charging adapters...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finman100

Okay, so I'm still learning the lingo with the myriad of adapters for the plethora of outlets out there in the wild.

will this work at a campground outlet with my EVSE upgrade? I have a 120V 5-15 adapter cord (as well as a 14-50 adapter cord):

http://www.evseadapters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to utilize the highest rate possible, but am unsure if the EVSE upgrade will work at 120V and 30 amps (i think that is the tt-30 spec?) I realize it says it's for the EVSE upgrade...but will this be a 12 amp charge? Does there exist an adapter such that I can get 20 amps from TT-30 to EVSE upgrade (the L6-30 twistlock)?

Thanks so much for all who can enlighten me!

Curt

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the following.

nema 6-15, 6-50, 10-30, 10-50, 14-50, 5-15. These all adapt to the nema l6-30 plug on the evse upgrade unit. My particular one can only be programmed to 20 amps for 240 volts and 16 amps for 120. Normally it can be only progrmmed to 12 amps at 120, but I built a 5-20 to l6-30 adapter and evse upgrade gave me a code to program 16. Ive heard things about the unit can get another code to be able to program even higher currents at 240, but I never pursued it further. I got an older unit in exchange for the newer one I got with my 2013 when I sent it in for upgrading.. I know this because it forgets my programming whenever I unplug it. It's my understanding that these older units can't go over 20 anyway.

I knew about the programming for higher amps (and have tried to program things myself using the instructions and a bent paper clip tool)...didn't know about contacting EVSE for 'secret' programming. Anyway, I would like to use these TT-30 outlets at one destination at the coast. Just not sure if the EVSE upgrade will default to 12 amp charging since TT-30 is 120V, even though current can be 30 amps. do I have that right? Moot point if there is not an adapter to go from the TT-30 outlet to the L6-30 plug on my EVSE upgrade unit. Also moot if there is an adapter, but the unit still charges at 12 amps. Might as well use the standard 120V outlet at this site and my 5-15 adapter.

finman100 said:
I knew about the programming for higher amps (and have tried to program things myself using the instructions and a bent paper clip tool)...didn't know about contacting EVSE for 'secret' programming. Anyway, I would like to use these TT-30 outlets at one destination at the coast. Just not sure if the EVSE upgrade will default to 12 amp charging since TT-30 is 120V, even though current can be 30 amps. do I have that right? Moot point if there is not an adapter to go from the TT-30 outlet to the L6-30 plug on my EVSE upgrade unit. Also moot if there is an adapter, but the unit still charges at 12 amps. Might as well use the standard 120V outlet at this site and my 5-15 adapter.

No point really to adapt to the tt-30. Charging at 120 volts is so slow hardly makes it worth it. Besides, unless you have a 20 amp or 15 amp fuse in there it's unsafe to do so (because the tt30 is protected by a 30 amp breaker). Most rv parks have 120 volt outlets anyway if they have a tt-30.

One thing I built that was useful was a combiner box that combined 2 (120v) tt-30s into one 240v) l6-30. you have to use opposite sides, and have relays in there so if a plug comes unplugged the exposed pins dont remain hot and kill someone. You have 2 relays, and hook the coil of each to it's respective hot and neutral so if it loses the neutral the relay kicks off.

So TT-30 120V and 5-15 120V will result in similar charging rates as far as the EVSE upgrade is concerned? When connected to a 5-15 standard outlet, the EVSE upgrade charges at 12 amps.

When connected to my home 240V/30A outlet, it charges at 20 amps.

So with the TT-30 producing 30 amps, would the EVSE upgrade actually know that and charge at 20 amps?
Or does it know that when connected to 120V to only charge at 12 amps, even if more amps are there?

Thanks,

Curt

all the evse sees is voltage It has no way of knowing what adapter you have plugged in. The one I have can be programmed up to 16 amps for 120 volts. (using the shorting cord and pushing the latch release button as many times as the amps you want). If you try to put it more, it wont accept it and will only blink 16 at you. So if you plug this into a tt30 it will still only draw 16 amps. But if you plug it into a 5-15, it will try to draw 16 and blow the breaker. Then you need to program it down to 12. There are 2 saved settings, one of 120, and another for 240. Mine can be programmed as high as 16 amps for 120, and 20 for 240.

Back