Two Years, 76,000 miles, 12 bars and 232 GID (now 11 bars)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorSFGuy

That about sums it up. Still doing the same commute - 63 miles or so depending on the route. Charging to 100% at least twice a day. I'm now using QC once a day if not more. Two year battery check was 5 stars. Seats are dirty, tires are getting worn. No point in doing rotation at this point. Expect to change them out at the end of the summer. Carwings still flaky at best. Just like battery replacement cost, no word from Nissan of what that will cost us after year 3.

Had to replace the power window switch which thanks to FairwoodRed I was able to do myself.

My Columbia battery heated jacket was recalled due to burn concerns so I am back to square one again come the winter.

I looked at a new loaded 2013 and kinda liked it. But I will wait to see what Infinity brings or perhaps a used Tesla priced at about 40% of new after 3 years.

If there is something else I can tell you, let me know.

UPDATE: June 1 - I lost first bar last night at 78,600 miles.

Thanks! That's too bad you have to QC as part of your commute now. :( That's interesting that you still have all your capacity bars. And, yeah, I'm beginning to wonder what's up w/the lack of battery price now. I'd start a poll for people to make guesses as to when Nissan will release the price, but can't since I'm not a paying member. :(

I suppose you could get a Rav4 EV shipped to you and you'll be the guinea pig for probably quickly being the highest mileage Rav4 EV. :)

TaylorSFGuy said:
perhaps a used Tesla priced at about 40% of new after 3 years
That's my favored upgrade path, except that I'd keep the LEAF as a second car. Also, I'm not counting on the Tesla S to depreciate by 60% in 3 years, though I'm not saying it couldn't happen.

cwerdna said:
Thanks! That's too bad you have to QC as part of your commute now. :( That's interesting that you still have all your capacity bars. And, yeah, I'm beginning to wonder what's up w/the lack of battery price now. I'd start a poll for people to make guesses as to when Nissan will release the price, but can't since I'm not a paying member. :(

I suppose you could get a Rav4 EV shipped to you and you'll be the guinea pig for probably quickly being the highest mileage Rav4 EV. :)

Well, you could do the complete 126 mile round trip with a Rav4. The typical range with no heater is 3.4 miles per kWh * 41.8kWh usable = 142 miles range at 65mph (level dry road, no wind, no heater).

As the battery degrades, you would need to either charge at work or slow down. If you run the heater, or the battery is cold and the TMS is heating it, you'll also need to slow down or charge at work. The same issues with the cabin heater apply, since it uses exactly the same Denso 6kW resistance heater as the LEAF (except 2013 "SL" and "SV" models which have a heat pump).

There is no quick charger on the Rav4, but it will charge at 28 miles per hour at 40 amps on 240 volts. You can go drive any 2007-2012 oil burner Rav4 to get an idea of the car itself. There are very few changes for the EV version. Also, there are several Rav4 EV's in western Washington.

Some big pluses; you can precondition the battery so that the battery is warmed up for your winter trips, virtually eliminating winter battery losses. It comes with all season tires, and great ground clearance for snow. It has more power, size, acceleration and range than a LEAF.

Currently, prices are $51k, minus $10k from Toyota with 0%, plus $7500 fed tax credit, plus up to $4000 dealer discount, plus no sales tax in Washinton.

Net price with shipping to your house is about $30k.

http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until June 3, 2013:

Applies to 2012 model year RAV4 EV only.

No current offer for 2013 model year Rav4 EV on the website, however it is believed now that there is $9,500 SoCal / $8,800 NorCal and 0% available.

The only differences in 2013 model year is a higher window sticker price, and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has a "D" the replaces the "C" in the 8th digit from the right. You will find the VIN through the front window, looking from the outside on the driver's side, at the bottom.

I do not expect that there will be many 2012 model year cars available after April 30, 2013.

0.0% APR for 60 months

PLUS $10,000 SoCal / $9,300 NorCal Finance Cash from Toyota (they call it "subvention", so you still pay sales tax on it in California... your jurisdiction may vary)

Includes Toyota Care, Free maintenance for 2 years.

$2000 - $4000 typical dealers discounts (the dealers are getting 2% "holdback", and the salesperson gets $1000 from Toyota USA and the sales manager get $500... don't worry about hammering them on a good deal)

$7500 federal tax credit purchase ONLY !!! (NOTE: Toyota does not pass this credit to you on a lease - CAVEAT EMPTOR). You get this when you file IRS form 8936 with your federal taxes. No carryovers to the following tax year, so you need to owe the IRS at least $7500 this year.

$2500 California state credit for lease or purchase; Apply here. Obviously, out-of-state buyers don't get this, but instead you will get your state or local government incentives.

Sales tax - on an "in-state" purchase, you pay the applicable tax for your county/city. For an in state lease, you pay a "use tax" on the monthly payment. For out-of-state, you pay nothing to California with a proper Bill of Laden from a shipping company. DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY IN CALIFORNIA unless you want to pay our taxes!!! You will pay applicable taxes in your out-of-state jurisdiction. There's a whole thread devoted to out-of-state purchases and leases.

NOTE TO ALL OUT OF STATE BUYERS:

I recommend having a local California current Rav4 EV owner test drive your car at the dealer before shipping to you out of state. My particular car had excessive motor noise from new, so it will be easy to identify the same situation before the car is shipped to you.

IF YOUR CAR IS DELIVERED WITHOUT FUNCTIONING INTERIOR LIGHTS:

A pin is located in the engine bay passenger side fuse box to activate the lights. Inside that fuse box, there is a white "fuse" without any number and that is the "pin". Under the fuse cover, there is a location labeled "short". Put the "pin" into the "short" slot and interior function like light, garage door opener, external door handle switch will be activated.

TaylorSFGuy said:
...If there is something else I can tell you, let me know.

Can you report what charge your LEAF battery now takes from the wall from VLBW, to "80%" by time, or even better, metered to "100%", at a given battery temperature, and post it, as others have done here?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876&start=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While hot climate LEAF's tendency to over-report battery capacity loss by both gid count and capacity bars has been widely reported, and acknowledged by Nissan as "pessimistic gauges", IMO, we still don't know if cool climate LEAFs gid counts and capacity bar losses (when they occur, will) report capacity (relatively) accurately, or if your LEAF may indicate that one or both of these capacity indicators may be overly "optimistic".

Some of us changed them simply because we wanted something that was safer, more robust and performed better, not because they were worn... I would have swapped the Ecopias even if they were made of some magic compound that never wore out... :lol:

And if every Leaf sold was in the state of Washington, I don't think there'd be any discussions of TMS, battery life, degradation or replacement costs here... Location, location, location! It is odd that he is still at 12 bars with 232 Gids, however... I lost my 12th bar long before hitting 232.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I still think its amazing to have 76,000 miles on tires that most here cant get 30,000 from

edatoakrun said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
...If there is something else I can tell you, let me know.

Can you report what charge your LEAF battery now takes from the wall from VLBW, to "80%" by time, or even better, metered to "100%", at a given battery temperature, and post it, as others have done here?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876&start=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While hot climate LEAF's tendency to over-report battery capacity loss by both gid count and capacity bars has been widely reported, and acknowledged by Nissan as "pessimistic gauges", IMO, we still don't know if cool climate LEAFs gid counts and capacity bar losses (when they occur, will) report capacity (relatively) accurately, or if your LEAF may indicate that one or both of these capacity indicators may be overly "optimistic".

the current weather is probably depressing his values but only by 3-6 GID. should have a better line from the next 2-3 days

TomT said:
Some of us changed them simply because we wanted something that was safer, more robust and performed better, not because they were worn... I would have swapped the Ecopias even if they were made of some magic compound that never wore out... :lol:

And if every Leaf sold was in the state of Washington, I don't think there'd be any discussions of TMS, battery life, degradation or replacement costs here... Location, location, location! It is odd that he is still at 12 bars with 232 Gids, however... I lost my 12th bar long before hitting 232.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I still think its amazing to have 76,000 miles on tires that most here cant get 30,000 from

ya the 12th bar is weird. I thought for sure he would have lost it last week when we had our foray of temps into the 80's. I guess maybe not quite hot enough (although it rarely gets hotter even in the middle of Summer) or maybe the hot weather did not last long enough?

I venture to say the bar is already gone but only lit up due to the cooler weather. it will be gone in early July (the time we usually see temps in the 80's!)

Lost one bar at 227 GID and 83.87% battery capacity indicated on Turbo3's Leaf Battery app. Only have 35,000 miles on the LEAF, so your Leaf is doing much better than mine. It may be due to the hotter temps in the valley. Charged 100% twice a day on a 126 mile roundtrip commute.

Bassman said:
Lost one bar at 227 GID and 83.87% battery capacity indicated on Turbo3's Leaf Battery app. Only have 35,000 miles on the LEAF, so your Leaf is doing much better than mine. It may be due to the hotter temps in the valley. Charged 100% twice a day on a 126 mile roundtrip commute.

his commute is nearly identical to yours for distance and charging (another lucky guy whose employer put in charging!) . now if I remember correctly, you have some elevation changes ? his is not too bad. a steep hill near his house but a short one (3-4 miles?) and elevation changes of less than 1000 feet I think

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing how long the rest of you ownership experience is w/ that Leaf.

TaylorSFGuy said:
If there is something else I can tell you, let me know.
On your battery temp gauge, how many bars does it show on a typical day ?
Any advice for those of us in warmer climates on how to maximize battery life ( Other than moving to Kent WA ) ?

KJD said:
Any advice for those of us in warmer climates on how to maximize battery life ( Other than moving to Kent WA ) ?

In winter - rarely 3 moving to 4 by time I get to work but usually 4 when I start. Currently (when temps above 50) I would say it starts and holds at 5. Throw in QC and it goes to 6. Just a couple times last summer at 7.

If it is already at 5 or 6 then I keep the top end of QC down to 70% and hit another one, rather than pushing to 80/90% and only charging once.

DaveinOlyWA said:
There can be HUGE variance in tire life depending on the condition of the roads one drives on. I remember a car book AGES ago (before web browsers) had a map and shaded different regions of the US for how long they expected tires to last.

I think it helps the OP is likely doing almost all highway driving and doing little in the way of changing directions and speed.

2 fas 4 u had 161K miles on his original tires on his Prius v wagon (http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-v-100-000-mile-club.102769/page-6#post-1755817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). But then again, he was kinda nuts racking up 465K miles on his 09 Prius before trading it in for a Prius v wagon around January 2012.

TomT said:

DaveinOlyWA said:

Not odd at all. 232 Gids is 83% so he will most likely lose his first bar around 81%. Not one that I had tested, including mine lost a CB at 83%. They were all 80-81% when they lost the first bar.

TaylorSFGuy said:
KJD said:
In winter - rarely 3 moving to 4 by time I get to work but usually 4 when I start. Currently (when temps above 50) I would say it starts and holds at 5. Throw in QC and it goes to 6. Just a couple times last summer at 7.
If it is already at 5 or 6 then I keep the top end of QC down to 70% and hit another one, rather than pushing to 80/90% and only charging once.
Thank you for the info.

What change would you like to see most in a future LEAF model that your 2011 does not have ?

Steve: What was your total cost of ownership till now - adding electricity charges + any service / repair charges ? - thank you

You know how EVs are being touted as something with a total cost ownership much less than ICEV, and I am guessing Taylor is a good case study. If you had been driving a gas guzzler at 25miles to a gallon and at $3.50 per gallon, that is 3040 gallons not used or $10,640 dollars saved. If you add oil changes and other regular maintenance/service expenses I am guessing easily around $9000 saved over 76K miles. That savings in itself pays for a new battery and some more !

Thanks for the report.

A colleague of mine just leased a LEAF. He plans to go way over the mileage because his commute is 65 highway miles each way with elevation changes. He charges to 100% at home and at work.

Back