Just Currious

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had wash both of our cars. The automated washes only do a half-ass job on the exterior. They do nothing for the tires and wheels, so I have to do that myself anyway. Plus I still have to vacuum and armor-all everything myself. So I might as well just do it all so it is done right. Also I have at times had previous cars damaged by automated washes. In fact, I had one basically rip the front license plate off of my Leaf when I got lazy and went through one a year ago. I spent the next hour hammering the plate back into shape and screwing it back onto the Leaf. I have no idea how that happened.

Not allowed to wash cars at home due to water restrictions. I go to the car wash and clean it once a week.

I haven't washed my car in many months; since I live on a dirt road it would just get dirty again the next time I drive it, so what's the point? I do wash it in winter when I get mud on it from mag chloride treated roads because that stuff is corrosive.

When I do wash it I usually use one of those self service carwash stations, although I have washed it at home on occasion (but water is very expensive in my neighborhood).

I also try to leave the car outside during rainstorms for a free "carwash from the sky". That's the easiest way to wash the car but this year's monsoon season has been a disappointment thus far, so not much help from the sky in recent weeks. I'm hoping August will be wetter.

Not very often; maybe once every 2-3 months when the rear end gets too gross. It's really filthy at the moment from having been in SoCal. Seems to be a common affliction down there; a combination of nightly dew and filthy air. Usually it's only the rear of the car that gets dirty but right now it's got crud from stem to stern. Will be washing it this weekend.

Washing the car probably takes less water than taking a shower. But, I will park it on the front "lawn" just to keep the runoff from going to waste. We don't water the front much; maybe twice a year. Several years ago I planted the front with Gazania Splendens and they can pretty much go the entire 6-month dry season here without any water but a little bit now and then keeps them healthier. They put on a great show of flowers in the spring, and they're mowable.

Jeez.. I never thought that one of the luxsuries I have calling the Carolina's home, is the ability to keep our cars clean inside / out . I hand wash. I agree that it is by far the safest for the car and gives the best results.

I use a hand car wash. It is simply not worth my time to spend it washing my cars, and they do a very good job for a very reasonable fee. And since they are on the Costco lot, it is very convenient when I am shopping there.

TomT said:
I use a hand car wash. It is simply not worth my time to spend it washing my cars, and they do a very good job for a very reasonable fee. And since they are on the Costco lot, it is very convenient when I am shopping there.

Now I'm confused. I took "hand car wash" to mean "by hand". :?:

Yep, but not my hands... Most of the commercial car washes around here these days are hand washes...

Nubo said:
TomT said:
Now I'm confused. I took "hand car wash" to mean "by hand". :?:

I run mine through a "laser" touchless car wash every few months, do occasion 'spot hand washes' to dirty areas, and rely on the torrential rains that are now a part of Upstate NY's climate to do the rest. That reminds me: I do need to vacuum her again...

I hand wash mine because I have a wrap on it, and hand washing is recommended.

For those quoting water restrictions, most commercial places used non-potable water for washing, which is exempt from water conservation. JSYK

You guys go on and keep washing weekly.

Personally, I prefer to keep a protective coat of dirt on all of my vehicles.

w6vms said:

It works for me as well. Washed my LEAF about 3 times in three years, I find the first few layers patina and it really repels further grime.

My LEAF has only been through an automated car wash once, when it was at the dealer. They didn't ask me first. Now I always tell them not to run it through. I have always washed it by hand and am rather particular about the cleanliness of my cars. It looks all but brand new with 42k miles on it.

w6vms said:

I dunno. The problem is that it is hard to get a good even coverage of dirt for proper protection:

14266451210_e47c317735_z.jpg

dgpcolorado said:
w6vms said:

I dunno. The problem is that it is hard to get a good even coverage of dirt for proper protection:

14266451210_e47c317735_z.jpg

Consider that the dirt accumulation is on the lower half of the car, where the protection is needed most.

w6vms said:
Consider that the dirt accumulation is on the lower half of the car, where the protection is needed most.

It seems the car is remarkably adaptive. Lower-half protection for muddy roads... and in my case highway driving tends to coat the hatchback with schmutz, no doubt an attempt to slowly evolve into a properly aerodynamic teardrop shape. :lol:

Back