Just turned over 20,000 miles today in my 2013 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

Just turned over 20,000 gasoline free, emission free miles in my leaf. I estimate I used up 4500 KWH of electricity though, which is enough to light up a 23 Watt CFL (I use green references not those old incandescent bulbs) for 23.4 years. However, the good news is that had I kept my truck instead and drove those miles in it, I would have burned 869 gallons of gas, which would have emitted 17,302 pounds of CO2 into the air. Yaay Me!!

Yeah, I do have them all. In fact my range is barely degraded. I don't have leaf spy. I bought the bluetooth thing but never put the program into my tablet so I can't tell you much about gids. But a couple months ago I pulled a 110 miler! I estimate I'm down maybe 5 percent max. This might have changed after my 11 temp bar level 3 charging trip in the 100 degree heat.

well cfls are green provided they are recycled. So I guess I should have said that. But a led would have been more dramatic. What would it last? A century?

johnrhansen said:
I estimate I'm down maybe 5 percent max
20k miles, you're almost certainly down more than 5 percent.
I've got 3k miles, and it's at 7%. The first 10% usually goes fairly fast, then it slows down.

yeah, my car is getting old... you know how old people get white hair as they age. well my car gets white scrapes on the quarter panels. out in the parking lot today I saw the first one. Arrgh!

LeftieBiker said:
Also, CFLs were never really "green" because of the mercury in them. I suggest a comparison involving LEDs.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny how times have changed, it wasn't just a few decades ago mercury was everywhere. I remember looking at the stuff in old thermostats, or relays. Broken thermometers. Old mercury vapor rectifiers and acoustic memory pools for those old computers. Compared to today, people were swimming in it!

johnrhansen said:
60.84. Soh 93 percent. Full charge to 264 gids.
Your battery looks like it is in much better condition than mine. My readings are lower and I only have a few more miles than you. See signature for the details.

What was your battery temps when you did the last reading ?

LeftieBiker said:
Do you still have all 12 capacity bars? Also, CFLs were never really "green" because of the mercury in them. I suggest a comparison involving LEDs.

considering the discounts and specials for LEDs around here, I would have to agree. as far as losing a bar @ 20,000? no way. maybe more like 50,000. I only have 12,000 miles and so extrapolating a loss at this point is dicey at best but its looking to be around 55,000-58,000. This would be a slight improvement over my 2011 which was projected to be roughly 48,000-52,000

johnrhansen said:
60.84. Soh 93 percent. Full charge to 264 gids.

how does that compare to new and do you think your readings have been lower due to the weather or has it been a steady decline?

mine started at 67.36 and now bounces from the mid 65's to the mid 63's @ 12,000 miles

KJD said:
Your battery looks like it is in much better condition than mine. My readings are lower and I only have a few more miles than you. See signature for the details.

What was your battery temps when you did the last reading ?
His car is a lot newer than yours and has the 2013 battery chemistry and LBC changes. But the evidence that time and heat matter a lot more than miles has been with us for some time.

I also have 20,000 miles, my car is the same age as yours, and my battery is in nearly identical shape (I was at 57.28 Ah yesterday). The cloudy, cool summer this year has helped slow my degradation — it stopped entirely over the winter — but a couple of trips down into the heat got my battery warmed up over 30ºC and each time the capacity notched down. It is fascinating, if a bit disappointing, to watch.

This was the first time I ever checked mine. My battery temp was about 80 degrees at the time. Not much more I can do about its degradation so I prefer not to watch! But how long till I lose my first bar? Maybe in the summer of 2016?

johnrhansen said:
... But how long till I lose my first bar? Maybe in the summer of 2016?
That's a good question but the answer is unknown. There is something different about the 2013 (and later) battery that makes measuring its capacity and other characteristics give odd results. Empirical range testing results suggest that the capacity is at least as much, or more, than 2011/2012 batteries, but Gid readings and Amp•hour measurements give odd results on 2013/2014 batteries, from what I've read. It remains to be seen if the capacity will drop in the same fashion as the older battery type.

You and the other 2013 owners get to be guinea pigs for accumulating the necessary data... :)

Back