ste4en wrote:I am a happy Leaf owner, but wanted to warn other owners of the potential for fire at home. Purchased leaf 3 moths ago and using the Nissan supplied trickle 110 V cable to charge daily. Last week awoke 3am to smell something in the house, found the outlet used to supply the charge was melted out. The 2*4 studs either side of the outlet charred through. The affected garage wall is a shared wall with my dining room. When I inspected the wall after finding the initial burning, the paint on the wall was just starting to bubble up. Fire department got there quickly and damage was limited, but it could have burned my house down.
The circuit breaker did trip. Either the cable got too hot from the high amps it was drawing or a loose connection in the socket was to blame.
I ordered a level 2 charger and will install that on a dedicated circuit.
I called Nissan to see if they needed to check my car or trickle unit; they were very defensive and said its my house not the car and they didn't need to see it. I am not sure if I can repair the trickle cable it is a little melted at the plug but otherwise fine.
So please check your connections and be careful.
I'm glad your damage was limited.
Your experience is exactly why Nissan recommends strongly against routine use of the L1 EVSE, which has been extensively discussed in other threads.
There is just too much risk in many outlets for it to be routinely used by a lot of people.
Some percentage will run into serious problems, unless they verify the outlet is in very good condition and has good quality wiring connected properly with screw connections.
And even then, routine plugging and unplugging daily is causing wear and tear on the receptacle, and it will need to be inspected periodically to be sure it is still in good condition.
Was your L1 EVSE the original 2011 / 2012, or the newer 2013? Based on your delivery date likely 2013.
It is my understanding that the newer 2013 has built in temperature monitoring that will shut down the EVSE if the plug gets too hot. The 2011 / 2012 does not have that.
But even with the 2013 model, if the wiring is poor or has bad push in connections, it would still be possible for damage to occur before the EVSE would shut down.