Towing a Trailer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pressx2select

So I know with an electric car the more weight the less mileage you get so having a trailer attached with added weight would not be beneficial at all.

With that out of the way, is there anyone who has tried to attach a trailer to their Leaf?

I have a Home Depot less than a mile away from my house and it would be great to have a trailer hitch installed for when we have to get large supplies from there that wont fit inside the car. I know Home Depot does rent out trucks per hour for stuff like this too, but I just thought it'd be neat to see a Leaf with a trailer hitch gettin some work done.

Custom hitch available:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm using mine for hitch style bike rack. Just wouldn't recommend trying to tow tons of cement or compost but since i've put about 300 lbs in bags of dirt in the back of mines you can certainly tow some. The manual says no towing at all but there's a difference between putting a trellis in a trailer and towing a boat.

20130823-093259.jpg

its not plug and play so to speak, but this is what I use for my cars. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/56146.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@palmermd, where did you get the tow hitch? what tow/tongue weight is it rated for? thanks for the link to the powered converter for the brake lights.

also did you do the splicing and wiring yourself or a tow hitch shop handled it? was it difficult to sort out considering the leaf's wiring may be more complex than ICE wiring. thanks for any help you can provide.

Zamallchi said:
also did you do the splicing and wiring yourself or a tow hitch shop handled it? was it difficult to sort out considering the leaf's wiring may be more complex than ICE wiring. thanks for any help you can provide.

Brakes are brakes, but if you are not comfortable, definitely take it to a shop.

thx, I ordered the one from torklift central right after my first post...rated for 2000/200 which is enough for my needs

Back