Using Dryer plug to charge EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boorobo

I want to buy a Clipper Creek LCS25p L6-30

My dryer plug is a NEMA 10-30

I found a 10-30 to L6-30 Adapter for sale.

Was planning on using this until I heard from a Clipper Creek rep that:

" It would not be advisable from a safety stand point to utilize the 10-30 receptacle with an adapter for the LCS-25P. The reason being is that the NEMA 10-30 receptacle uses a Neutral wire as opposed to an earth ground, the LCS-25P requires an earth ground connection in order to operate correctly, additionally when charging a vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station, if a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral can actually carry power to the vehicle which could result in a hazard when touching the vehicle during or after charging."

Was wondering how valid this is and what is the likelihood of risk I would face if I do use the adapter?

Neutral and Ground are bonded in your main panel. Put some green tape on the wire at each end and call it a ground.
Non issue. Charge up and drive.

smkettner said:
Neutral and Ground are bonded in your main panel. Put some green tape on the wire at each end and call it a ground.
Non issue. Charge up and drive.

How do you know if his dryer plug is not fed from a sub-panel?

Hi -

Im not really sure if its dedicated - forgive me for my lack of knowledge with this.

I see the power panel with several switches (if something trips, I go here to switch it to power stuff back). Two of them have been labeled by the electrician to be for the Dryer. When I look at the NEMA 10-30 outlet near the dryer, it is by itself (there is no other outlet right next to it). I would assume this would mean it's dedicated.

I'm hoping the Clipper Creek rep was mistaken and I can use the converter without issue.

I'm not an expert, but there have been many discussions about using dryer plugs to run the EVSE to charge the car. As I understand it:

1) The EVSE will protect the user, no matter how crazy the wiring up to the dryer outlet is. It may not charge, but the user can't get electrocuted or shocked by the car.
2) The primary risk is that the plug that goes into the dryer outlet has no significant protection, so that if a users finger slips while plugging or unplugging from the dryer outlet there is a shock hazard.
3) A secondary risk is that the dryer outlet-plug combo is not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging, leading to wear, weakened contact springs, and possible overheating or fire.

boorobo said:
Hi -

Im not really sure if its dedicated - forgive me for my lack of knowledge with this.

I see the power panel with several switches (if something trips, I go here to switch it to power stuff back). Two of them have been labeled by the electrician to be for the Dryer. When I look at the NEMA 10-30 outlet near the dryer, it is by itself (there is no other outlet right next to it). I would assume this would mean it's dedicated.

I'm hoping the Clipper Creek rep was mistaken and I can use the converter without issue.

Are all your circuit breakers in one panel or you have 2 boxes with breakers, say one is in the garage and the dryer breaker is on that panel?

stjohnh said:
I'm not an expert, but there have been many discussions about using dryer plugs to run the EVSE to charge the car. As I understand it:

1) The EVSE will protect the user, no matter how crazy the wiring up to the dryer outlet is. It may not charge, but the user can't get electrocuted or shocked by the car.
2) The primary risk is that the plug that goes into the dryer outlet has no significant protection, so that if a users finger slips while plugging or unplugging from the dryer outlet there is a shock hazard.
3) A secondary risk is that the dryer outlet-plug combo is not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging, leading to wear, weakened contact springs, and possible overheating or fire.

Don't disagree with the above, but w/o proper outlet grounding you're not safe.

It's not the receptacle that matters, just the wiring of the circuit. If the outlet's on a dedicated branch circuit from your panel then the neutral wire is indistinguishable from a ground wire aside from the color of the insulation. You could just swap out the old outlet for an L6-30r and you'd be set.

But if that neutral is shared with other circuits (if it runs off a subpanel, for example), or there are other outlets on the circuit (unlikely), then it could be an issue.

FWIW, I've been charging off an old 10-30 dryer outlet for 3.5 years now with no problems. :)

All breakers are in one panel. When you open the power breaker door, you will see two columns. Each column has switches. The dryer one takes up the right column (top two switches).

So I guess I may have to ground then. smkettner mentioned I could "put some green tape on the wire at each end and call it a ground". Since if ok, I would be buying the portable charger and the converter cable, what is the "wire" I would need to put the green tape on? I'm not adept at this in any sense, so would it be better to call an electrician to put this tape on?

Thanks!

boorobo said:
All breakers are in one panel. When you open the power breaker door, you will see two columns. Each column has switches. The dryer one takes up the right column (top two switches).

So I guess I may have to ground then. smkettner mentioned I could "put some green tape on the wire at each end and call it a ground". Since if ok, I would be buying the portable charger and the converter cable, what is the "wire" I would need to put the green tape on? I'm not adept at this in any sense, so would it be better to call an electrician to put this tape on?

Thanks!

Make sure you don't have any other loads on the dryer breaker, it is unlikely but if you're not the original owner of the home anything is possible.

Also, I wanted to just unplug/plug in the dryer as needed (don't use it that often). I didn't know that doing this would cause problems. What is the risk and likelihood of risk this would pose - is it more that it would damage the electrical wiring, the appliance, or both?

boorobo said:
Also, I wanted to just unplug/plug in the dryer as needed (don't use it that often). I didn't know that doing this would cause problems. What is the risk and likelihood of risk this would pose - is it more that it would damage the electrical wiring, the appliance, or both?

The danger is the outlet can "loosen up" over time which will lead to poor contact to the plug blades that can cause overheating and possibly fire.

oh that doesn't sound very good.

Could I buy an adapter (like a 1 foot extension) for my NEMA 10-30, so that when I unplug, and plug back in, I would be unplugging and plugging from the adapter rather than the wall outlet? Not sure if this would make any difference at all?

I'm trying to do what I can to avoid having to have an electrician install. We probably won't be living here too long.

The extension will just move the potential failure point to the extension receptacle. How likely it is going to fail? Probably not very likely. I would probably feel more or less safe if I used a heavy-duty extension and checked for signs of overheating at all connection points often.

These outlets are heavy duty and can be cycled daily without issue. RV parks cycle the 14-50 for many years without issue and that is outdoor use.
Forget the tape, just plug in. Swap plugs as needed. In 10 years get a new $10 outlet connector.

Oh my gosh! It is a freak'in plug, built to be used as such.
boorobo, if the plug is tight when you plug it in, then just use it.

Back