly where your car is located.

Institutionalised said:

-Walking in Atlanta

Are you sure it was not just towed? If it was not in a legal spot or at home you can call your local PD or tow yard. This is a very common.

For some reason since it was installed I paid for LoJack. Given the range that was a foolish purchase even though it was just $250.

EVDRIVER said:
Institutionalised said:

-Walking in Atlanta

Are you sure it was not just towed? If it was not in a legal spot or at home you can call your local PD or tow yard. This is a very common.

That is a good idea. Unless it was parked in your driveway there is a good chance it was towed.

Although it doesn't apply in this case, about two million starter interrupt devices have already been installed on financed used vehicles, to technologically extend the reach of the repo man:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/miss-a-payment-good-luck-moving-that-car/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article&_r=2&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt:
"Some borrowers say their cars were disabled when they were only a few days behind on their payments, leaving them stranded in dangerous neighborhoods. Others said their cars were shut down while idling at stoplights. Some described how they could not take their children to school or to doctor’s appointments. One woman in Nevada said her car was shut down while she was driving on the freeway."

timhebb said:
It may or may not be the case in this instance, but about two million starter interrupt devices have already been installed on financed used vehicles, to technologically extend the reach of the repo man:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/miss-a-payment-good-luck-moving-that-car/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article&_r=2&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt:
"Some borrowers say their cars were disabled when they were only a few days behind on their payments, leaving them stranded in dangerous neighborhoods. Others said their cars were shut down while idling at stoplights. Some described how they could not take their children to school or to doctor’s appointments. One woman in Nevada said her car was shut down while she was driving on the freeway."

I read about those as well and that is a whole other topic entirely.

These likely would be much harder to install on a Leaf... They are also generally only used on borrowers who are subprime...

timhebb said:
Although it doesn't apply in this case, about two million starter interrupt devices have already been installed on financed used vehicles, to technologically extend the reach of the repo man

No luck from Nissan, they said unless LoJack was installed they cannot get any location data. The vehicle was/is an SV.

I was 99% sure it was towed (from a legal street spot) but after calling all of the 7 impound lots the city uses and after filing a police report and them doing their own search I don't have any other explanation.

The range is still showing 59 miles, so either no one is driving it or the module was stripped and still communicating that info.

I recall that carwings USED TO HAVE a feature that let you plot a trip from the cars current location. They turned off that feature, but it implies that location data was being sent.

I would keep turning on the heater until the battery runs down to limit their range....

Institutionalised said:
No luck from Nissan, they said unless LoJack was installed they cannot get any location data. The vehicle was/is an SV.
Well, you can bet SOMEBODY at Nissan has the ability to find the car. They are just not offering that information for whatever reason. I suspect it is probably for legal reasons, afraid somebody will implicate them in helping a stalker or something like that. But I would think a police report of a stolen car should be good enough.

It's sitting somewhere... If stripped, it would stop reporting. Of course, in 14 days it will anyway...

Institutionalised said:
The range is still showing 59 miles, so either no one is driving it or the module was stripped and still communicating that info.

Back