Denver International Airport (DIA) EV Charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2k1Toaster

I have read that DIA has installed 11 L1 chargers, split between the East and West parking garages. Which is cool, and all I would need, but does anyone know if DIA has outlets just hanging around the normal garage areas?

I always drive the Prius up to the airport and park in the garage anyways. I live 75miles from DIA (in Colorado Springs) so it would be a low speed 100% charge drive on the Leaf if it could make it, but then I would be stuck there without a charge. I am usually gone for at least the weekend so L1 charge time I don't care about. I always keep my L1 EVSE with me and use it exclusively. No L2 for me.

I think I could take CO-83 up to E-470 into the airport at slower speeds without being shot for holding up traffic. I am thinking my normal 85-100mph driving up I-25 would end in a dead Leaf somewhere around Castle Rock. It would be awesome if there was an L3 there! Oh well.

My question is does anyone know if there are normal outlets sprinkled throughout DIA garages already? It seems like there is because I saw this quote on one of the articles about EV charging at DIA (http://www.cleanenergyauthority.com/solar-energy-news/dia-to-add-10-level-1-ev-chargers-082313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

The airport is offering the charging stations in response to an increase in spotting more EVs there. “We have seen an increase in the number of customers who drive electric vehicles to the airport and plug them into existing electrical outlets in the garages,”

From DIA's website:

Level 1 Electric Charging Stations

DIA has a total of 11 Level 1 electric vehicle charging stations available close-in on Level 1 of the parking garages, rows E and F. These spaces have designated Electric Charging Station signs and are available on a first come, first serve basis. Standard parking rates apply.

Six in the East Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
Five in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)

And for hybrids as well:

Parking Spaces Reserved for Hybrid Vehicles

DIA has designated a total of 18 parking spaces in our garages and economy lots and 32 spaces in the Pikes Peak Shuttle Lot for hybrid vehicles. The hybrid parking spaces are in the following locations:

Thirty-two spaces in the Pikes Peak Shuttle Lot:
Four each at shelters D1 and D4
Four each at shelters J1 and J4
Four each at shelters O1 and O4
Four each at shelters S1 and S4
Six in the East Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
Six in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
Three in East Economy (Section 2, Row D)
Three in West Economy (Section 1, Row D)

Hybrid vehicle parking spaces are close-in, near handicap parking in the garages, and are close to shuttle pick-up and drop-off shelters in the economy lots. Parking spaces are designated with signs that read, "Reserved Parking, Hybrid Vehicle Parking Only." These spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis. Standard parking rates apply.

Those level 1s do exist and during the week they are almost always fully occupied. You should check the comments on those sites (one for East garage, one West) at plugshare.com to see just how unusual it is to find them open. The last time I used them - arriving at 5 am on a Monday! - all were taken on the east side and all but 2 taken on the west side. Sadly, most of the occupants were Volts, which is kind of a waste. Yes, there are a few 110V outlets elsewhere in the garage, but you really have to look for them, and during busy periods when the garage is full or nearly full you may not be able to get near any of them.

Your better bet is Canopy Parking on Tower road about a mile west of E470 on Pena blvd. Get the Canopy parking coupon from the E470 web site (expresstoll.com) and the valet parking cost is well below the garage cost at DIA. With valet they'll guarantee your car a charge. They have a slew of level 2 and 3 chargers - when I dropped my LEAF off there yesterday they had 2 LEAFs and 3 Teslas charging and many other EVs in the nearby parking spots. My only complaint is now that they have level 3 they use it almost exclusively for LEAFs as the Teslas won't work with ChaDemo, and of course the charging stops at 80%. I call them on the day of my return and have them plug the LEAF into a level 2 charger to top it up. Driving to Canopy also saves you about 4-5 miles on the trip.

Route 83 will save you some battery - although you still have to climb over Palmer Divide, hitting 7400 ft at the summit just south of Hodgen Road, the climbs aren't as steep as I-25 and you don't have the extra ascent at Castle Pines. In an emergency you can top up at one of the two Walgreens on E470 just north of the Parker Road exit.

When I return it's almost always I night - I use I-225 and I-25 and top up at the QC at Arapahoe Nissan. Of course, I only have to get as far as Monument. ;)

I was just there today picking up my parents. I have to agree most of the spots are semi wasted on Volts. I only saw one Tesla and no other Leafs. Did see one cmax. They really need to expand the location and number of chargers. I suppose I was at least able to park close in one of the hybrid spots. Depending on the year of your vehicle it won't stop at 80% on the quick chargers. At least not if they are like the ones at Nissan dealers. I charged past 80% just today on the one at Tynans on Havana. It is just a matter of having the car set to charge to 100% not just 80%.

MikeinDenver said:
Depending on the year of your vehicle it won't stop at 80% on the quick chargers. At least not if they are like the ones at Nissan dealers. I charged past 80% just today on the one at Tynans on Havana. It is just a matter of having the car set to charge to 100% not just 80%.

Turned out it was a problem with the charger at Canopy - they reset and it charged to 100%.

MikeinDenver said:
I was just there today picking up my parents. I have to agree most of the spots are semi wasted on Volts. I only saw one Tesla and no other Leafs. Did see one cmax. They really need to expand the location and number of chargers.

It's the same story if you try to park at the Denver performing arts center downtown. Nothing but Volts in the EV charging spots. Extremely frustrating to those EV drivers that really need a charge. Public places need to offer valet services (ala Canopy Parking at DIA) so that these spots are managed properly.

Well I chickened out because of range anxiety and drove the Prius. I parked in the hybrid section which currently has 4 other Prii and a Ford Escape hybrid. There were 2 EV spots available and all 4 cars in the spots were Volts. It would even be helpful if they had those smart sensors on those stalls so you could tell from afar if there was an opening.

ampitupco said:
MikeinDenver said:
I was just there today picking up my parents. I have to agree most of the spots are semi wasted on Volts. I only saw one Tesla and no other Leafs. Did see one cmax. They really need to expand the location and number of chargers.

It's the same story if you try to park at the Denver performing arts center downtown. Nothing but Volts in the EV charging spots. Extremely frustrating to those EV drivers that really need a charge. Public places need to offer valet services (ala Canopy Parking at DIA) so that these spots are managed properly.

I agree regarding the Denver Performing Arts Center. It's usually a Volt, Energi, or a P85+ Model S that overstays the 4 hour limit. It's a shame that the QC there is out of order too... makes charging my LEAF harder when I have to drive it in to work.

What annoys me is that as of Aug 2018 there are no fast chargers at DIA. Must be something up with licensing or the like. There are a few on route, actually only one at the Walmart supercenter but why not put them at the airport as we all when we go to pick guests.

(Also the price of EVgo is about the same price as gas for infrequent users by my calculations anyway - my 2012 leaf vs $3 gas with 25mpg car. )

The commuter train is wonderful. Do any of the stations cater to EVs ?

I looked at plugshare, it gives quite a few choices although unfortunately I don't see ways to check availability or reserve a spot.
One private parking lot near the airport has FORTY Tesla destination chargers. WOW

I agree a few chargers at the 'cell phone parking lot' would be nice. I always seem to spend more time than planned there waiting for passengers when I pick them. Personally I always take the bus since it is nearly as fast as driving to/from Boulder now that the route has changed to take E470. It costs $9 each way but parking is $2/day in the parking garage in Boulder so that savings vs parking at DIA easily makes up the difference.

goldbrick said:
Personally I always take the bus since it is nearly as fast as driving to/from Boulder now that the route has changed to take E470. It costs $9 each way but parking is $2/day in the parking garage in Boulder so that savings vs parking at DIA easily makes up the difference.
Smart. I love good public transport.

SageBrush said:
goldbrick said:
Personally I always take the bus since it is nearly as fast as driving to/from Boulder now that the route has changed to take E470. It costs $9 each way but parking is $2/day in the parking garage in Boulder so that savings vs parking at DIA easily makes up the difference.
Smart. I love good public transport.

The L1's are fine for when you're traveling and that's why they are there. There is a CHAdeMO charger at the Canopy parking at DIA which I have used before. But it is easier to just take the Prius and park in the garage for a trip. There are so many BEVs now that the spots are almost always taken. Usually by a Volt which is stupid. Then the Tesla's and BEVs have to park around it.

This weekend we're going to try something different and take a Faraday Fleet vehicle from COS to DIA. Ride will be a Model X. If that works out, might be nice. $250+gratuity one way but makes life easy and green.

Back