Lock door while FOB in car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goixiz

My objective : Lock the doors with the FOB is in the car. And able to unlock door with physical key.

Reason: I travel to long bike rides with the LEAF and i prefer not to carry the $300 FOB with me and its also clunky and easy to get wet.

Idea: Is there a bag or container that prevents the signal from the FOB to get to the receiver. So i can place the FOB in the shielded enclosure and hide it in the car when im out riding my bike. When i return i can open the doors with a physical key
and retrieve the FOB to get home.

thanks in advance

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rf%20shielding%20bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need a RF Shield Bag

(If you EzPass it that type of bag the pass arrived in when you got it in the mail the 1st time.)

flyonpa said:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rf%20shielding%20bag

You need a RF Shield Bag

(If you EzPass it that type of bag the pass arrived in when you got it in the mail the 1st time.)

Wow for $$$$ i may find a DIY option (i wish i kept my EZpass bag)

cwerdna said:
You could take the battery out of the key.

thats not efficient to remove battery everyday so i can go for a ride.

I just made a bag and it worked very well ill take a picture and post then im heading to the hardware store to make a couple of keys

Here is my 3 min RF shield bag for my FOB
Items used for DIY
1. Cutter
2. Aluminum tape (had a roll lying around left behind by AC repair man)

- Fold it to the shape you want
- cut second strip and remove the adhesive to tape the edges
- cut final flap and remove half of the adhesive area and use as a flap

NOTE:
The edges has to be airtight and closing the flap use a double fold to make sure its air tight - small opening will allow reduce the efficiency of the shielding

It worked like i wanted it - Thanks for looking and contributing to the idea.

IMG_20140628_180106.jpg

cwerdna said:
goixiz said:
cwerdna said:
You could take the battery out of the key.
thats not efficient to remove battery everyday so i can go for a ride.
You could've just left the battery out of one key while leaving the battery in the other.

Anyhow, sounds like that's moot now.

Yup thats an option

But wont prevent me from losing the fob

I know this has been resolved, but can't you just hold the driver's side exterior door handle out while pushing the auto lock button? Close the door then unlock it with the physical key? I've always been able to do that with power locks in general. Don't think the smart key being IN the car will allow the doors to be unlocked from the outside with just the touch button.

long as the car recieves the signal you can unlock it with the button, hence the need for the car to think the fob is no where near it to actualy securaly lock it.

The issue though is locks only keep honest people out, imagin the absalute glee a theif would have discovering the bag with the RF kew in it, be the best joy ride they'd ever have.

I've played around with it a bit, but from what I can tell, the Leaf has multiple transponders for FOB detection.

If I'm holding the FOB at the driver-side door, I can push the button to unlock the doors. No surprise there. However, in the same position, the button on the passenger side does not work. If I stand at the rear doors, I can use the side button, and the hatch button.

From this, I'm sure there are transponders in the handles to detect the key, in addition to the transponder(s) in the car to detect presence.

2014 Leaf SL

As we stood with my colleague waiting for AAA lock-out service on his Fiat 500e yesterday, I was admittedly quite smug as I demonstrated (other than disabling/shielding the smart fob in some way) how it was absolutely impossible to lock oneself out of the LEAF with the fob in the car. :D

goixiz said:
My objective : Lock the doors with the FOB is in the car. And able to unlock door with physical key.

Reason: I travel to long bike rides with the LEAF and i prefer not to carry the $300 FOB with me and its also clunky and easy to get wet.

Idea: Is there a bag or container that prevents the signal from the FOB to get to the receiver. So i can place the FOB in the shielded enclosure and hide it in the car when im out riding my bike. When i return i can open the doors with a physical key
and retrieve the FOB to get home.

thanks in advance

Altoids... or put FOB in backseat. accidentally found an area with extra key in purse on floor of backseat that allowed doors to lock. but then again; could have simply been weak battery

what is annoying is you can not LOCK the car while it is on (heat running etc..) without the fob.

ie if I leave someone IN the car and I go inside the store THEY can not lock the car from outside. it immediately "unlocks" the doors again as soon as you try to lock them.

if I lock with the fob it stays locks but it won't lock with the "lock" button inside the car. Annoying.

The wife managed to lock herself out of the Volt today. Apparently, pushing the pop-up stalk on the interior of the door down will trump all, even with the fob in the car.

It is impossible to lock yourself out in any other way EXCEPT that one - with the fob in the car the exterior lock buttons are completely inoperable, and if you push the door lock button in the center console and close the drivers door it will unlock itself. But push that pop-up down then push the driver's door shut and you are completely and utterly screwed!

Why do cars even still have those stalks anyhow? Want to know if the door is locked or not, pull on the damn exterior handle. If it's locked nothing with happen, if it's unlocked the door will open. :?

mwalsh said:
The wife managed to lock herself out of the Volt today. Apparently, pushing the pop-up stalk on the interior of the door down will trump all, even with the fob in the car.

It is impossible to lock yourself out in any other way EXCEPT that one - with the fob in the car the exterior lock buttons are completely inoperable, and if you push the door lock button in the center console and close the drivers door it will unlock itself. But push that pop-up down then push the driver's door shut and you are completely and utterly screwed!

Why do cars even still have those stalks anyhow? Want to know if the door is locked or not, pull on the damn exterior handle. If it's locked nothing with happen, if it's unlocked the door will open. :?

wow... that COMPLETELY removes all the advantages of technology. This is one big reason why I loved the Prius and the LEAF cause my SO has locked her keys in her car on average of about 1-2 times a year and has been doing it for DECADES!

jpadc said:
mwalsh said:
Why do cars even still have those stalks anyhow?
Well, I'm sure if there was an electrical failure (e.g., in an accident) you would be glad there was a manual way to unlock the door to escape a fire or flood.

Those stalks would be useless for that! Not only are they smooth, unlike older cars with the same type (no knob as a theft deterrent) they also retract almost completely into the door.

Back