How do you answer the really stupid questions that you get?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVD

This happens more often than I expected...

I got my Leaf a few weeks ago. It's been an awesome experience. When I drive my ICE car, it just feels so primitive, loud, dirty, etc...and my ICE car happens to be a $100k+ luxury car and it still feels like that. I much prefer driving the Leaf.

So when I talk about my excitement with others, I get the same stupid questions over and over again.

Q: But how can I drive from San Francisco and drive down to San Diego?

Yes, I know that you can in theory using charging stations, etc. (BC to BC rally, etc.). But we all know that the Leaf or any EV isn't meant to be a 100% replacement for your gas car. The guy that asked this question actually never drove from SF to San Diego in his entire life. But the theme is the same regarding range to go on a trip as if people take long vacations and trips via car every day.

I have tried to approach of emphasizing the use of an EV as covering 95%+ of your driving needs, not 100%. Mainly it's there to cover your daily commute, regular errands, etc. But for some reasons, these folks are so focused on those few times that they travel for vacation...

Q: What is the range really like?

Of course it is highly variable on speed, how you drive, etc. For my driving, I don't even think twice for trips 50 miles or less. 50-70 miles I think about and consciously try to conserve power while driving, and 70+ miles would make me slightly nervous where I would plan out some emergency charging stations, etc. I tend to be conservative though and this assumes 75% highway driving and 25% city.

The response that I get sometimes is "that's why I would never get an EV."

Sure, if you just want to hop into your car and never think about range, an EV isn't for you. But it's not that much work and the satisfaction of never pumping gas is more than enough motivation for me to keep range in mind.

Maybe just me but these 2 questions annoy me the most.

A: Patiently.

I don't know what it is about human nature that our opinion of the questioner goes down every time we hear the same question. Every discussion board has this same problem. But in the end, my personal history has no bearing on what they are asking. They don't know, and now's my chance to answer. A short answer if I don't want to get into it, and a longer explanation if I want and I think it will help.

So, the answer to Q1 is "take the Prius".

And, for the other, it's just as you said, in order of most common use:
- 50 miles or less, don't think twice.
- 50-70, think twice.
- Beyond that, think carefully, and
- Beyond that, plan. Consider where you can charge and how likely you will be able to. Otherwise, consider the answer to Question 1 :)

Oh, and for "There's really no engine?", I invite them to find the tailpipe :)

I never let them get that far. My approach is real simple:

As I talk about the car, I ask whomever I am speaking with "How much of your driving is within a 15 mile radius?" Invariably it's between 90 to 95%. So why have two gas guzzlers to go local? For any two car family in a suburban area, the Leaf is the ideal local car. I also put the energy cost in gas terms - for where I am, "fueling" the Leaf is like paying $1.30 for gas.

'Nuff said.

Its limitations are obvious but not nearly as inconvenient as many imagine. Once you explain why that is, go on to explain the things you really love about the car. For me, it's knowing that when I wake up the car is ready for my day, with no more effort than clicking a plug. All the "fuel" I need was magically delivered to my home and put in my "tank" while I slept. When I get into that "gassed-up", pre-warmed car there's no question about where the convenience lies.

I take the view that it's OK for them to not want one. We're all different. If someone asked me how I would drive 800 miles, I'd simply tell them that I wouldn't try in a LEAF, but I could do so easily in a Tesla.

I understand your frustration. Personally if those are the reasons they would never buy a Leaf, I tell them to look at a Volt. Of course I know that they will mostly stay within the 40 AER, even though they could easily drive from San Francisco to San Diego whenever they want.

What kind of range do you get?

70+ miles in warm weather - down to 40 when the temps get well below zero.

Has your electric bill gone up?

Sure, but by far less than our gasoline bill has gone down. Figure 3 cents per mile driving in the summer, 4 in winter. Then consider that you have no oil changes and overall about half of the car maintenance costs of a gas car. (I don't know why this is the most common question, but it is.)

What about battery life?

The primary factor in LEAF battery degradation is heat. Days over 80 degrees F all count, and as the temp gets higher the degradation grows exponentially. LEAF owners in Phoenix have already seen battery replacements under warranty after only 2 years. For cooler climates it's about miles on the car and age. If you consider 30% battery degradation to be the time to replace the batteries then where we live we expect about 8 years before replacements.

Do you need a home charging station? What does it cost?

You don't need it, since you can plug into any 110V outlet. But charging is much faster with a home 240V station. In most cases you can get them installed for under $1k these days, unless your house needs special electrical work.

How reliable are electric motors?

Far more reliable than gas or diesel. Electric motors are also more efficient and responsive. The only reason gas and diesel motors are used is in situations where getting electrical power to a motor is difficult. In fact, train locomotives have been diesel-electric hybrids since the 1930s - using electric motors between each axle to drive the train (as they are more reliable and precise) and diesel motors to generate electricity.

Q: What happens if you forget to plug in your car at night?
A: Same as if you forget to put gas in your regular car

Q: What happens if the power goes out at night?
A: What happens if you run over something and puncture the fuel tank (has happened to a couple of people I know) or some thief siphons all the gas out of your car (which has been happening a lot lately)?

I also tell people that my Leaf:

• Costs me $217.50 including sales tax to lease
  • Will out-accelerate to 40 MPH most cars you can lease for that kind of money
  • Costs less than $40 in electricity to drive 1,000 miles, vs. $160 in gas for a 25 MPG car @$4/gallon
  • Cost me a whopping $40 in maintenance for the first year, and only because I'm too lazy to do my own tire rotations
  • Allows me to drive in the non-HOT carpool lanes solo
  • As of a few weeks ago, allows me to drive for free in the Metro HOT lanes as long as I have the Metro FasTrak transponder

thankyouOB said:
When confronted with the hardheads, i usually employ this line:
Do you like buying gas?

I also remind these folks that the price of electricity is far less volatile than the price of gasoline or diesel, and any rate increases usually require some sort of public hearing.

When was the last time your local gas station, or Big Oil, asked for your opinion on a price hike? Also, fuel prices tend to jump up very quickly, but go down very slowly.

RonDawg said:
I also remind these folks that the price of electricity is far less volatile than the price of gasoline or diesel, and any rate increases usually require some sort of public hearing.
That observation will come in handy. Thanks :)

RonDawg said:
thankyouOB said:
Do you like buying gas?

I also remind these folks that the price of electricity is far less volatile than the price of gasoline or diesel, and any rate increases usually require some sort of public hearing........snip..........
... plus, you CAN'T build a refinery on your roof, but you CAN manufacture your own (tax free - non-Al Queda sponsoring) electricity on your roof.
:D

And you have a fairly undegraded battery... :lol:

I get a lot of questions about battery life and degradation these days when they find out how old my car is...

smkettner said:
2) 80 miles as long as you do not drive like a madman.

hill said:
RonDawg said:
thankyouOB said:
Do you like buying gas?

I also remind these folks that the price of electricity is far less volatile than the price of gasoline or diesel, and any rate increases usually require some sort of public hearing........snip..........
... plus, you CAN'T build a refinery on your roof, but you CAN manufacture your own (tax free - non-Al Queda sponsoring) electricity on your roof.
:D

and I do that. fuel costs me nothing with the solar i installed in 2008.

I've tried the "get a volt" or "get a plug-in prius", etc. but then they just complain about price since a prius-C is under $20k and even with federal tax incentives, etc. all of our cars are above that.

i was probably just venting a little bit anyway. some folks are simply just illogical. even they will admit that most of their driving is within 20 miles so even the argument of pointing out that they should have one ev and one ICE falls on deaf ears as they say "yeah but we might have a day when both of us need to drive 100 miles"...

i guess the whole "do you like buying gas?" is probably going to be how i end these discussion...i mean, if you really like buying gas then there isn't really much i can say.

If they start the attitute ask what part of buying gas they like.
Is it the detour out of your way? Waiting in line? Getting in the right line? Price? Fumes? Spills? Awkward menus that are hard to read? Leaving the kids in the car while you go in to pay?

How about asking a stupid question about their gasoline car:

Q: How do you avoid stopping at the gas station with your gasoline car?

Back