Shades of gray

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG

I have a black leaf, but would have preferred gray had it been available in 2011.

For 2013, they announced a new gray color, and showed off a 2013 prototype car in a dark/metallic/slate gray that looked good to me:
2013-nissan-leaf-inline-photo-496159-s-original.jpg

2013-nissan-leaf-01-628-1357743465.jpg

leaf1_zps286af2a3.png

But when the "Metallic Slate" production version came out it seemed to me that the gray was a bit lighter and less metallic:
Metallic-Slate-LEAF-side.jpg

leaf2_zpsef3b0c73.png

Did others notice this too?

And for 2014, it looks like they are switching from "Metallic Slate (KBC?)" to "Gunmetal Metallic (KAD)".

Apparently the UK version already had the KAD/Gunmetal color in 2013:
er_photo_196387_52.jpg

Nissan apparently has a whole bunch of different gray paint types for different vehicles including:

K26/Hippo Gray Metallic
K50/Dark Slate Metallic
K51/Gray Metallic
KAC/Desert Shadow Metallic
KAD/Gun Metallic
KBC/Metallic Slate
KBG/Brownish Gray Metallic

K13/Dark Gray Metallic
KAX/Dark Gray Metallic
KBD/Dark Gray Metallic

I wonder if the 2013 prototype was painted in K50 (Dark Slate Metallic) but they switched to KBC (Metallic Slate) for production?

Sorry, can't get past "Cronic Nissan" :lol:

Hard to from the pics. Sometimes lighting and processing of the image can drastically change the impression from real-life. And then there is monitor calibration. Hard to accurately portray car colors online.

I think they switched it because they already run that paint on other models in the Smyrna plant.

Back