Extreme cold seems to unbalance the pack!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

This winter has been quite a bit colder than last, so I am having my first experiences with driving the LEAF in temperatures below 10F. I know others do this frequently, but I don't recall any previous discussion of large cell imbalances as a result of driving in the cold.

What I find is that the battery pack in our LEAF is constantly much more imbalanced than I am used to seeing. In warmer weather, the cells in our LEAF tend to be within about 20mV or so. Not so this winter! Yesterday, I was driving on a highway in 10F weather at about 60 MPH. If I was consuming about 30 kW while climbing a hill, I saw a voltage range of 60 mV...and this was with a 60% SOC! The signature was clear: The bar graph on LEAFSpy looked like a rectified sine wave: The first 48 cell-pairs (which are the ones under the back seat) were low on the ends and high in the middle. The same was true of the other 48 cell-pairs (which are under the front seats and the rear footboard). It appeared that the cell-pairs on the outside of the rear stack were colder and therefore had much more voltage drop than those in the center. A similar effect seemed to also occur with the front stacks, although their relative thermal properties are much less obvious to me.

Well, today I went out on the same 26-mile trip, but I had little notice, so I left with only 55% SOC. I figured I would arrive home with more than 20% SOC, so no problem. Well, I was right, I got back with 20.1% SOC, but not before hitting LBW at 25.7% and VLBW at 20.8%! After letting the LEAF sit quietly for a little while in the garage to let the cells settle down, I noticed that there was a 235 mV difference between the lowest and highest cells! (Cell-pair 37 was the lowest at 3.375V and cell-pairs 1 and 32 were next at around 3.422V.) Battery temperatures ranged from 35.1F to 38.0F.

The LEAF had last been charged to 100% yesterday and typically gets charged to 100% roughly once each week. The car has 16,613 miles on it and currently shows a capacity of 58.67 Ah and a Hlth of 86.90%.

So I am wondering the following things:

1) Is this what others normally see for the LEAF cell balance when the car is driven down to 20% SOC in extremely cold weather?
2) The minimum cell-pair voltages is below the 3712 mV specified in the service manual for the CELL VOLTAGE LOSS INSPECTION test. Should I be alarmed that cell-pair 37 is right at the judgment value for replacement as calculated in the service manual? (Judgment value: 3.37V Cell-pair 37: 3.375V
3) Was I about to hit turtle even though the battery showed it still had a 20% SOC? If not, why not? (It seems that cell-pair 37 was headed south and a few others were not too far behind.)

I guess I'm a little bit concerned that I left home with 55% SOC and consumed only about 35% of that SOC, but apparently nearly came up short. That would not have been a pleasant outcome when it is 10F outside.

Thoughts?

Reg:

Thanks for reporting this. I don't have any of the fancy equipment that you have, but have noticed some weird behavior as well:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtop...&sid=fcce9b1ad1d0a7146524c1d58a3656d9#p348011
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtop...&sid=fcce9b1ad1d0a7146524c1d58a3656d9#p349333
I think your results may explain my observations. I normally keep the Leaf around 40-50%, charging on L1, and driving less than 20 mi per day. Since my New Year's Eve experience, I've been charging to 100% more often (probably twice each week) and keeping the battery between 50-80%.
EDIT:
RegGuheert said:
So I am wondering the following things:

1) Is this what others normally see for the LEAF cell balance when the car is driven down to 20% SOC in extremely cold weather? Yes, I think that happened to me.
3) Was I about to hit turtle even though the battery showed it still had a 20% SOC? If not, why not? (It seems that cell-pair 37 was headed south and a few others were not too far behind.)From my linked post, I experienced turtle-like behavior with three bars, so yes, I think you were close.

I guess I'm a little bit concerned that I left home with 55% SOC and consumed only about 35% of that SOC, but apparently nearly came up short. That would not have been a pleasant outcome when it is 10F outside.Agreed. Since I was only 4 mi from home, walking wouldn't have been too difficult since I dress for the worst, but still annoying. I recall Tony Williams having an unexpected turtle experience with his first Leaf, not low temps, but maybe a similar pack voltage difference.

Thanks for the feedback, Reddy!

I really liked the reply from your dealership! :roll:
Reddy said:
Anyway, the tech said there wasn't much data available about the event, except that the battery had been at 10% when it happened. He said if it happens again, to leave the car ON and get it to the dealership so that he can pull the codes.
Perhaps that would be possible if the dealership is next door to your home, but mine is eleven miles away!

Temperatures have regularly been below 0°F. My pack is less balanced than it was in the Fall, but I wouldn't say it's "unbalanced."

I did, however, turtle one night when it was -8°F with 8 Gids and 8.6% SOC remaining according to LEAF Battery App. Whereas, I had dropped to six Gids two or three times in warmer weather without seeing the turtle.

I wonder if the imbalance is due to temperature gradients across the battery pack. The 2011 doesn't have the battery warmer unless you have the cold weather package. I wonder if those with a battery warmer will see the same imbalance.

Berlino said:
Temperatures have regularly been below 0°F. My pack is less balanced than it was in the Fall, but I wouldn't say it's "unbalanced."

I did, however, turtle one night when it was -8°F with 8 Gids and 8.6% SOC remaining according to LEAF Battery App. Whereas, I had dropped to six Gids two or three times in warmer weather without seeing the turtle.
Do you happen to know what the spread in voltages was?
reeler said:
I wonder if the imbalance is due to temperature gradients across the battery pack.
That seems to be clearly what is happening when driving at significant power levels in the extreme cold.

What is less clear to me is how individual cell-pairs are tending to get so unbalanced, since some of the low ones are in the middle of the rear pack while others are on the end.
reeler said:
The 2011 doesn't have the battery warmer unless you have the cold weather package. I wonder if those with a battery warmer will see the same imbalance.
No, I don't have a battery warmer. But I don't think that comes on above 0F.
scottf200 said:
Is this a benefit of the liquid temperature management system in some of the other BEVs - balance temp as well?
Yes, I think it is, Scott. In an nearly isothermal condition, it should be much easier for the BMS to keep the pack balanced.

Here are some calcs on the effect of the cold plus the imbalance:

New balanced battery at 70F: LBW at 49 GIDs or 17% SOC.
Estimated SOC at LBW for my 11%-degraded battery: ~19%.
Calculated available capacity based on hitting LBW at 25.7%: ~66%.

My previous experience around 30F outside temperatures has been not much noticeable range degradation. But I really feel the effects at 10F and below!

You could maybe make a correlation that the cells need to balanced more often. Charging to 100% daily (twice), I get a full balanced pack and even when finished driving only average about ~20mV between the min/max cells. You could be right that the colder weather may cause a greater imbalance, and, most likely would need to balance the pack more often.

Cold weather does some really freaky things to batteries and can slow the actual electron flow, thuse slowing down voltage balancing. If the battery is cold enough normal shunting during driving is just not enough to keep up since the flow is slower.

Just a guess.

This would also explain why I get less regen at higher speeds. So last few weeks I've noticed that the bubbles appear and disappear for regen. At higher speeds (45+) the pack cools off even when using more energy which should heat it since the cells on the outside are being cooled by the frigid air which means they don't take the regen as well. When I slow down to 35 the bubble that I lost at 45 reappears after a while and I get more regen than before. It's been limited to about 10 in the extreme cold when on the same road during the summer I can get 20-30.

RegGuheert said:
Pipcecil said:
You could maybe make a correlation that the cells need to balanced more often.
Agreed. I also probably need to maintain the SOC higher than the 30% where I normally keep it.
Reg, sounds like our charging behavior and driving habits are nearly identical. This may be more evidence that we need to balance our packs more often. Also, here's another thread that seems to be discussing a similar situation for the 2013 Leaf:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776&start=170#p351521

ksnogas2112 said:
This would also explain why I get less regen at higher speeds. So last few weeks I've noticed that the bubbles appear and disappear for regen.
No, that happens regardless of temperature. You will see the same behavior at high SOC, for example. For some reason Nissan allows less regen at higher speeds proportional to whatever the current maximum regen value is. The LEAF seems to allows maximum regen around 20 mph, when regen is limited to 30 kW or less.

This is more visible on '11-12 LEAFs after the P3227 update.

What happened to my Regen?

Berlino said:
RegGuheert said:
Do you happen to know what the spread in voltages was? [At a premature turtle in very cold weather]

I took screen-shots of LEAF Spy shortly afterwards, but I am not sure I can trust the results:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776&start=170#p351489
Thanks! Wow, that is significantly more balanced than our LEAF pack at a much lower SOC:

Yours: 106 mV of imbalance at 8.5% SOC
Ours: 235 mV of imbalance at 20.1% SOC

I'll update here on whether or not this becomes an ongoing issue or whether the pack simply needs to rebalance itself.

drees said:
ksnogas2112 said:
This would also explain why I get less regen at higher speeds. So last few weeks I've noticed that the bubbles appear and disappear for regen.
No, that happens regardless of temperature. You will see the same behavior at high SOC, for example. For some reason Nissan allows less regen at higher speeds proportional to whatever the current maximum regen value is. The LEAF seems to allows maximum regen around 20 mph, when regen is limited to 30 kW or less.

This is more visible on '11-12 LEAFs after the P3227 update.

What happened to my Regen?

Except with the same approximate SOC with the only difference being warmer temps I get more regen at the same speed - 45mph - when the pack is warm.

RegGuheert said:
Well, I was right, I got back with 20.1% SOC, but not before hitting LBW at 25.7% and VLBW at 20.8%! After letting the LEAF sit quietly for a little while in the garage to let the cells settle down, I noticed that there was a 235 mV difference between the lowest and highest cells! (Cell-pair 37 was the lowest at 3.375V and cell-pairs 1 and 32 were next at around 3.422V.) Battery temperatures ranged from 35.1F to 38.0F.
Just a quick update:

On Tuesday I drove 63.6 miles in 30F weather, starting at full and arriving home just before VLBW (GOM:4). LBW occurred at a more reasonable SOC of 22.6%, which is still high for a LEAF battery which supposedly still has a capacity of 58.65 Ah. The readings at the end of the trip showed an SOC of 16.1% and the cell-pair voltage range was 60 mV. The same three cell-pairs were the lowest: Cell-pair 37 at 3.655V and cell-pairs 1 and 32 at about 3.673V.

Clearly cell-pair 37 was beginning to fall off the cliff again. Interestingly, I had watched cell-pair 37 during the entire trip and it very closely matched the other cell-pairs. Until the very end it was not below the average of the others, and perhaps was actually just slightly higher.

So, what do I conclude at this point?
- Cell-pair 37 is the weak link in our LEAF's battery pack.
- Cell-pairs 1 and 32 are the next weakest links in our battery pack.
- Range has dropped precipitously this winter versus last. At 30F OAT, a 70-mile round trip with no heat is no longer possible while 75 miles over a similar course would get me home just below LBW last winter.
- The SOC calculated by the car appears to match the average SOC for all the cells rather than the lowest one which will ultimately limit the driving range. (This is pre-P3229 firmware update!)
- The effect of the lowest cells on driving range seems more pronounced at 10F than at 30F. As such, it is possible that the real issue with cell-pair 37 could be more related to an increase in electrical resistance than a decrease in capacity. (Of course it is both, but it seems the resistance issue really rears its head in the very cold weather.)

I will be getting the BMS firmware update within the next two months. While there have been a range of experiences mainly from no change to significant drop in capacity, I am going to predict that this change for our LEAF will result in a real drop in available capacity, since the current firmware seems to over-estimate it. My thinking is that the new firmware may take better account of the fact that the lowest-capacity cell is what limits the overall usable battery capacity.

Given my recent experiences, my previous expectations of achieving a very long life with this battery are now significantly dampened. Now I am starting to think in line with many others here: I wonder if my battery will drop below 9 bars before 5 years are out instead of just shortly afterwards.

Back