What are the differences between 2014 and 2015 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides the lizard battery, about the most notable change (OTOH) is cruise control is standard on the ’15 S. trim. S trim (cheapest trim) was new for ‘13+ model years and had no cruise control, not even as an option on that trim.

http://insideevs.com/2015-nissan-leaf-details-price-specs-options/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/30/2015-nissan-leaf-gets-minor-updates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Test messages through the cars radio unit. However it's not that great. It will read them out to you or let you see the text at a very low speed or stopped. It will let you reply with about 10 or so pre set messages, 4 of them can be custom that you make.

It also has enhanced voice features while driving, ie send a text or navigate to an address.

That is for SV and SL only.

mwalsh said:
Well the big one would (reportedly) be the Lizard battery pack. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Hi all, I am about to turn in my leased Leaf for a new 2015. I see references to a Lizard Battery Pack. What is this? Thanks very much.

DesertDenizen said:
Hi all, I am about to turn in my leased Leaf for a new 2015. I see references to a Lizard Battery Pack. What is this? Thanks very much.

The first generation of LEAF batteries suffered faster than expected capacity loss, especially in hot climates. With 2015 the new packs are purported to have improved heat tolerance.

Nubo said:
DesertDenizen said:

The first generation of LEAF batteries suffered faster than expected capacity loss, especially in hot climates. With 2015 the new packs are purported to have improved heat tolerance.

Well that would be great, as my first two Leafs both lost at capacity bar by 7,000 miles.

Nubo said:
DesertDenizen said:

Yep.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

minispeed said:
Test messages through the cars radio unit. However it's not that great. It will read them out to you or let you see the text at a very low speed or stopped. It will let you reply with about 10 or so pre set messages, 4 of them can be custom that you make.

It also has enhanced voice features while driving, ie send a text or navigate to an address.

It wasn't clear to me that this is new to the '15 Leaf.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085587_2014-nissan-leaf-minor-changes-for-nissans-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; refers to the above for the '14 Leaf. (I have not had a chance to try out the nav on a '14 nor '15 Leaf SV/SL.)

Here you go, from a Nissan press release:

A new MorningSky Blue exterior color (late availability)
The addition of Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant and Voice Destination Entry for SV and SL grades
New standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels for the SV grade (late availability)
The base LEAF S grade receives standard "B-Mode," which engages regenerative braking more aggressively while decelerating

Note that they choose to not mention the new battery pack, but it's definitely there.

cwerdna said:
minispeed said:

It wasn't clear to me that this is new to the '15 Leaf.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085587_2014-nissan-leaf-minor-changes-for-nissans-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; refers to the above for the '14 Leaf. (I have not had a chance to try out the nav on a '14 nor '15 Leaf SV/SL.)

Maybe it was just new for 2015 Canadian models. My cousin has a 2014 without those features.

Also maybe that article was written about plans and they failed to get it into production, there's a 5 month gap from the writting to the availablity of the model they reference there.

unpublished subtleties that I've noticed from 2013 SV to 2015 S
1) antenna is a generic black (without the blue accent at the top
2) button rearrangement - the heated steering wheel button is on the far left, and the charge port open is on the far right.

TomT said:
It is amazing, in this day and age, just how miserable the Leaf Infotainment system STILL is!

minispeed said:
However it's not that great

One man's opinion! I think it's pretty good, and I even think the 'standard' speaker package sounds OK for a car (and I blast my music). I use radio/satellite/BT (iPhone)/USB (and even some Nav). If I want high fidelity, I'll listen to a CD on my home stereo.

Phatcat73 said:
unpublished subtleties that I've noticed from 2013 SV to 2015 S
1) antenna is a generic black (without the blue accent at the top
2) button rearrangement - the heated steering wheel button is on the far left, and the charge port open is on the far right.

Also, the bright trim running down the outside of the tail lights has a bluish tint on my 2014; the 2015 doesn't have the bluish tint.

Phatcat73 said:
button rearrangement - the heated steering wheel button is on the far left, and the charge port open is on the far right.
I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind. Another thread was talking about repositioning the buttons, and I was like "my buttons already look like that"... :)

so bottom line there is no difference.

The so called mythical lizard battery, is just that unless it is documented officially from Nissan as such. Even then it might mean nothing, unless it proves itself in two or three years time-frame.

I believe that the 2015 S model has cruise control standard, which is new. For me that would be a big deal. But if one is considering the SV/SL models then it doesn't matter.

I think that all 2015s have a rear camera now, although the screen on the S model is smaller than the SV/SL. Don't think the rear camera was standard on the 2014 S but I'm not sure about that.

SV/SL models = not much difference (save for the lizard battery, which was probably included in the 2014s but not specified).

S model = some improvements in standard equipment in the 2015s versus 2014s

Back