Out of Warranty Club, share your horror stories here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdemar

The dreaded milestone reached, however I'm happy to report that the following 10 miles were pretty much uneventful :)

00627159-55ae-4045-b56a-e1f8d781dcb1.jpg

Congrats! I don't know if I will have my Leaf that long as a daily driver, but I have never had any reason to doubt the car making it to hundreds of thousands of miles, with a severely degraded pack of course.

My initial plan was to keep the car for 5 years, or longer if the battery holds, but it didn't, so 2 more years for me, just hoping there will be no major failures until I get rid of it.

How do you charge your leaf? and am I right that you got a new battery at 53k and now on get 57miles to a full charge? seems like there is something else wrong than the battery or you always drive uphill!

My leaf is only 2 weeks old so I'm new to the terminology so if I misunderstood I look forward to your reply.

Niels said:
How do you charge your leaf? and am I right that you got a new battery at 53k and now on get 57miles to a full charge? seems like there is something else wrong than the battery or you always drive uphill!

My leaf is only 2 weeks old so I'm new to the terminology so if I misunderstood I look forward to your reply.

There are only 10 capacity bars in the picture. He charged to 80% or 10 charge bars. Good trick, I had to count the bars. I might use it when I try to sell my 2011 Leaf :D .

There is no conspiracy here, original pack, missing 2 capacity bars, charged to 100% in the morning, used 2 fuel bars by the time I stopped to take the pic. I actually don't remember when I saw 10 bars after a 80% charge last time, now it is 9 all the time.

OK i get it and understand CB is not "car battery!" very "smart" how it tells you or hides the fact that the battery is loosing capacity by erasing the bars! I leased our leaf one because we will need to sell in 3 years and the Model 3 will be around the corner. So I can't put more than 36k on it at least not with out paying for it. should last that long without to much loss.

The said at the dealer that a new battery would be $5500, if the car otherwise is sound it might be worth it to someone to refresh. That of course equals the gas savings for us over 60k!

I keep wondering what the end of my car's life will be. I'm now one third of my way towards the end of my warranty. Then what? I'm hoping that it just goes and goes like all of the Japanese cars ive had in the past years. But ive been told its built modular, and theres no provisions for repair of components. You just replace them at huge cost. So after 5 years and the car is only worth 10 grand, what am I going to do if nissan wants 5 grand to fix it? Probably just part it out and get a new car. My resident pessimist is expecting that to be what happens. The price you pay for being a first adopter.

johnrhansen said:
I keep wondering what the end of my car's life will be. I'm now one third of my way towards the end of my warranty. Then what? I'm hoping that it just goes and goes like all of the Japanese cars ive had in the past years. But ive been told its built modular, and theres no provisions for repair of components. You just replace them at huge cost. So after 5 years and the car is only worth 10 grand, what am I going to do if nissan wants 5 grand to fix it? Probably just part it out and get a new car. My resident pessimist is expecting that to be what happens. The price you pay for being a first adopter.

Just like with regular cars, you should be able to source replacement parts from a junkyard at a fraction of a cost of new. Parts specific to early Leafs (are there any? OBC comes to mind) may be more difficult to find because not too many were sold.

I had an old celica once. The ac didnt work. I troubleshot it to the control module. Cold solder joints on the pcb where the electrical plug attached. Toyota wanted 750 dollars for it and it would take a month to get there. I just soldered it and drove off into the sunset. I could fix cars in the old days, but I really doubt these newer cars are that easy to fix. We will see what the future holds. I'm nervous that I will end up with a huge pile of psrts in my garage.

You still have the original battery warranty until 8 years/100,000 miles. If I don't get to four bars before five years, I have every intention to make claim(s) against the original warranty for cells that fail the CVLI test in the service manual. It will be interesting to see how Nissan responds to such claims.
Valdemar said:
Just like with regular cars, you should be able to source replacement parts from a junkyard at a fraction of a cost of new. Parts specific to early Leafs (are there any? OBC comes to mind) may be more difficult to find because not too many were sold.
Yes, there will be less stock, but such parts are MUCH easier to replace in the MY2011 than in the MY2013 and later. Also, it seems that many of the 2011s and 2012s will make it to the junkyard prematurely (unless people realize what a deal it is to replace the battery).

johnrhansen said:
I had an old celica once. The ac didnt work. I troubleshot it to the control module. Cold solder joints on the pcb where the electrical plug attached. Toyota wanted 750 dollars for it and it would take a month to get there. I just soldered it and drove off into the sunset. I could fix cars in the old days, but I really doubt these newer cars are that easy to fix. We will see what the future holds. I'm nervous that I will end up with a huge pile of psrts in my garage.
Bah. Every car is fixable to those that want to fix them. When the Prius was new everyone said that it would be impossible to work on and you would have to just spend thousands to keep it going after it was out of warranty. After the Leaf has been out for a little while longer some company will start selling battery cells or remanufactured batteries. The electronics will be dissected by someone and any flaws will be figured out.

RegGuheert said:
You still have the original battery warranty until 8 years/100,000 miles. If I don't get to four bars before five years, I have every intention to make claim(s) against the original warranty for cells that fail the CVLI test in the service manual. It will be interesting to see how Nissan responds to such claims.

Good luck with that, unless you get an error code to show your dealer they have every right not to move a finger. As for the manufacturing defects warranty for the pack, it gives me some additional peace of mind but realistically I don't expect I will actually be able to benefit from it. Also, there are other costly parts whose warranty coverage ceases at 60k, such as the traction motor, the on-board charger, and the inverter. And unlike a shrunk battery that you can limp with as long as you can, as the say on the radio in AAMCO commercials "if they fail you ain't going anywhere".

Valdemar said:
RegGuheert said:

Good luck with that, unless you get an error code to show your dealer they have every right not to move a finger. As for the manufacturing defects warranty for the pack, it gives me some additional peace of mind but realistically I don't expect I will actually be able to benefit from it. Also, there are other costly parts whose warranty coverage ceases at 60k, such as the traction motor, the on-board charger, and the inverter. And unlike a shrunk battery that you can limp with as long as you can, as the say on the radio in AAMCO commercials "if they fail you ain't going anywhere".

Pretty easy to attach a few active loads to various cells and a few power supplies to others and mismatch the pack enough to throw a code. I will be driving mine until I can't make it to the end of a driveway on a charge. Then I'll just get a longer extension cord!

johnrhansen said:

Unless you think you can get more for it by parting it out you can just sell it to someone that is currently driving a gasser/ICE vehicle that has over 100,000 miles on it.

I've got a late 90s Saturn SL2 I'd love to retire because it has a bad AC compressor and only gets 25-35 MPG. Even if I fix the AC it doesn't have a cabin air filter so its an allergy sufferers nightmare with the pollen we have in east TN (pollen here is moderate to heavy 9-12 months a year depending on if we get any real cold or not in the "winter").

Sell me a 4 bar loser leaf and I'd drive it as a second vehicle for short trips and use my Prius for longer trips. Reality is that my idea of a long trip is 16 miles one way.

There are a ton of cars out there like that old Saturn (think about all the old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths/Saturns/Hummers/Yukahoes/etcetera). There are way more junky gassers out there with low MPG, bad AC, or both than you could ever possibly replace with every single new and used Leaf.

I'm assuming the average 5 year old Leaf will be a luxury car in terms of features vs the cars it could replace. Even if somebody has to sink $4000 into it someday to replace the battery pack it will be so much more reliable than a traditional car with a questionable transmission, engine that burns/leaks oil, needs spark plugs, filters, antifreeze, etcetera that a EV never has to worry about.

dhanson865 said:
johnrhansen said:

Unless you think you can get more for it by parting it out you can just sell it to someone that is currently driving a gasser/ICE vehicle that has over 100,000 miles on it.

I've got a late 90s Saturn SL2 I'd love to retire because it has a bad AC compressor and only gets 25-35 MPG. Even if I fix the AC it doesn't have a cabin air filter so its an allergy sufferers nightmare with the pollen we have in east TN (pollen here is moderate to heavy 9-12 months a year depending on if we get any real cold or not in the "winter").

Sell me a 4 bar loser leaf and I'd drive it as a second vehicle for short trips and use my Prius for longer trips. Reality is that my idea of a long trip is 16 miles one way.

There are a ton of cars out there like that old Saturn (think about all the old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths/Saturns/Hummers/Yukahoes/etcetera). There are way more junky gassers out there with low MPG, bad AC, or both than you could ever possibly replace with every single new and used Leaf.

I'm assuming the average 5 year old Leaf will be a luxury car in terms of features vs the cars it could replace. Even if somebody has to sink $4000 into it someday to replace the battery pack it will be so much more reliable than a traditional car with a questionable transmission, engine that burns/leaks oil, needs spark plugs, filters, antifreeze, etcetera that a EV never has to worry about.

but if you turn it on and all you get is an ev light because some expensive component is shot, nobody is going to want it.

johnrhansen said:
but if you turn it on and all you get is an ev light because some expensive component is shot, nobody is going to want it.

The key is aftermarket parts. I have no confidence in Nissan's ability to provide OEM parts for the LEAF. If we can get manufacturers that will refurbish or make OEM-compatible parts like the ICE market has, it shouldn't be a problem. We just need more sales to drive up demand.

"The said at the dealer that a new battery would be $5500, if the car otherwise is sound it might be worth it to someone to refresh. That of course equals the gas savings for us over 60k!"

Where do you live what kind of MPG do you get and how much is gas where you live?

Where I Live 60,000 miles worth of gas is $10k (national average 20mpg) unless your getting 40mpg ($5200) but then you have to add all the other "costs" of owning an ICE as well so its way more than just the cost of gas.

Just curious where you got the number.

comparing to my minivan my leaf will save me $8700 a year in fuel (I do delivery as much as I love my metro its too much a pain to get in and out of 50 times a day)

but I drive a CRAP ton of miles. 40k a year minimum. I am just hoping I can retain a 60mile range in the leaf for 3 years. (around 85 now) I have budgeted in 2 batteries once every 3 years.

Back