SV or SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESA1178

We currently own a 2004 Saturn Vue. Sale value of $6000.
Also a 2008 VW Jetta, with $8000 left on the loan (Sale value $12000)
We are considering selling both and getting 2 X Leaf SV on the current $199.00
lease offer. My question is:

Is there any major difference 'tween the SV & SL?

Thanks!

Mark
Sacramento, CA

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/versions-specifications?next=ev_micro.section_nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest feature differences would be the (CHAdeMO) quick charge port and rear view camera. The CHAdeMO port cannot be added to an SV after purchase.

if you dont have quick charge stations around you it might be hard to justify the additional expense but if you are dumping gas completely at least one SL is HIGHLY recommended. Quick charge gives me an additional 30-35 miles of range in 11 minutes. this can change the LEAF from local to regional.

using quick charge for interstate travel is not the real value here.

A bold move, but I suggest selling one gasoline burner, and getting one LEAF. Then, after a month or two with that, consider the next step.

You need to learn all the intricacies of how the car will work for you.

TonyWilliams said:
A bold move, but I suggest selling one gasoline burner, and getting one LEAF. Then, after a month or two with that, consider the next step.

You need to learn all the intricacies of how the car will work for you.

I agree with Tony; If an emergency arises requiring you to suddenly drive 75+ miles, you'll need an ICE. Regarding the SV/SL issue, I have the SL, but have never had a chance to use the Quick Charge, in a year and a half. At the rate QC's are being installed, I'll probably die of old age before I have one conveniently available for my use. :(

Your right about keeping one gas car. We will probably keep the Jetta.
I'm not sure if Nissan has a similar lease offer for the SL, at least I cannot find one..
I live in California....

Thanks!

Mark

ESA1178 said:
Your right about keeping one gas car. We will probably keep the Jetta.
I'm not sure if Nissan has a similar lease offer for the SL, at least I cannot find one..
I live in California....

Thanks!

Mark

i am guessing there is. Nissan would MUCH rather lease you an SL

FWIW we find lease SV+ICE to be a good combination. Initially I was concerned I'd regret not getting the L3 capability, now all the capacity loss worries serve as a reminder that the current Leaf is just a point in time in a technology that will be evolving, and I'm happy to have kept that extra money in reserve for the next thing.

Keep it simple, charge at home, take the gas car when you have to go beyond Leaf range. (Assuming you are a two-car-two-driver household and one of you will be well served on a daily basis with a conservative estimate of Leaf range)

LTLFTcomposite said:
FWIW we find lease SV+ICE to be a good combination. Initially I was concerned I'd regret not getting the L3 capability, now all the capacity loss worries serve as a reminder that the current Leaf is just a point in time in a technology that will be evolving, and I'm happy to have kept that extra money in reserve for the next thing.

Keep it simple, charge at home, take the gas car when you have to go beyond Leaf range. (Assuming you are a two-car-two-driver household and one of you will be well served on a daily basis with a conservative estimate of Leaf range)
My thoughts exactly, and glad I bought an SV. I think there is one L3 charger somewhere in Los Angeles, but I don't know where it is and haven't had occasion to use it. I do take the ICE out about 5 times a year (plus a few weeks in the summer when the temp is really hot to "baby" the Leaf battery).

Get the LEAF and then get the Datsun when it comes out for less than $5000. :lol:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443890304578009284279919750.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

once again its QC or not to QC and I was in the crowd that thought it would be unnecessary until it was here and I was able to try it a few times and that changed me.

but this SV/SL question cannot really be answered until we find out how QC's will charge for their services and that does not appear to be in the very near future.

Blink I have no word on. unlike their L2's where they announced several times several months in advance when they would start billing, their QCs have no projected date that I am aware of.

AV, same story. Now, AV has a pretty good machine. rarely down, used it successfully dozens of times. but they do have some sort of software glitch in their monitoring system that sends me notifications of charges that I am not doing, duplicate charge notifications etc... so guessing until they figure all that out, we will continue to charge for free.

but the one thing I have noticed is that QC'ing is MUCH more convenient if you are lucky enough to be in an area where you have multiple options. the rate in which you get a charge is VERY good at first, but then slows down quite a bit.

i get more range back in the first 11 minutes than i do in the next 19 minutes on a 30 minute charge. so i normally only pop in to charge 10-15 minutes.

if they go to a "$X" per session price structure that would lower the value of QC in my eyes

Not sure about Sacramento, but in the bay area, Ecotality offers free Blink chargers only for the SL model, not SV. Not sure why.

madbrain said:
Not sure about Sacramento, but in the bay area, Ecotality offers free Blink chargers only for the SL model, not SV. Not sure why.
Because the study wanted to see what choices users made amongst home charging, and public L2 and DCQC. If the car doesn't have DCQC, then the user is obviously not going to use it.

davewill said:
madbrain said:
Because the study wanted to see what choices users made amongst home charging, and public L2 and DCQC. If the car doesn't have DCQC, then the user is obviously not going to use it.

How can they tell when you use public 3rd party chargers ? Do they get access to your Carwings data ?

Well, they see you charging on their Blink DCFC unit... and your home L2 unit. That's why they are networked. :) But yes, if you are part of the EV Project... they report driving behavior statistics as well, via the data that is uploaded to Nissan/CARWINGS. It's part of your agreement. But they will have less details when you charge on non-Blink infrastructure.

The 2012 SL vs. SV decision may be moot by now, as there are essentially no 2012 SLs left (at least in the Pacific NW). Yes, you could wait until the 2013s, but you are not going to get the good end-of-year lease deals on the 2013s. I just leased an SL, primarily because of the Quick Charge port (not that I have used it yet). The back-up camera is useful, but by no means a necessity. The spoiler/solar panel is a total joke, although I like the look of it. We looked into possibly leasing an SV (the $199 + $2k down lease offer), but none were available locally, making it an easy decision.

ALF said:
The 2012 SL vs. SV decision may be moot by now, as there are essentially no 2012 SLs left (at least in the Pacific NW). Yes, you could wait until the 2013s, but you are not going to get the good end-of-year lease deals on the 2013s. I just leased an SL, primarily because of the Quick Charge port (not that I have used it yet). The back-up camera is useful, but by no means a necessity. The spoiler/solar panel is a total joke, although I like the look of it. We looked into possibly leasing an SV (the $199 + $2k down lease offer), but none were available locally, making it an easy decision.

There are still lots of SLs available in Southern California. SVs seem to be a bit harder to come by, although there are still some to be found.

I leased an SL, although I wish I had leased an SV instead. I'll never use the quick charge port, I seldom look at the back up camera, and the solar panel is nothing but marketing, although I do use the built in garage door opener transmitter. For the extra $55.00 a month i'm spending for the SL, I can clip one to the visor.

The first place I went to look at the Leafs, the sales manager told me that I really need to get the SL because of the solar panel "range extender". Yes, it's a total joke.

I got switched to an SL against my wishes. I like the backup camera, sometimes use but sometimes swear at the auto headlights, and have done one quick charge in 18 months. I've never touched the buttons on the rear view mirror, don't even know where the switch is for the fog lights (and don't care), and took the cargo cover off the day I got the car home. I too consider the solar panel a joke.

Definitely not worth a $1000 premium for me.

Ray

Back