Free charging is NOT a good thing.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

I just went to check out the "electric avenue" at PSU today. Basically, it's two quick chargers and a couple level 2s, all free. There were cars parked at each quick charger, both completed, probably forever ago. One of the cars was plastered with signs basically saying "If you unplug me, I'll hunt you down and murder your family." I got a super-competitive, very unfriendly vibe from the place and will not be returning if I can help it. Quick charging can be too expensive (Aerovironment and your $7.50, I'm looking at you), but free is too cheap. When I need a charge, I need it, and don't want to compete with people who have no home charging and are sitting there to (and probably past) 100%.

pkulak said:
I just went to check out the "electric avenue" at PSU today. Basically, it's two quick chargers and a couple level 2s, all free. There were cars parked at each quick charger, both completed, probably forever ago. One of the cars was plastered with signs basically saying "If you unplug me, I'll hunt you down and murder your family."
Re: that sign, what an ass. :roll:

If the car's completed charging, I'd have unplugged it, provided you could either plug yourself in or another waiting car.

Be sure to leave a note on Plugshare dictating proper sharing etiquette. I'd also have left the completed cars a note, esp. the guy w/the sign.

EVDRIVER said:
I never leave a QC unattended when charging.
I wish all DC FC users were like you or at least left their contact info. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=356517#p356517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I've only once left my car DC FCing. I put up a sign on my car w/my phone #, saying basically call me if the DC FC is outputting 7.0 kW or less (the one I use indicates kW, not volts nor amps) or you need to urgently charge.

Fortunately, my more recent DC FC usage attempts have been a bit better. Either there was nobody in front of me or there was a friendly driver w/his car already and nowhere near tapering.

So if $8 per session (typical) is charged how does that help? Seems he could be there all day.
Need kWh price with minimum $5 per connected hour.

Otherwise this guy needs to get used to being unplugged.

pkulak said:
I just went to check out the "electric avenue" at PSU today. Basically, it's two quick chargers and a couple level 2s, all free. There were cars parked at each quick charger, both completed, probably forever ago. One of the cars was plastered with signs basically saying "If you unplug me, I'll hunt you down and murder your family." I got a super-competitive, very unfriendly vibe from the place and will not be returning if I can help it. Quick charging can be too expensive (Aerovironment and your $7.50, I'm looking at you), but free is too cheap. When I need a charge, I need it, and don't want to compete with people who have no home charging and are sitting there to (and probably past) 100%.
What's the plate number ;-)

Public charging should have limits or a big sign with house rules "share!". My car has a sign "if I'm done PLEASE take the plug!"

Good implementations: supermarket - first hour free, next hour $5.00. Department store (with questionable card number security) first two hours free, next hour(s) $5.00/each.

pkulak said:
One of the cars was plastered with signs basically saying "If you unplug me, I'll hunt you down and murder your family."

I would have unplugged him and found a dog turd and smashed it into his charging port! LMAO!!! :lol:

I'd like to see free spots start charging 30 minutes after the charge completes until the plug is removed.

The charger owner could clean up with a (appropriate sinage) "will tow after 30 minutes" truck just a minute away. It's a whole lot more costly to get your ride out of impound, than a paltry $5-$10 for shmoes that use QC stalls as camp grounds.

Lasareath said:
What?! :?

Zythryn said:
I'd like to see free spots start charging 30 minutes after the charge completes until the plug is removed.

Absolutely. Charge for free, but if your car stays hooked up after it has completed you are charged for filling the space, but not using it.

You get rid of the inconsiderate cheapskates, freeing up the charger for people that need it.

The minimum price should mimic home electric rates so that charging in public costs about the same or more as home.

That will eliminate the very specific type of freeloader that camps out on the charging station to save 50 cents of home electricity when people who really need the unit can't use it. I have run across two very specific people who have charging stations at home but choose to use the same free public charger each and every day to save a few cents.

Modest fees will solve the problem immediately and make it less desirable to the freeloaders...

Randy said:
The minimum price should mimic home electric rates so that charging in public costs about the same or more as home.
+1

eVgo got their rates just about right in San Diego. First you decide whether or not $15/month is worth it to you for range peace of mind with a rapidly degrading battery. Then if you go for it they could have had the same charger squatting problem if they had set a zero *incremental* cost. But on top of the monthly fee they charge a per minute fee that works out to just about the same price as charging at home during peak TOU rates.

Thus if you don't need the charge there's no incentive to drive out of your way to use an eVgo charger rather than more conveniently charging at home. But if you do need the charge there's no incentive to take excessive risk with your range to save a few pennies at home. You do just as well to charge where you need when you need.

Finally since the fee is per minute instead of per kWh there is a big incentive to unplug and get out of the way as soon as you have what you need, since the fee per kWh goes up sharply after 80%.

smkettner said:
I would have unplugged him immediately. :lol:
Ditto. I have no qualms about unplugging somebody if their session is over.

I seldom leave my car out of sight while on the DCFC, except maybe to use the restroom or grab a cup of coffee. If I'm above 80% or so, and I need to go all the way to 100% (such as for the Burlington-to-Everett stretch on I-5), if somebody is waiting, I will move my car from the DCFC to the L2, since the kW rates are comparable at that SOC. Gives me time to grab another cup of coffee. :D

Not all drivers as this masterful in the arts of courtesy and common sense. Signage, along with laws with sharp teeth to back said signage up, are needed to help those who are etiquette-disabled.

Back