Form Letter to "Opt Out" of the Nissan Class Action by Oct28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you send in the "Opt-Out" letter?

• Yes I have sent it, as I do not wish to be part of this civil class action

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • No, I will remain in the class action

Votes: 46 43.0%

• Total voters

TonyWilliams

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 is the last day the you can overnight an Opt-Out letter.

Tony

-You do not have to give a reason to opt-out.
-I don't think it will matter much to the Settlement Administrator, but this is the template to opt-out:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[today's date]

Nissan Leaf Settlement Administrator
P.O. Box 43191
Providence, RI 02940-3191

(1) Re: Humberto Daniel Klee and David Wallak, individually, and on behalf of a class of similarly situated individuals v. Nissan North America, Inc., Civil Action CV 12-08238.

(2) [your full name] [your current address] [phone number]

(3) [year] Nissan LEAF

(4) VIN: [VIN number], mileage: [odometer reading]

(5) Please exclude me from the Klee Settlement.

(6) I do not wish to be a Settlement Class Member and want to be excluded from the Settlement.

(7) [signed] [date]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Letter must be recieved by the Administrator by Oct. 28, 2013

The following was authored by "voltswagon":

(2 ) [name]
[address]

[date]

Nissan Leaf Settlement Administrator
P.O. Box 43191
Providence, RI 02940-3191

(1) Re: Humberto Daniel Klee and David Wallak, individually, and on behalf of a class of similarly situated individuals v. Nissan North America, Inc., Civil Action CV 12-08238.

(7) I do not wish to be a Settlement Class Member and want to be excluded from the Klee & Wallak Settlement. My reason for wanting to be excluded from this settlement is that the settlement does not address the misrepresentations of Nissan North America as to the real-world driving range of the vehicle when Nissan’s charging guidance to 80%, and the loss of battery capacity over the life of the battery are considered. The manufacturer openly represented an operating range of 100 miles for the 2011 Nissan Leaf while obscuring their recommendations to 80% battery charging. Second, the 100 mile range claims were not tempered by the expected average range of the vehicle to 70% original capacity at 10 years of operation. Considering these factors together gives that vehicle a practical range of 55 miles over the usable life of the vehicle. Real world experience has also shown that a reduction to 70% of original charge capacity can onset much sooner than 10 years of use. The operational range difference between the advertised 100 miles and real world experience represents material damage to each of the class participants regardless of their current range capacity or their expected charge capacity at 5 years / 60,000 miles. This damage is not addressed in this settlement. Furthermore, driving a Nissan Leaf until it identifies only 8-capacity bars ignores the impracticality of using a vehicle that has already sustained 2 or 3 bars of capacity loss. The degradation at 9-bars of is severe enough to render the car impracticle for most drivers to continue to operate.

(8) I have made no other objections against any class actions lawsuits in the previous 5 years
(9) I will not appear at the Fairness hearing; I will not be represented by other counsel
(10) No persons will be called upon by me in support of my objections

(2) [name] [phone number]
[address]

(3) [vehicle year and model #]
(5) VIN: [VIN number]
(6) Mileage: [mileage]
(4) Purchased: [approximate purchase date]. [whether vehicle is owned or leased]

[signature]

Here are alternate drafts to point (7) :

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=326779#p326779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=326704#p326704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Needs to be received by October 28th)

Link to original thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=310869#p310869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please consider this also:

Vuman said:
The notice letter that you recieved is a summary from the plaintiffs lawyer. If you clink on http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can see the actual court settlement document. There are actually 10 requirements to opt-out, although only 7 are listed in the notice that we received from the lawyers. They convenietly left out #7 where you have to list a specific and clear reason you object to the settlement.

This is copied from the actual court document:

REQUESTS FOR EXCLUSION FROM THE SETTLEMENT CLASS
10. To request exclusion from the Settlement Class, a Settlement Class
Member must mail to the Settlement Administrator an appropriate written request
for exclusion, which request must be actually received by the Settlement
Administrator no later than 21 days prior to the Fairness Hearing Date (the “Opt-
Out Date”) at the following address: [Address to be designated by Settlement
Administrator]. A Settlement Class Member wishing to exclude himself/herself
from the Settlement must send to the Settlement Administrator a signed letter
including (1) the name of the lawsuit; (2) his/her full name, current address and
telephone number; (3) the model year and make of his or her vehicle(s) and
approximate date(s) of purchase or lease; (4) whether the Settlement Class
Member still owns or leases the vehicle(s); (5) the VIN number of the vehicle(s);
(6) current odometer mileage of the vehicle(s) currently owned or leased; (7) a
specific and clear statement of the Settlement Class Member’s reasons for
objecting to the Settlement, including the factual and legal grounds for his or her
position;
(8) a detailed list of any other objections to any class action settlements
submitted to any court, whether State, Federal, or otherwise, in the United States
in the previous five years;(9) whether the Settlement Class Member intends to
appear at the Fairness Hearing and whether the Settlement Class Member will be
represented by separate counsel; and (10) a list of all persons, if any, who will be
called to testify in support of the objection. The request must be personally signed
by or on behalf of the Settlement Class Member requesting exclusion, and shall
not be effective unless it is made in the manner and within the time set forth in this
paragraph. No Settlement Class Member, or any person acting on behalf or in
concert or participation with that Settlement Class Member, may request the
exclusion of any other Settlement Class Member from the Settlement Class.

Here's the link to the actual settlement document: http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com/Documents/NNK0001/NNK%20-%20Executed%20Preliminary%20Approval%20Order.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Line 16, item 10 of page 4 (or page 5 of the PDF) covers opting-out.

Can't you ask to be excluded from the action, but perhaps not the settlement!! ;) (otherwise know as 'having one's cake and eating it'!)

donald said:
Can't you ask to be excluded from the action, but perhaps not the settlement!! ;) (otherwise know as 'having one's cake and eating it'!)

There are whole threads with those questions. This thread is just for folks who need assistance in opting out.

donald said:
Since the whole settlement is the capacity warranty that was already announced, the answer is essentially, "yes". I'll be opting out as soon as I find a stamp.

Tony,

Just copied this from the court documents posted at http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REQUESTS FOR EXCLUSION FROM THE SETTLEMENT CLASS
10. To request exclusion from the Settlement Class, a Settlement Class
Member must mail to the Settlement Administrator an appropriate written request
for exclusion, which request must be actually received by the Settlement
Administrator no later than 21 days prior to the Fairness Hearing Date (the “Opt-
Out Date”) at the following address: [Address to be designated by Settlement
Administrator]. A Settlement Class Member wishing to exclude himself/herself
from the Settlement must send to the Settlement Administrator a signed letter
including (1) the name of the lawsuit; (2) his/her full name, current address and
telephone number; (3) the model year and make of his or her vehicle(s) and
approximate date(s) of purchase or lease; (4) whether the Settlement Class
Member still owns or leases the vehicle(s);
(5) the VIN number of the vehicle(s);
(6) current odometer mileage of the vehicle(s) currently owned or leased; (7) a
specific and clear statement of the Settlement Class Member’s reasons for
objecting to the Settlement, including the factual and legal grounds for his or her
position;
(8) a detailed list of any other objections to any class action settlements
submitted to any court, whether State, Federal, or otherwise, in the United States
in the previous five years; ](9) whether the Settlement Class Member intends to
appear at the Fairness Hearing and whether the Settlement Class Member will be
represented by separate counsel;
and (10) a list of all persons, if any, who will be
called to testify in support of the objection.
The request must be personally signed
by or on behalf of the Settlement Class Member requesting exclusion, and shall
not be effective unless it is made in the manner and within the time set forth in this
paragraph. No Settlement Class Member, or any person acting on behalf or in
concert or participation with that Settlement Class Member, may request the
exclusion of any other Settlement Class Member from the Settlement Class.

Tony, the letter template you posted above may be not good enough. These lawyers are scum leaving out a few details that can invalidate our opt-out on techicalities. Plus, #7 and #8 clearly shows that we can state why we object to this settlement and opt-out at the same time. Something that they conveniently left out in that notice they sent us.

I put in bold things that may need to be added to the letter.

Vuman said:
...Tony, the letter template you posted above may be not good enough. These lawyers are scum leaving out a few details that can invalidate our opt-out on techicalities. Plus, #7 and #8 clearly shows that we can state why we object to this settlement and opt-out at the same time. Something that they conveniently left out in that notice they sent us.

Oh come on! Here's the actual letter I was sent:
ny4c.jpg

I don't give a damn what they posted on the website. This is much ado about nothing.

dgpcolorado said:
Vuman said:
...Tony, the letter template you posted above may be not good enough. These lawyers are scum leaving out a few details that can invalidate our opt-out on techicalities. Plus, #7 and #8 clearly shows that we can state why we object to this settlement and opt-out at the same time. Something that they conveniently left out in that notice they sent us.

Oh come on! Here's the actual letter I was sent:
ny4c.jpg

I don't give a damn what they posted on the website. This is much ado about nothing.

DPG, the document on the website is the actual court document. The letter that we received is a summary from the lawyers. The letter is missing some requirements in the actual court document. There are 10 items required in the court document to opt-out, there are only 7 in the letter. Why couldn't the lawyers state verbatim the requirements? They left out #7 and #8, which affected some who are thinking of staying in the lawsuit just to be able to object to the lawsuit.

mwalsh said:
Can I suggest that nobody do ANYTHING else until my own class-action lawyer gets back with me tomorrow. I've already forwarded him copies of the settlement notice AND the settlement agreement.
batterywarrantymnl

Thanks, Mike! I was about to send my opt out notice today, but I will wait to hear back from you. I would be happy to contribute to any investigation of individual cells, which you mentioned in another thread.

mwalsh said:
Can I suggest that nobody do ANYTHING else until my own class-action lawyer gets back with me tomorrow. I've already forwarded him copies of the settlement notice AND the settlement agreement.
Also waiting. Thank you!

Here's a question: What if owner A opts out of the agreement and them sells the car after three years... Is owner B who buys the used car then held to owner A's opt out for the remainder of the settlement warranty period or can he participate? In other words, is it tied to the individual original owner or to the specific vehicle?

TomT said:
Here's a question: What if owner A opts out of the agreement and them sells the car after three years... Is owner B who buys the used car then held to owner A's opt out for the remainder of the settlement warranty period or can he participate? In other words, is it tied to the individual original owner or to the specific vehicle?
That's what stumped me. Seems like that would not pass muster, which leads me to conclude that the warranty must be attached to the car, rather than to the owner/lessee. Warranties are generally transferable, aren't they?

mwalsh said:

Thanks Mike, could you ask him what all needs to be in a letter to opt-out?

All of you who don't live in TX and AZ -- forgetaboutit. You will never qualify for anything. Warranty or class.

ILETRIC said:
All of you who don't live in TX and AZ -- forgetaboutit. You will never qualify for anything. Warranty or class.
Not true. Weatherman in Florida is on track to qualify for the warranty with:

Predicted End of Life (70% capacity left) - 3.10 years
Mileage at End of Life - 27,230 miles

I imagine there will be some in Florida, Hawaii, Palm Springs and Las Vegas based on their battery aging factors.

Still, Nissan has cleverly structured the warranty such that most will miss it.

Back