Where is the cabin air filter located? Easy to replace?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

I was browsing the auto parts accessories for my 2012 Leaf on Amazon and saw that compatible cabin air filters sell for between $10 and $24. I'd like to replace my own filter rather than pay the dealership $100 for the labor and filter.

My questions are:
1) Would any/all of the 5 filters listed as compatible on Amazon work for the Leaf? (They are TYC 800138P Nissan Cube Replacement Cabin Air Filter, Wix 24012 Cabin Air Filter, Beck Arnley 042-2187 Cabin Air Filter, NPN ACC Cabin Filter Particulate Filter, and 09-10 NISSAN CUBE CABIN AIR FILTER)
2) Where is the cabin air filter located and how do you swap it out? There is nothing in the manuals about the location of the filter or how to do it.

Thanks.
Grant

Grant said:
I was browsing the auto parts accessories for my 2012 Leaf on Amazon and saw that compatible cabin air filters sell for between $10 and $24. I'd like to replace my own filter rather than pay the dealership $100 for the labor and filter.

My questions are:
1) Would any/all of the 5 filters listed as compatible on Amazon work for the Leaf? (They are TYC 800138P Nissan Cube Replacement Cabin Air Filter, Wix 24012 Cabin Air Filter, Beck Arnley 042-2187 Cabin Air Filter, NPN ACC Cabin Filter Particulate Filter, and 09-10 NISSAN CUBE CABIN AIR FILTER)
2) Where is the cabin air filter located and how do you swap it out? There is nothing in the manuals about the location of the filter or how to do it.

Thanks.

Grant

Here is a do it yourself guide from the SF Bay Leaf club: http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/leaf-cabin-air-filter-replacement/

I just did the 15,000 mile/one year service at the dealer, and the dealer's service tech broke the clip while getting the filter out. They are ordering me a new piece, but the takeaway for me was that this is a tricky clip to get loose. Let us know how you do when doing your own replacement.

If you drop the glove box instead of going through the tiny hole you can unclip the cover without damaging the clip.

Fairwood Red just did a workshop on this at Renton Ikea today. Thanks for that - what a ridiculous design. Pulling the glove box is easier after seeing what they expect you to do through that access hole. I can tell you that I won't be doing that again just for fun - it isn't.

javan said:
I just did the 15,000 mile/one year service at the dealer, and the dealer's service tech broke the clip while getting the filter out. They are ordering me a new piece, but the takeaway for me was that this is a tricky clip to get loose. Let us know how you do when doing your own replacement.

Please let me know if you know the part number of the clip. (I bent my clip) The clip doesn't seem to be listed on the online parts places that I have checked.

myleaf said:
javan said:

Please let me know if you know the part number of the clip. (I bent my clip) The clip doesn't seem to be listed on the online parts places that I have checked.
go to parts.nissanusa.com

myleaf said:

Service manager told me that they had to replace the entire assembly to replace the clip. I'll see if I can get part numbers when they install it.

myleaf said:

Here you go. Part number is 27276-1FCOA and list price was $11.82 It's normally a special order part at my local dealer, but I found a nearby dealer that happened to have one on the shelf.

I just happened to buy a replacement for mine on Friday. Turns out that Stadium Nissan cracked my clip when they replaced my cabin filter last year. They also did not make sure the filter expanded again when they put it in and I only had about 1 inch of filter facing the incoming air :( I'd have gone back to have them make it right, but they went under.

IMG_1788_zpsf7022c7d.jpg

FairwoodRed, Thanks for the part number.

FairwoodRed said:
myleaf said:

Here you go. Part number is 27276-1FCOA and list price was $11.82 It's normally a special order part at my local dealer, but I found a nearby dealer that happened to have one on the shelf.

I just happened to buy a replacement for mine on Friday. Turns out that Stadium Nissan cracked my clip when they replaced my cabin filter last year. They also did not make sure the filter expanded again when they put it in and I only had about 1 inch of filter facing the incoming air :( I'd have gone back to have them make it right, but they went under.

IMG_1788_zpsf7022c7d.jpg

dndrich said:
Here is a do it yourself guide from the SF Bay Leaf club: http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/leaf-cabin-air-filter-replacement/

That worked for me, thanks!

I replaced my cabin filter this morning, looked like the original was still in there, at 22600 miles it was pretty dirty. Filter itself cost me 8.00 on ebay, same part number. Was very careful with the bottom clip of the white filter assembly cover, not only is it hard to get too but I used a very small tweaker screw driver to separate the bottom clip apart a little and it popped right off. I also added the dental floss to the edge of the clip for future removals.

Removing the whole glove box is the way to go. Under the Glove Box door, underneath is a plastic bracket which is held by 4 clips, just prying it apart downward and away from the Glove Box to remove it. Then 4 phillips screws under the glove box facing front and 6 screws inside the glove box door and then slide forward. The job is a pain to do when it comes to removing the filter cover which is white and trying not to break off the bottom clip and removing and replacing the filter itself. The filter itself has a small handle you can grab with to help pull out. Compress the new filter in a C shape and slide it in.

At around $8. on ebay, I will replace this annually starting in Oct of next year. Will see how bad it looks in Oct.

Good Luck with yours.

Fred

^ Did mine today, in the same way as the previous poster.

I had the dealer do one at 12k/12m, when we had no clue what to look for in terms of a replacement (I now realize it's the same as the one in the Cube for sure, and probably other Nissans too), and it cost around $70 with the labor (which I find a little high, if I'm honest).

I skipped it entirely at 24k/24m, after seeing that at 12k/12m it really didn't need doing, and just this last week it started to smell a little musty in the car of a morning. So I'd say that, in our neck of the woods, the ideal replacement window is probably between 20 and 24 months.

I had the dealer install mine while they did the annual battery check and fix a leaking tire. Dealer didn't charge me to install the filter (I provided the filter). Only charged me $30 dollars for the leaky tire. It might help that I had the service done where I bought the car.

Just replaced mine. I actually found it pretty easy to pop off the bottom clip with a short screwdriver by inserting to the side of the clip and twisting it off the locking tab.

The cover is black instead of white on the 2013s.

Or do it this way and pretty much eliminate the possibility of breaking or damaging the bottom tab:

http://rcbullock.blogspot.com/2014/03/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ilter.html

No twist ties, etc. needed.

Back