Is the new 240 volt EVSE that comes with Eplus adjustable.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

As per the title. Is it adjustable. And if not, is the Eplus adjustable.

We have an Eplus on order (a 2020 arriving in January)

We have a 20 amp 240 circuit available. Will I be able to use it? We have alternatives already installed. Just curious.

webeleafowners said:

We have a 20 amp circuit available. Will I be able to use it? We have alternatives already installed. Just curious.

The EVSE is not adjustable. The car will set itself to the max charge rate that any EVSE is capable of up to 6.6.

The EVSE that comes with my 2019 EPlus can plug into a 50 amp 220 volts 14-50R Socket and Supply 6.6 charge rate that adds about 22-25 miles of range for each hour it’s plugged in. It also comes with an adaptor that allows it to be plugged into a standard household 110 v receptacle so it can be used as a “trickle charger” but will only add 4-5 miles of range for each hour it’s plugged in.

It will not plug into and it’s not capable of using a 20 amp 240v outlet.

Jerryr said:
webeleafowners said:

We have a 20 amp circuit available. Will I be able to use it? We have alternatives already installed. Just curious.

The EVSE is not adjustable. The car will set itself to the max charge rate that any EVSE is capable of up to 6.6.

The EVSE that comes with my 2019 EPlus can plug into a 50 amp 220 volts 14-50R Socket and Supply 6.6 charge rate that adds about 22-25 miles of range for each hour it’s plugged in. It also comes with an adaptor that allows it to be plugged into a standard household 110 v receptacle so it can be used as a “trickle charger” but will only add 4-5 miles of range for each hour it’s plugged in.

Thanks Jerry. Kinda thougth so. We have two EVSE’s. A JuiceBox 40 and a Clipper Creek 12 amp 240 volt hardwired unit in the driveway. It has 10 gauge wire though. Thought if it was adjustable I would switch to a 20 amp breaker and use it. No worries. The 12 amp is fine and in a pinch the JuiceBox is in the garage.

Jerryr said:
webeleafowners said:

I'm not sure this information is correct.

At least for the USA, I don't think 220 volts exists anymore.
It is 120 volts, or 120*2 = 240 volts.

I don't see why the 12 Amp CC EVSE would not work as before; and as for the Juice box, it will supply the lessor of 40 Amps or the maximum that the LEAF can take. No reason to use the EVSE that came with the car at home.

---
What you DO NOT want to do is plug in the mobile EVSE to your 10 gauge circuit. That would trip a breaker or cause a fire because the EVSE would try to pull 32 Amps

SageBrush said:
Jerryr said:
webeleafowners said:

I don't see why the 12 Amp CC EVSE would not work as before; and as for the Juice box, it will supply the lessor of 40 Amps or the maximum that the LEAF can take. No reason to use the EVSE that came with the car at home.

---
What you DO NOT want to do is plug in the mobile EVSE to your 10 gauge circuit. That would trip a breaker or cause a fire because the EVSE would try to pull 32 Amps

No worries of that Sagebrush. It is a hardwired LCS-15 Sun Country (clipper creek) EVSE. I’ll just leave things as they are.

webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:
Jerryr said:

---

No worries of that Sagebrush. It is a hardwired LCS-15 Sun Country (clipper creek) EVSE. I’ll just leave things as they are.

With 10 gauge wire you could buy a hard wired Clipper Creek LCS-30, replace the double pole 20a 220/240v double pole breaker with a 30 amp double pole. Then you would be able to charge at twice the rate (24 amps output) as your LCS-20. (12 amps output).

I just installed a hard wired LCS-30 at my cabin in the woods to charge my EPlus. It charges at about 90% of the rate of my main charger at the main home.

By the way, and just in case things are similar (but no promises !!)

My Tesla mobile EVSE also came with a 120v and 14-50, 32 Amp pigtail adapters. Others are available from the Tesla store. The nice trick here is that the pigtail determines the Amp pull.

SageBrush said:
By the way, and just in case things are similar (but no promises !!)

My Tesla mobile EVSE also came with a 120v and 14-50, 32 Amp pigtail adapters. Others are available from the Tesla store. The nice trick here is that the pigtail determines the Amp pull.

Yah that’s pretty neat.

I can’t go bigger than a 20 amp breaker because of the main panel capacity. Besides. If I need a faster charge I just use the JuiceBox in the garage. Most of the time 12 amp 240 is plenty. For years we just used 12 amp 120. Kinda slow though. And with the Eplus battery twice as big as our 2016 SV it won’t cut it.

SageBrush said:
Jerryr said:
webeleafowners said:

The EVSE that comes with my 2019 EPlus can plug into a 50 amp 220 volts 14-50R Socket and Supply 6.6 charge rate that adds about 22-25 miles of range for each hour it’s plugged in. It also comes with an adaptor that allows it to be plugged into a standard household

Of course you are correct. My old fart age was just showing. Current US utility nominal voltages are 120 and 240 vac.

Some residential power is 208 in rare cases. The new LEAF EVSE is an exercise in stupid engineering and massive tooling costs.

webeleafowners said:
Yah that’s pretty neat.
Cheap and versatile, too. $35 buys any of

uc

to attach to the EVSE and be good to go after the wall socket and breaker match.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
Yah that’s pretty neat.
Cheap and versatile, too. $35 buys any of

uc

to attach to the EVSE and be good to go after the wall socket and breaker match.

It would be nice if other Manufacturers did something like that. Our cup runneth over with EVSE’s but that kinda thing would be handy to have something like that.

We have 5 EVSE’s.

The one that came with the smart. 8/12 amp 120
The one that came with the Leaf. 12 amp 120
A duo sida 16 amp. 240 volt.
JuiceBox 40
Clipper Creek 12 amp 240 volt.

webeleafowners said:
It would be nice if other Manufacturers did something like that.
It would be REALLY nice if all the manufacturers could agree on a (self-reporting) pigtail standard.

FWIW though, the Tesla car sets its maximum Amp rate to match the pigtail too, I presume as a safety feature.
However, I don't actually know if the Tesla EVSE is actually setting a maximum current or it is just a pass-through between the car and the pig-tail. I like the idea of redundant safety when it comes to the Amp setting so I *hope* that both the EVSE refuses to pass more current than the pig-tail says and the car refuses to draw more the pig-tail rating.

Back