Driving range display.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tszukow

Ok, here I have simple question about range display-yet I can not find straight logic answer in the manual or on the internet. By pressing range button on steering wheel the map with two circles pop out. According to the manual on page 2-4 the outside "grey" circle called "extended" is matching the Km left on the "fuel gauge" . However inside called "normal" is almost half of regular distance. Extended is always recalculated if I start climate or ECO mode. My question is how inside -white circle range is calculated or is it the "return" range ?

XeonPony said:
think of it like this, white is the gurenteed 1 way range that you will make it to. grey is if you drive very conservatively.
+1 NAV does not know elevation gain, how straight the road is, which way the wind is blowing, how fast you plan to drive.

The salesman whom I bought the car from told me the small circle was for range with climate control on, and the larger circle was for range without climate control on... :)

Mottyski82 said:
The salesman whom I bought the car from told me the small circle was for range with climate control on, and the larger circle was for range without climate control on... :)

Car salesmen. Purveyors of BS since 1904.

Car salesmen is usually the person who work yesterday in McDonald's and finally save enough money to buy decent clothes to become car salesmen.

The inner circle is based on a percentage of the outer circle. It is not round-trip range. Both circles are "as the crow flies" so they only provide some image of the range unless the car is driven exclusively on a straight road from origin that is perpendicular to the circles.

Thought I would give this thread a bump.
I have a 2016 Leaf SV. The inner white circle seems to match the range to the first low battery warning. I've compared this number to their range screen in Leaf Spy where I've set the m/kW to a recent average. It isn't an exact match of course as nothing is. I used the inner circle recently to estimate the charge needed to get from Concord, NH to White River Jct, VT. This is a very hilly interstate and there was bad weather in the forecast. I gave a 20 mile buffer to the inner circle number and left with that. It worked out pretty close. Well under. I traveled 55 mph. Yes conservative but as we know there is no way to calculate the elevation changes.
Basically I've found if my destination is inside the white circle I can make it without stopping to charge. I do check this while driving as well to see if it has changed due to elapsed conditions. Next time I hit LBW I'll see where that circle is.

Back