How's your 12v battery health?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
In light of a couple of posts about dead 12v batteries over the holidays, and the greater consequences of a dead one for us over the driver of an ICE vehicle, I decided to check mine today, since I had the hood and hatch open anyway and my voltmeter was sitting there goading me.

After 2 years of use my battery shows 11.7v, which seems a bit low. Or at least I'd be concerned about it if it had to start an ICE. How is yours doiing?

Figured I would give you one for comparison. My car was built in August of 2011 so the battery is 1 year 4 months old. Li battery was charged last night and sitting at 50% after driving it around today. Measured 12.19v on the underhood battery. Is only 45F here in Virginia though. I know a lot of the places these batteries are draining in are colder than that. Some people seeing 0F.

hmmm, it would appear that the lead acid battery is taking on a much greater role in the LEAF with the monitoring that is does for Carwings and whatever else and that the amount of time devoted to recharging the battery on startup is not sufficient to bring it back to near 100% SOC where most lead acid batteries need to be most of the time.

another issue is that some people who dont drive often will probably see the battery draining to a much lower level or even people who do a single commute and it sits parked the rest of the time plugged into an EVSE but on a charge timer.

My LEAF generally makes shorter commute trips, lots of short errand runs, etc. now, its only been home less than one hour and it has NEVER been on a timer charge so the reading i provide is probably higher than normal but

12.27 volts

12.38V 8 months since manufacturing 3 months of ownership, driven 137 miles yesterday (some in snow and 25F ), charged to 80% and driven 10 miles today.

12.07V 20 months since manufacturing, 18 months of ownership, not driven for a couple days, charged early in the day to 80%

another battery bites the dust. this time only sat for 4 days

http://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/518634581501317/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caracalover said:
May be a stupid question, but do you all have the solar panel? Do you think it helps with this?

in the PNW??? lol!! funny, real funny!

actually it might if it were parked outside more... the solar panel is supposed to trickle charge the 12 volt battery but not that many park it outside for extended periods... its not like LAX has skylights in their parking lots

DaveinOlyWA said:
another battery bites the dust. this time only sat for 4 days

http://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/518634581501317/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see one of the commenters there says:

"it really has to do with Carwings putting a serious load on the 12 volt battery and lead acid not wanting to discharge more than it has to. in a regular car, the 12 volt battery is kept near 100% SOC nearly all the time. its only real use is when it starts a car and then its immediately recharged back to 100%. the LEAF battery is different in that most of its use is WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED OFF. if you use charge timing, then carwings is in a state of high readiness which is an increased draw on the battery and will kill a nrew battery in about a week."

Is this true (that Carwings is the culprit)? Are there things I should be doing to keep my 12 volt battery in good shape?

mwalsh said:
In light of a couple of posts about dead 12v batteries over the holidays, and the greater consequences of a dead one for us over the driver of an ICE vehicle, I decided to check mine today, since I had the hood and hatch open anyway and my voltmeter was sitting there goading me.

After 2 years of use my battery shows 11.7v, which seems a bit low. Or at least I'd be concerned about it if it had to start an ICE. How is yours doiing?

Can we take a reading using a voltmeter while all the terminal connectors are still on? or do we have to remove them for an accurate Volt reading?

Plugged-in, finished charging to 80% about 18 hours ago. Temperature 48F. 11.67V. Of course a load test is more revealing of capacity but this is a rather low resting voltage.

I'd bought an AGM "solar storage" (sun-xtender pvx 420T) battery early this summer but couldn't quite get the LEAF's cables to reach the terminal positions and didn't want to modify the car (lease). Might rethink that one...

Caracalover said:
May be a stupid question, but do you all have the solar panel? Do you think it helps with this?
Not in my case. The car probably spends more time in the garage than out in the daylight. The panel does serve as a conversation starter at times - what's that?

SL Car/12 volt battery bought 1 1/2 year ago. Driven almost 17,000 miles.

Plugged car in (in garage) on New Year's Eve and Charged car to 80%. Did not drive anywhere on New Year's Day and left car plugged in. (No additional charging occurred that night- was also set for 80%). Normally drive car everyday, but not New Years Day so sat OFF for one day in garage.

Early Wednesday morning (garage about 45 F cool) made the following measurements:

Opened car door to pop hood and measure 12-volt battery voltage (door open lights went on briefly then off). Measured 11.89 V. Left car hood open for future measurements.

Next checked main battery status with CARWINGS, then a minute or two later measured 12 volt battery at 11.93 V.

Next left door open with door lights on and measured 11.73 V. Closed door and measured 11.87 V.

Next turned car auxillary on and radio on (closed door) and measured 11.53 V :eek:

Next car on auxiliary and radio off. 11.55 V. (Noticed CARWINGS was downloading something)

Next turned Car auxiliary off, but still humming 11.81 V. After humming stopped, 11.88 V.

Finally turned car ON a minute and measured 14.10 V (with car charging 12 V battery)

Not happy resting voltage was below 12 volts at beginning (11.89 V) - getting ready to go bad? Was CARWINGS draining? Just getting old? Cold weather?

ebill3 said:
Caracalover said:
Not in my case. The car probably spends more time in the garage than out in the daylight. The panel does serve as a conversation starter at times - what's that?
I usually park outside in the sun for 10+ hours a day, so perhaps for me that was a good option. Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a trickle charger to the 12V that pulls power from the wall, instead of the main battery pack. Might add a few dollars to the overall cost, but if this is a problem for too many people, it should be considered. I liken it to charging a cell phone from the Leaf. You can do it, but it is not as efficient as just charging it at home.

I hope to create an add-on to the GID-Meter that will
measure the 12v battery voltage, and updated firmware
to display the value, but not sure how accurate I can get it.

But, it should be a useful addition.

lkkms2 said:
SL Car/12 volt battery bought 1 1/2 year ago. Driven almost 17,000 miles.

Plugged car in (in garage) on New Year's Eve and Charged car to 80%. Did not drive anywhere on New Year's Day and left car plugged in. (No additional charging occurred that night- was also set for 80%). Normally drive car everyday, but not New Years Day so sat OFF for one day in garage.

Early Wednesday morning (garage about 45 F cool) made the following measurements:

Opened car door to pop hood and measure 12-volt battery voltage (door open lights went on briefly then off). Measured 11.89 V. Left car hood open for future measurements.

Next checked main battery status with CARWINGS, then a minute or two later measured 12 volt battery at 11.93 V.

Next left door open with door lights on and measured 11.73 V. Closed door and measured 11.87 V.

Next turned car auxillary on and radio on (closed door) and measured 11.53 V :eek:

Next car on auxiliary and radio off. 11.55 V. (Noticed CARWINGS was downloading something)

Next turned Car auxiliary off, but still humming 11.81 V. After humming stopped, 11.88 V.

Finally turned car ON a minute and measured 14.10 V (with car charging 12 V battery)

Not happy resting voltage was below 12 volts at beginning (11.89 V) - getting ready to go bad? Was CARWINGS draining? Just getting old? Cold weather?

Imho, your 12V battery is just fine.

I think not. Virtually all but the very bottom of the line models of vehicles these days have numerous electronic and telemetry systems that have to be kept alive just as the Leaf's do. Thus, I see no real difference between a Leaf and an ICE in that regard; they both have drains when left "off."

Stoaty said:
Is this true (that Carwings is the culprit)? Are there things I should be doing to keep my 12 volt battery in good shape?

Back