Question about weeks of parking in the summer heat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

I guess I am wondering if there are any opinions as to gauging the level of detrimental effect on the Li- battery of sitting outside during a very hot summer, even if under covered parking. I guess it would also be of use to know if there are bad effects on the 12 Volt SLI battery, but that seems somewhat less important.

I have found a couple of helpful threads where other drivers were able to lay out their views and experiences, and also the manual's directions, on "long-term" parking. What I haven't found [quite yet] is opinions about parking in the summer heat.

In general, at the local airport, there is an outdoor lot with covered spaces and a valet service that will tend to plugging the vehicle in at L1, per whatever instructions one leaves, and will be responsive by email. However, even though the spots are covered, I still wonder about the effects on the battery of sitting outside for weeks in the Arizona summer.

The other option at the local airport is a full-fledged garage that feels a bit cooler (though it is open to the elements). This garage does not appear to have any L1 plugs (I spent some time looking carefully), nor any valet aspect. It is also about 2x the price of any other parking nearby.

jl

There's been a lot of talk about this, and I don't know if anyone came up with anything definite. But here's my take on it. Having your car sit on a black-top style parking lot will likely be harder on the battery. Not only does the asphalt absorb more energy from the sun, and heat up more, but I suspect it will even conduct over to the asphalt that is underneath your car and release it there. I mean, even here in Texas I have used an infrared thermometer to measure the pavement on a hot Summer day and found that the darker pavement is often around 150 degrees F. Where the lighter color pavement (IE: concrete) is around 130 degrees F. Pavement in the shade all day will actually be just somewhat cooler than ambient temperature. So if it is 105 degrees outside, then the pavement might be 95 to 100 degrees. So I think this is significant. leaving your car on black asphalt during a hot summer day is almost like letting it sit on a frying pan.

One big advantage if you happen to have a chevy volt and parked it in the garage with the L1 charging available, it will run the TMS all day, if necessary, to keep your battery cool.

jlsoaz said:
... The other option at the local airport is a full-fledged garage that feels a bit cooler (though it is open to the elements). This garage does not appear to have any L1 plugs (I spent some time looking carefully), nor any valet aspect. It is also about 2x the price of any other parking nearby.
You might want to measure the temperature under different cars to see if the garage is worth it. If you can store it in a garage that has a swamp cooler that would be best.
Don't charge the car until the day of your return. 30% charge is best for long term storage.
Since your leasing I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The LEAF should charge the 12-volt battery every 5 days if you do not plug it in. I have left mine under covered parking for three weeks at a time more than once. Whenever it will sit for a while, it is at about 60% SOC on the traction battery and I see almost no loss of SOC while I am gone (may lose a mile or two from the GOM). Just drive to the airport, park in the shade, and don't worry about it.

Gerry

If you are really worried about it, and the valet will recharge your LEAF before you return from your trip, you could leave it at a lower SOC. I would vote for 3 to 4 bars, if you can arrange it. The main thing is to park in the shade, possibly at a breezy spot too. There is not much more anyone could do in this scenario, I believe.

I do a lot of airport parking with my Leaf, and my advice if $$ aren't an issue (best is first):
1) park in a garage (any kind of garage)
2) park under a "cover"
3) leave car "unplugged" if you don't want to kill your 12v battery
4) if you have to charge, only do it the day you leave (the one time I had to do this I simply sat in the car for an hour while charging--and listened to music)

In general, it's best to park where the pavement is NOT hot and DON'T charge (unless of course you have to).

I would park it low on charge (2 to 4 bars?) and have the valet plug it in as needed, ~12 hours before your return.
Ask for a center spot so the morning or evening sun is not beating on it.

Ok, thanks everyone, these answers seem very to the point. I still have a hard decision to make because I'd like to do my business at the one place where they provide valet, but that is not the indoor (though open to the air) garage, which sounds like it would be best for protection even though they don't have any valet or even any outlets.

It sounds like it should not be left plugged-in for the duration.

I gather that it's ok, or recommended, for it to be around 4 or 5 bars when I depart on my trip, and then if I want it charged upon my return, it's best to arrange for this either just before my return, or, if necessary, do it myself once I get back (there are no L2's near the airport but there are some about 5-10 miles away).

I'm not sure what method I will follow. I may want to budget to recharge a bit about 15 miles away before I get to the airport since driving there usually leaves me with only about 3 or 4 or 5 at most bars which I think would reduce some of my flexibility (i.e.: cutting it a bit close to leave it in a garage with only 3 bars and no sure-fire immediate access within a few hundred yards to L2 or L1 upon my return, though I think there are a couple of local friendly businesses that I could probably arrange things with depending on time of day and such).

Back