Large bolt inside 120V charging cable bag?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
truav8r said:
What is it? Threaded on one end, ring on the other end. What do I need it for??

tow hook thingy. you actually dont use it to tow with. its like a tie down hook. it attaches to front bumper hole

truav8r said:
Cool thanks. Basically good for winching onto a flatbed and not much else I'm guessing?
Yes, you should never have the car towed or winched without using the tow hook. It was specifically designed for that purpose and to avoid damage by trying to tow using other attachment points.

The tow hook is usually stored in the tool compartment at the left side of the hatch, along with the air pump.

Oh, so the tow hook is rated to actually tow the vehicle down the road? I assumed you'd only want to use it to winch onto a flatbed.

truav8r said:
Oh, so the tow hook is rated to actually tow the vehicle down the road? I assumed you'd only want to use it to winch onto a flatbed.
No, "flat towing" down a road is not recommended. (The motor is always spinning while the front wheels turn since they are directly linked by the reduction gears; there is no way to disengage the wheels from the motor.)

But the tow hook can be used to pull a stuck vehicle back onto the road, as well as to winch it onto a trailer. The manual specifically states that tie down hooks are not to be used for this purpose, which is why Nissan supplies a tow hook that screws to the frame in their cars.

Back