P1273 software update ruined my car. Your opinion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has my car been ruined?

• No, the apparent loss you see now is coincidental and normal

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No, your Gidometer was reading incorrectly high before

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the updated software is limiting charge

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the new battery control unit is limiting charge

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Yes, the new battery control unit has damaged the pack

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes, leaving your battery pack sitting fully charged for 4 days has damaged the pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
As you may know, if you've read the Software Update thread, I've been perceiving some issues with my car since it was updated (against my express wishes, I might add) with the P1273 VCM update. Since I wasn't getting very much traction posting to that particular thread, and since I do need your interaction and advice, I opted for a new thread. Hope that's OK with everyone? And its here in the General Forum rather than in Troubleshooting because you can't do a poll over there.

Anyhow, back to issue...

First off...why did I not want that particular update? Because after 2 years of driving my LEAF, I liked the fuel gauge just the way it came from the factory, thank you very much. And I know there are many of you still out there who feel exactly the same way.

At some point during the service work the dealership was supposed to do, the battery control unit on my pack also became inoperable and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, before that happened, they'd just finished fully charging my pack.

In themselves, the first of those two things wouldn't be so bad - I was fully anticipating the change in fuel bar behavior with the update, and I also expected that the replaced part would function just as the old part did (I even quietly hoped it would be better). I was, however, pretty miffed about my pack sitting fully charged for what turned out to be 4 days - I would NEVER do that to my battery. In addition, I did at first fear all was not well with the new battery control unit - my car smelled very "electrical" when I first got it back (though that smell is now, for the most part, gone).

However, since getting my car back I actually do appear to have a somewhat significant loss of useable range. And I'm not talking about it being there in the now hidden fuel bars. I'm talking about it being gone. Period. And my Gidometer now reads just 225 gids after every full charge, instead of the ~250 gids I was seeing immediately before. This in itself would indicate a loss of ~8 miles, if you accept the figure of approximately 3 gids per mile.

BTW, if you call Nissan to complain of something being "wrong" with your car with respect to charging or battery capacity, be prepared that they won't entertain the gid as a valid unit of measurement in evaluating the condition of your pack, despite it being the most useful instrumentation we currently have in the car. In fact, the chap I spoke to about my issue seemed somewhat exasperated when I brought the Gidometer up in conversation, even though he admitted to knowing about gids. No, the only thing they'll accept as evidence of a possible problem is a) loss of capacity bars or b) perceived loss of range/autonomy.

So with that fully understood, I did say that I was now experiencing a loss of autonomy and was into Low Battery Warning territory every day of my commute, instead of getting home with the comfortable amount of range above it I'd experienced previously. And this was now with VERY conservative driving...anything else being a virtual impossibility.

Anyway, I opened a ticket with Nissan customer service and also wrote some of my Nissan contacts to apprise them of the situation. I expressed a desire to have my car evaluated as a first move, just to make sure it's systems were functioning properly. It'll probably be next Tuesday before I hear anything further on that.

I also decided that I needed more supporting evidence to take forward, and set out to do a range test this morning, duplicating a test I performed in late November/early December. This test would be almost all of the usual 61 mile round-trip between home and my office (I cut off the surface streets at the office end and jumped right back on the highway instead), with a further 15 miles tagged on for good measure. Total distance would be 75 miles and should have me at Mitsubishi's HQ and their DC Quick Charger somewhere into VLBW, very much in line with what Tony's range chart tells us.

For this run, however, since I now had no clue just how far my LEAF could travel, I planned jump-off points where I knew chargers were at various places during that last 15 miles.

My fuel economy seemed down some for the run, from the 4.4 Miles/kWh I'm used to seeing to 3.9 Miles/kW. I attributed much of this to the colder morning weather and the more consistent speeds that came with using cruise control the whole way. I hit LBW at 50.4 miles; VLBW at 56.5 miles; and Turtled at 63.2 miles. Tony's chart (which I tend to believe) tell us that with 250 gids I should have been able to drive 72+ miles with 3.9 Miles/kWh efficiency, minus 5% for the lower temps, or 69 miles. However, it also tells us that with around 220 gids; 3.9 Miles/kWh efficiency; and 5% off for low temps, I'd be looking at 63 miles. So there you have it...I really do appear to only have 225 gids to work with now.

BTW, this is the first time I'd been to Turtle. I liked it not!

Last week, with a warmer day and some traffic to hold speeds down on the afternoon leg of my commute, I hit LBW at 61 miles, just as I was rolling into my driveway. And I guess I would have expected Turtle at ~74 miles on that occasion, with 4.4 Miles/kWh, given what I saw today. Again, very much in line with what Tony's chart tells us. However, this is still down on what I saw in a few months ago when I successfully rolled into Mitsubishi's lot.

So the questions are...well, as outlined in the poll really. But I would also like to know specifically from those of you with gidometers who had them before P1273 and still used it after -- did you see a significant loss of gids immediately following getting the update done? Because, to me, even if Nissan doesn't want to accept it, this is what I consider the most compelling evidence that all is not well.

BTW, if you haven't gotten the P1273 software update yet, DON'T DO IT! Don't even chance it that the dealer won't do software updates if you ask them not to. Trust me that I wish I'd never agreed to any. In fact, I would avoid dealer servicing like the plague except for the annual battery check. Go someplace where they've never heard of Consult!

I'm thinking it has to be the new LBC. I don't think the VCM actually controls the charge cycle or when car shuts down, just the bars and warnings. I also don't think that a single 100% charge episode would cause so dramatic a decline.

Another reason we need Nissan to finish their development on the new battery controller. Supposedly they are working on this based on the data from the Arizona cars. Software updates so far have only made the car feel worse as you noted. I saw this with the update over a year ago that you somehow avoided.

Really disturbing. How on earth did they "break" the LBC?!?

Letting the battery sit at 100% for 4 days, especially in the colder weather, is not a problem. You'd not be able to even notice or measure any change in capacity because of that.

The LBC may need some time, maybe even over 10 or so, complete cycles before it re-learns your correct pack capacity. This means you'd need to do full charge/discharge cycles, and it doesn't sound as though you do that often.

It's also possible that your "new" LBC has a more conservative algorithm than your original unit.

-Phil

My guess is that the new software thinks you have less Gids available on a full charge than the old. That's a surprise to me, because I haven't heard that the software update effected the way Gids are calculated. I figured it was just how the fuel bars were shown. I still get 256 Gids on a full charge (=91.1%) which seems pretty reasonable to me after 19 months given that calendar losses are expected to be highest in the first year. I would be pissed if I suddenly lost 25 Gids, especially because the Gids you have now don't seem to be any "stronger" than the Gids you had with the old software, thus affecting your range.

Sorry to hear of your sudden range loss!!

My LEAF was manufactured after yours, with the "new bars". Its gid count started dropping shortly after my April 2012 battery check appointment at which a firmware update was applied, but I've attributed that drop to the increased exposure to high temperatures associated with me starting a job down the mountain. I have until this April to decide whether or not to request (or authorize) another firmware update...

I still have the original firmware in the LEAF.

Of those who got the updated firmware, there have not
been stories of changed GIDs, as far as I know.

Many with the updated firmware reported 280 or
281 GIDs, I believe. Nothing noticeably different.

However, you got the firmware update, AND a replaced
Lithium Battery Controller, right?

not sure i understand why the LBC has to learn anything. would that not make it possible that some are losing range due to the LBC's inability to read the pack correctly?

or does the LBC have to constantly learn the changing capacity

palmermd said:
Another reason we need Nissan to finish their development on the new battery controller. Supposedly they are working on this based on the data from the Arizona cars. Software updates so far have only made the car feel worse as you noted. I saw this with the update over a year ago that you somehow avoided.

Yes, I agree. It's not so much that it's ruined the car, but it's ruined the ownership experience.

I got the firmware updated soon after it became available. I didn't experience any range loss (I built my gid meter after a couple of months of the update and I could get upto 280).

Interesting development. See my post from this morning at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd annual service was done yesterday, and under item "A" it states
Code:
Perform Recall PC1273 LEAF VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014.  
Cause: Perform Recall
30373 Perform Recall Reprogrammed 3 Control Units

This morning's 245 Gid Reading was, of course, :oops: taken right after this PC1273, since I just borrowed the Gid meter yesterday; so unfortunately no Gid data since November. Note that the "Giddy Week" readings from Nov still hovered in the area of 254-262. However, apparent range loss appeared prior to this PC1273 (in the last few weeks).

evnow said:
I got the firmware updated soon after it became available. I didn't experience any range loss (I built my gid meter after a couple of months of the update and I could get upto 280).

same here. hit 280 dozens of times, 281 a half dozen times. as far as range loss? really did not have a good grasp of my complete range in the early days other than I was never stranded and never hit turtle unless i had intended to

Ingineer said:
The LBC may need some time, maybe even over 10 or so, complete cycles before it re-learns your correct pack capacity. This means you'd need to do full charge/discharge cycles, and it doesn't sound as though you do that often.

It's also possible that your "new" LBC has a more conservative algorithm than your original unit.

-Phil
+1. It makes perfect sense to me that the controller needs to see complete or nearly complete cycles to learn the correct pack capacity. It needs to keep an updated table of voltage vs coulombs in/out, and it can't update the table for portions of the charge cycle that it hasn't visited.

Presumably a Gid is still supposed to be 80 watt-hours. If the new programming has intentionally been changed to reduce capacity (and presumably slow capacity degradation), I would think you could confirm that in the following way: use the Gid meter to measure the idle voltage at 100% charge. If it shows less than the normal 100% voltage, then that would convince me they have, in fact, programmed in a reduction in capacity. If the 100% idle voltage is normal, it is possible they have reduced the capacity by raising the 0% idle voltage, but I personally would not go below VLBW to check this.

Your poll seems to be missing the option I would choose: The loss shown on my Gid meter at 100% charge is real because my idle voltage at 100% is normal. The voltage defines the upper limit of the battery irrespective of the Gid software.

BTW during the last week, as our local Los Angeles temperatures have swung from below normal to above normal, my Gid meter reading at 100% charge has declined again from 91% to 89%. There seems to be both permanent and temporary components to the measured loss. I attribute this to the mysteries of the battery chemistry, not to flaws in the software.

I had P1273 performed on 11 Apr 2012, and did not see any abrupt change in Gids at full or 80% charge.

Prior to the s/w update, my Gids at full charge were typically 281, with occasional drops to as low as 269, but then a return to 280 or 281 soon after.

In the month of April 2012, my full charge Gids were 281 almost every day prior to the s/w update, and then after the update the full charge Gids for the following 10 days were: 279, 281, 280, 280, 278, 280, 279, 275, 270, 281.

So I didn't record any drop in Gids within the time period after the update.

I did, however, begin to see a drop in Gids the following month. May 4, 2012 was my last 281 reading, never to be seen again... :(. Though I did see 278 three times and 279 twice during the following week. This was consistent in time with reports from others such as garygid and tbleakne of dropping Gid readings and we guessed that this might be temperature dependent.

mwalsh said:
As you may know, if you've read the Software Update thread, I've been perceiving some issues with my car since it was updated (against my express wishes, I might add) with the P1273 VCM update.
IMO - once you figure out why you're seeing 392V instead of the 393.5V you used to get on a 100% charge you'll probably get your range back...

mwalsh said:
Yes, I agree. It's not so much that it's ruined the car, but it's ruined the ownership experience.
Mike, I missed this thread. Sorry to hear this, let's hope that Nissan will get your car fixed up.

drees said:
IMO - once you figure out why you're seeing 392V instead of the 393.5V you used to get on a 100% charge you'll probably get your range back...
That's an interesting observation. If I remember correctly the difference between 80% and a full charge was only about 4.8V on the pack level. That's about 3% difference in usable capacity per Volt.

Oh, wow! I think you guys have nailed it. See, I knew getting a larger cross-section of you involved would provide the answer. :D

Yes, I had forgotten that the difference between 80% and 100% of pack voltage was 2v. And that falls absolutely in line with what the Gidometer is stubbornly telling me each morning, as it displays 79/80% of Gids. I said that the Gidometer was the most valuable piece of instrumentation in the LEAF, despite Nissan pooh-poohing it. But, really, can there be any doubt? Where else are you going to get pack voltage? The dealership? Don't make me laugh!

BTW, who all checked "coincidental and normal" in the poll? Seriously? A loss of 30 gids over two years may be normal. A loss of 25 over a long weekend...? Again I have to ask...SERIOUSLY? :lol:

So assuming that there is general agreement that, for whatever reason, my car is now only charging to 80%, it's REAL interesting to look back at the "Joining the 80% Club" thread from January 2011. And I think it's worth a read...the whole thing. But I'll start you here, at the end of my 80% journey on that one day:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2265&start=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first thing to jump out at me is how young and innocent/naive we all were. Only a few of us had cars at the time, and there was still a lot of guessing and supposition going on.

But the second thing to notice is that, even though this is two years ago (almost to the day!), the results of a careful drive from 80% charged back then pretty much mirror the one from last week. Not the fairly disastrous test from yesterday, but the one from earlier in the week where I got to LBW at 61 miles. In fact, it's almost exact, EXCEPT for ECO now vs. D then. I've said for months now that my car appeared to have pack degradation to the tune of whatever the difference was between D and ECO (did we all agree that was 10%?). And this result pretty much reinforces that belief. Which is actually pretty good news!

Hey, you know...I'm feeling much better about life. :D Still want my car fixed though. ;)

Is there a list of the updates, and the order that they
should be applied, and their main characteristics,
original date, their NTB, and P numbers?

I still have the original firmware, from before 2011 earthquake.

Here is a start:
1. 2011 - HV leakage test modified, 12 Bars became 13.5 with 1.5 hidden.
2. NTB11-041a - Telecom - try to reconnect in low-signal areas.
3. 2012 - Open-Door chime when in Ready mode.
4. Grabby Brakes and Unintended Sudden Stop events reduced.

garygid said:
Is there a list of the updates, and the order that they
should be applied, and their main characteristics,
original date, their NSB, and P numbers?

I still have the original firmware, from before 2011 earthquake.

Here is a start:
1. 2011 - HV leakage test modified, 12 Bars became 13.5 with 1.5 hidden.
2. Telecom - try to reconnect in low-signal areas.
3. 2012 - Open-Door chime when in Ready mode.
4. Grabby Brakes and Unintended Sudden Stop events reduced.

this is easier.... http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back