Disappointed in VA...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdiscenza

I recently took a trip (in the family ICE) from northern Virginia to southeastern VA, and during the return trip had an opportunity to check out the "EV Charging Stations" installed at the rest stop along I-64.

Two pylons, with two 20a/120v outlets each!

No L2 240V EVSE, no DCQC, just a quartet of 120v outlets! How long am I expected to sit at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere VA waiting to top up a charge?

Who thought that 120v "Charging Stations" along an interstate highway would be a good idea??

Just griping, but I am truly disappointed.

G.D.

Apparently someone who does not have and has no idea about ev's. Even If sat two hours with a long picnic you would only get about 7or 8 miles.

You are obviously talking about the rest stops on I-64 between Williamsburg, VA and Richmond, VA. :lol: I thought it was pretty funny myself when we stopped there in the Volt on our way to Richmond for a restroom break and checked out the "plugs." When I noticed there were no EVSE's, and just 120V outlets I said the same thing. That it is useless. I wrote Dominion Power about it since they provided the stations, but never heard anything back. They have been there as long as I have been stationed here in Norfolk (3 years). So I don't ever expect them to get updated. If they put in L2 stations I would at least be able to take the Leaf to Richmond since they have a lot of EVSE's around there. However I doubt that day will ever come.

I'd be a nervous wreck taking our leaf more than about 25 miles from home. With the current state of affairs how can you ever depend on these facilities being as advertised, in working order, and not already occupied?

I take my Leaf between 30 and 40 miles from the house often without any type of EVSE support. I have gotten pretty comfortable with it over the years. The outlets do work, but people just do not waste time charging there since it is a 120V outlet. I could probably make it to Richmond from where I live on a single charge. However I would stop there for a few minutes to get a bump charge for good measure if there were L2's there. Till then I will just keep driving the Volt till I turn it in off lease, or my truck.

Back