Maryland Excise Tax Credit -- what'd you get?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Websterize

Hi, any new Leaf owners gotten a excise tax credit from MVA?

I received a check last week. The amount, a little over $2,000, was for the excise tax (6%) paid on the sales price of the car. But the way the application is written, it seems that the amount of the rebate should have been $3,000. The form (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resources/docs/VR-334.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) says:
The credit allowed is calculated as follows:
• The product of $125 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle not to exceed $3,000. Vehicles with 25 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000.
The battery capacity of the Leaf is 24 kWh x $125. That's $3,000!

Not to look a gift horse, and I'm grateful to live in such an incentive-heavy state, but this is confusing. Why make me include the battery capacity if it's not part of the calculation? I left a message with the Registration Refund Unit at MVA, which issued the check.

The law (House Bill 1345) that extended and increased the excise tax credit took effect July 1 this year, so they might not have processed many of these requests. I think the relevant section of the law is on page 7, line 13 and lines 22-24 of http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/hb/hb1345e.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My assumption is that if it is indeed a rebate on the "6%" credit then that is what capped your rebate.

$2000 is 6% of $33.3K - what did you pay for that Leaf?

To get a full $3K credit you may have had to spend about $45K.... Those Tesla drivers are so lucky :)

After radio silence from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Association (MVA), I asked @mdvolt for advice. The person at that Twitter handle put me in touch with a Maryland Energy Administration source, who reached out to contacts at MVA. Today, the very helpful source said that "MVA will issue refunds to those [who] weren’t given the proper amount." This sounds promising.

If I get the full $3K rebate amount, I'll post an update.

On Friday I received a letter from Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration about the calculation error and that a refund is on the way.

If you purchased or leased a new Leaf on or after July 1, 2014, and your excise-tax refund was less than $3,000, PM me for a helpful contact at MVA.

Websterize said:
On Friday I received a letter from Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration about the calculation error and that a refund is on the way.

If you purchased or leased a new Leaf on or after July 1, 2014, and your excise-tax refund was less than $3,000, PM me for a helpful contact at MVA.

I'm a grad student at UMD and I don't owe even $1000 to the state tax treasury or IRS. If I lease the vehicle, will I get $3000 as well or none because of tax situation?

Thanks

You'll receive a $3,000 excise tax refund check, regardless of tax liability. You should get the check a month or two after completing the application.

Back