Low outside temp warning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksnogas2112

pg 2-23
#8 - Low outside temp

Low outside air temperature
The outside air temperature is displayed in *F or 8*C in the range of -20* to 140*F (-30*C to 60*C). The outside air temperature mode includes a low temperature warning feature. If the outside air temperature is below 37*F (3*C), the warning is displayed on the screen.
The outside temperature sensor is located in front side of the vehicle. The sensor may be affected by road, wind directions and other driving conditions. The display may differ from the actual outside temperature or the temperature displayed on various signs of billboards.

<<edit...turned off the alarm in the dashboard alarm settings>>

I find that it goes off at 38ºF. It always amuses me when the low temp warning beeps at me on a clear, cold, sunny, dry morning.

This topic comes up on occasion when new LEAF owners wonder why their car beeps at them while driving. Sometimes turns out that they hit cool temperatures.

the Prius lights up its "snowflake" at 37 º F and there was a lot of speculation as to why but guessing its the temp of black ice and all that. funny though. never needed that snowflake to know it was cold out

DaveinOlyWA said:
the Prius lights up its "snowflake" at 37 º F and there was a lot of speculation as to why but guessing its the temp of black ice and all that. funny though. never needed that snowflake to know it was cold out

As you pointed out, it's not to tell you that it's cold out, it's to warn you there could be icy conditions. Not a trivial distinction...

to put it another way; I am not the type of person who allows the weather to sneak up on me

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

As you pointed out, it's not to tell you that it's cold out, it's to warn you there could be icy conditions. Not a trivial distinction...

DaveinOlyWA said:
to put it another way; I am not the type of person who allows the weather to sneak up on me

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Sadly, there are many who ARE the type of people who don't seem to realize that cold weather can lead to icy roads. In fact, in the next few weeks, I fully expect to see many an SUV upside down in the ditches because somehow, even in Syracuse, people forget how to drive in the winter. And it's always the "invincible" SUV drivers. The cars are always safely stuck to the road.

GetOffYourGas said:
The cars are always safely stuck to the road.
Especially when they have 660 pounds of battery weight under the center. Yes, I have found that the LEAF adheres to our mountain roads relatively well in winter conditions.

Those of us enduring winter see this light on for weeks on end. I really wonder if any single individual has ever avoided an accident because of this reminder. It feels kind of like just a silly thing. I know many cars have it, I have two cars with it now. It's barely more useful than having a reminder that it's raining.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Those of us enduring winter see this light on for weeks on end. I really wonder if any single individual has ever avoided an accident because of this reminder. It feels kind of like just a silly thing. I know many cars have it, I have two cars with it now. It's barely more useful than having a reminder that it's raining.
I find it amusing, as I said above. The snowflake and beep are harmless. I got my first one of the season last month on a morning commute.

I can appreciate that there is a warning of potential danger. However there is nothing in the documentation that says why this alert is present other than it's cold. There's nothing on the dash that says low temp, watch for ice. As it stands it's just a 'hey stupid, it's cold. don't forget to bundle up'.

ksnogas2112 said:
I can appreciate that there is a warning of potential danger. However there is nothing in the documentation that says why this alert is present other than it's cold. There's nothing on the dash that says low temp, watch for ice. As it stands it's just a 'hey stupid, it's cold. don't forget to bundle up'.
We get the same warning in the ActiveE. The consensus among drivers there is that this alert came straight from the conventional BMW 1 series and has no bearing on the EV drivetrain or components. Is this warning supposed to alert us to the possibility of surface ice or potentially hazardous driving conditions in regular cars?

ksnogas2112 said:

My other car (2010 Honda Insight) also simply has a "low temperature" warning. However, I've had a few rental cars that elaborated. Something on the order of "low temperature, ice possible". The key is, it has nothing to do with the drivetrain of the car, and simply is an indication of environmental conditions.

My truck flashes between the low temp reading and the word ICE for the warning.
Yes it seems redundant for those in the constant cold. It is more for those that drive up a mountain to visit winter.

Low Temps Can Slash An Electric Car's Range By More Than Half. It's not warning you to go back for your coat or to watch for ice. It's to not trust your range meter and not too drive far.

4amynet said:
Low Temps Can Slash An Electric Car's Range By More Than Half. It's not warning you to go back for your coat or to watch for ice. It's to not trust your range meter and not too drive far.

or 15%.... so at least you have options

Back