Maximum Charge Time Using Leaf EVSE Upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eire32

Hi

So I am installing my dedicated EV 240v line to my garage on Monday. I will be using a #2 Aluminum line.
What is the best way/materials to use in order to make the charge time as fast as possible?

My EVSE will be the standard leaf supplied EVSE upgraded by EVSE upgrade.

Is there anything I should do or tell the technician in order to make this recharge time as quick as possible? Now would be the time to make these changes.

Eventhough the leaf may only require a 40amp relay or pull I am going to make the line at least 100 amp capable for future proofing in case we buy another EV car or Tesla or something requiring more power so I dont need to start all over again.

I am new to the leaf/EV's and this forum.

I will be taking and posting pics for others to follow in future!!

Having a 100A supply to your car shack certainly anticipates recharging your own personal shuttlecraft, I'd expect that there should be a much smaller-capacity breaker in series with the outlet you intend to plug your upgraded EVSE into, sized so that the wires in the EVSE can support a current big enough to trip it.

#2 is probably going to give you some trouble with the devices being used as it will probably be too large to fit. Your electrician will have to make a pigtail to a smaller gauge to get it to work. Just make sure it is done properly and gets inspected.

From what I have read, the EVSEUpgrade pulls 20amps max so there really isn't anything more you can do to speed it up besides using properly sized cable.

Eire32 said:
Hi

So I am installing my dedicated EV 240v line to my garage on Monday. I will be using a #2 Aluminum line.
What is the best way/materials to use in order to make the charge time as fast as possible?

My EVSE will be the standard leaf supplied EVSE upgraded by EVSE upgrade.

Is there anything I should do or tell the technician in order to make this recharge time as quick as possible? Now would be the time to make these changes.

Even though the leaf may only require a 40amp relay or pull I am going to make the line at least 100 amp capable for future proofing in case we buy another EV car or Tesla or something requiring more power so I dont need to start all over again.

I am new to the leaf/EV's and this forum.

I will be taking and posting pics for others to follow in future!!
First, make sure the "technician" knows how to properly install aluminum wiring. Lots of things that need to be done correctly, and lots of things that can have small minor errors and create huge catastrophic fire hazard risk.

Most people would be using an "electrician".
Your "technician" might be the same.
The surgeon that does my colonoscopy is nominally a "technician", but I don't usually refer to that qualified credentialed professional as a "technician".

Be sure your "technician" is properly qualified and credentialed.
Many places require the properly done and approved permits.
Do it right!

If you are going with evseupgrade.com they typically require Nema 6-30 twist lock outlet and do 20 amp cspability.
But with the right outlet/adapter and approval codes from them it might be qualified to do 25 app charging.
Check with them.
See discussion starting at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17724&start=10#p384812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The installer is a fully qualified licensed electrician!

Since EV's are relatively new to these times, not all electricians have a ton of experience in EVSE's hence why I thought I'd get some feedback. Better to ask than regret.

If you pull copper instead of cheaper aluminum, you can use slightly smaller wire (#3 or #4 perhaps).

If you do use 100 amp rated wires, and subsequently install a 30 amp charge station (EVSE), then you will need a 40 amp breaker.

When your TESLA arrives, just pop out the 40 amp, pop in a 100 amp breaker, and mount the Tesla HPC wall charge station for 80 amp charging (about 60 miles per hour charging in your garage).

TonyWilliams said:
If you pull copper instead of cheaper aluminum, you can use slightly smaller wire (#3 or #4 perhaps).

If you do use 100 amp rated wires, and subsequently install a 30 amp charge station (EVSE), then you will need a 40 amp breaker.

When your TESLA arrives, just pop out the 40 amp, pop in a 100 amp breaker, and mount the Tesla HPC wall charge station for 80 amp charging (about 60 miles per hour charging in your garage).

Sounds like a plan thanks!

Is there a difference if I just install the 100 amp breaker now so nothing new needs to be done in future?

Also, is there a problem using aluminum? Some people suggest its a fire hazard???

J1772 charging has two parts. The EVSE tells the car what is available and the car charger takes what it needs up the max. You could have an EVSE that is rated to the max of 80A but if you have an enhanced Leaf it will only take 27.5A. Tony's RAV4 EV would take 40A but the rest is just potential. No current car charger except a dual Tesla S will take more than 40A. Only Tesla based EV's will charge at 40A. All others are less. A Fit charges at 30A, A volt at 16A, A leaf at 16A or 27.5A.

Aluminum is fine if using large wire. Mainly only an issue with smaller gauge. For 50A+ circuits they're nothing to worry about and significantly cheaper than copper.

drees said:
Aluminum is fine if using large wire. Mainly only an issue with smaller gauge. For 50A+ circuits they're nothing to worry about and significantly cheaper than copper.

I believe that there are areas that won't issue a permit for aluminum wire in a household. Check your local rules.

Eire32 said:
TonyWilliams said:

Sounds like a plan thanks!

Is there a difference if I just install the 100 amp breaker now so nothing new needs to be done in future?

Also, is there a problem using aluminum? Some people suggest its a fire hazard???

By the NEC rules, you need a 40 amp breaker on that 30/32 amp load. The breakers are generally very cheap, and very easy to swap out (like 5 minutes max).

The wires are the difficult thing to change, and you won't have to change them if you install wires rated for 100 amp circuit.

Back