Ice storm: Charging the LEAF battery to full

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

All of the power lines around here are overhead, so the coming ice storm brings the possibility of outages. In the past, preparations focused on ensuring the generator was fueled and working, but it is no longer the first line of defense.

Now the LEAF is the preferred source of power at the beginning of an outage. There are a couple of reasons for this:

- LEAF can provide power for essential loads for up to a day without the need to put any equipment out into the weather.
- There are no issues with dangerous fuels or fumes.
- By using the LEAF for the first hours of an outage, the total time that we can cover an outage without needing to find more fuel is increased.

That said, I would still like to see a ChaDeMo inverter which makes powering electrical loads from the LEAF battery safer, simpler and more powerful.

Anyone selling the vehicle to grid device yet... here in USA... I know it is in Japan... something like 4k?

jsongster said:
Anyone selling the vehicle to grid device yet... here in USA... I know it is in Japan... something like 4k?
Not to my knowledge. That said, the LEAF Advisory Board has recommended to Nissan that they make this available here to act as a backup generator solution.

Personally, while I think having LEAF-to-Home power capability (6kW?) would be very convenient, I suspect it would lead many to run down their LEAF battery very quickly in an outage. I would prefer about 2kW of power capability (split-phase) as a good compromise between cost, size and utility. Such a device would be something you could throw into the trunk and take with you when camping, etc.

mikeEmike said:
Klayfish said:
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you use the LEAF battery to power your home?
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?rssid=28036
+1

Note that the battery in the LEAF is capable of providing more power to the vehicle's drivetrain than the cable from the power company can provide to my home. The Chademo connector has roughly the same power capability as the service to my house.

Here is my preferred solution: Mitsubishi iMiev Power Box. Unfortunately, that box reportedly does not work with the Nissan LEAF.

But here is what I have done in the past: Emergency power from the LEAF 12V system (As others have noted elsewhere, that is clearly not the safest setup.

Someone else has done a very nice job of safely integrating a 12V inverter into their LEAF, but I'm not sure how to find it. Does anyone have a link to that thread?

ebill3 said:
RegGuheert said:
Someone else has done a very nice job of safely integrating a 12V inverter into their LEAF, but I'm not sure how to find it. Does anyone have a link to that thread?
Maybe this one?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097

Yes, That's a good one :roll: :roll: :roll:

Actually used my system yesterday in the Ice storm, but ran into a little wrinkle.
The entire car was covered in 4 inches of snow, and then iced over.
Couldn't get anything open.
Had to heat water on the gas stove, and pour it on the leaf to de-ice.
Worked, slowly, but just goes to show you it's always something.

Leafy needs a garage space I guess.

KillaWhat said:
Yes, That's a good one :roll: :roll: :roll:
That's it! (And I say that without any eye rolls!) I highly recommend your approach over the what I did!
KillaWhat said:
Leafy needs a garage space I guess.
Yes, the ability to power things without going out into the storm which caused the outage is a great feature of power-from-LEAF-in-garage.

If I were going to use the Leaf for power in an outage, I think I'd charge to 96% or so, unless I knew I'd be using power within hours of the end of charge. In the latter case I'd charge to 100%. Remember that you can also 'pre-charge' your home a bit, by raising the heat a couple of degrees, and lowering the thermostat in the fridge...

Back