Software Update Letter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

Anyone else gotten the letter from Nissan about the software update?

Anyone done it yet?

I just received this letter. It appears to be Voluntary, not a recall. What do the experts on the board here think? do it, or ignore it??? ( I have 2013 model)

This is what it says...

""Reason for service campaign:

The Power Delivery Module (PDM) software logic of your vehicle may detect an error when subjected to high internal temperatures when no error is in fact present. As a result, vehicle charging may not occur. To correct this, the vehicle PDM software will need to be reprogrammed.

This voluntary service campaign is intended to address this issue and is being conducted for customer satisfaction purposes. No safety issue exists, and the vehicle still meets and/or exceeds applicable safety standards. ""

Sounds like they are issuing the fix to the problem many of us first discovered early this summer: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just received the P3259 Voluntary Service Campaign for the Power Delivery Module (PDM) software.

I had the PDM software reprogrammed this summer after my 2013 Leaf SL stopped charging at 42%. I assume that this is one in the same issue. I will check with dealer to be certain.

We too had the issue with charging cutting off about half-way and the dealer did an update. Now I have received the P3259 letter. I called the dealer, and they said it is a different problem, I need to have it done. After reading various posts about unintended adverse consequences from performing updates on LEAFs that are working just fine, I'm going to pass on this one.

Interesting to me that our 2012 LEAF SL, made in Japan, has had ZERO, ZILCH, NONE, NADA issues. It is perfect. The 2013 LEAF SV, with both packages, made in Tennessee, US of A, on the other hand, has been back to the dealer twice in the first 6000 miles for unbalanced tires and reprogramming of PDM, and now there is the P3259 recall. Is that a reflection of Smyrna vs Japan build quality, or something else?

In all fairness, I should point out that the quality of the glass in the US-built 2013 LEAF is far superior to the Japan-built 2012. The Japanese glass is wavy and distorted; the US-made Pilkington glass in the 2013 is optically perfect.

I got the notice a few days ago, posted a question on this forum the next day, was advised to get it, and just had it done today. No difference at all on the way the car works. I'd have it done now. Doesn't hurt anything, might prevent a problem and you get a free car wash out of the deal. How can you lose? I brought something I had to read anyway, and read it while I waited. Took 45 minutes.

The drive train on the US assembled 2013 is sourced from Japan. I doubt this software issue has anything to do with location of assembly. On the other hand, I do notice some fit and finish differences on my 13 being a bit less precise than my 11.

Interesting. The quality of the glass in my 2011 is as good as anything I have ever seen elsewhere...

alcalira said:
In all fairness, I should point out that the quality of the glass in the US-built 2013 LEAF is far superior to the Japan-built 2012. The Japanese glass is wavy and distorted; the US-made Pilkington glass in the 2013 is optically perfect.

I have received the letter also, but then it went in the shredder by mistake while cleaning up my old mail. Would anyone be so nice to post a scanned copy or a link where I can download a copy? thanks!

BTW:
I had the PDM issue and the whole PDM replaced last summer. I think my software is already up to date, but I want the dealer to double check, so I would need the letter because dealers otherwise always pretend they know nothing about it.

thanks!

sfiorini said:
I have received the letter also, but then it went in the shredder by mistake while cleaning up my old mail. Would anyone be so nice to post a scanned copy or a link where I can download a copy? thanks!

BTW:
I had the PDM issue and the whole PDM replaced last summer. I think my software is already up to date, but I want the dealer to double check, so I would need the letter because dealers otherwise always pretend they know nothing about it.

thanks!
They didn't even look at mine. You Can just go to the dealer and they know from the computer whether
they will do it or not.

The 2013 rental I had for a while last year had the PDM problem.. L2 6kW charging would stop after a while if it was too hot. Don't imagine it would be a problem in winter, but I'd still get the update if I had a 2013.

TomT said:
Interesting. The quality of the glass in my 2011 is as good as anything I have ever seen elsewhere...
My windshield is noticably distorted (many others reported this as well). You get used to it after a year or so, though.

I don't consider it distorted, necessarily, but it has some sort of particulate matter imbeddded in it that disappears when you move your head, and returns when you stop. That's the first thing I noticed back in 2011.

sfiorini said:

BTW:
It's possible it's not up to date.

Previously, there was NTB13-069, which I had applied (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329929#p329929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) because I hit the exact symptoms described in the TSB. That TSB was dated July 12, 2013.

I received a notice via snail mail on December 13, 2013 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=343321#p343321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). A Leaf tech posted an advistory on November 22nd "New recall out for a PDM reprogram on most 2013 Leaf's. Call your dealer to see if it applies to your vehicle." (don't like his use of the term "recall", but whatever). I posted what he posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194&p=341557&hilit=ntb13#p341557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. TSB isn't not up at Nissanhelp.com yet.

Back