Thoughts on a 2014 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobScott

I've been a long-time member but haven't posted very much. I have committed to finding a used Leaf this summer.

There is a one owner 2014 SV that just came up on Craigslist. It was bought in October 2014. It has 49,500 miles and the owner reports he just lost his first bar. The SoH shows 85%, and he says his current range is about 85 miles. He is asking $8500.00.

Based on the photos it looks like it's been cared for.

My question is whether 85% SoH is normal for a 2014 with this many miles on it.

My commute is now 12 miles round trip although some days I have to go to meetings any my daily mileage can be as high as 50 miles. I may be getting a new job and the commute would go up to 40 to 50 miles per day.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BobScott said:
I've been a long-time member but haven't posted very much. I have committed to finding a used Leaf this summer.

There is a one owner 2014 SV that just came up on Craigslist. It was bought in October 2014. It has 49,500 miles and the owner reports he just lost his first bar. The SoH shows 85%, and he says his current range is about 85 miles. He is asking $8500.00.

Based on the photos it looks like it's been cared for.

My question is whether 85% SoH is normal for a 2014 with this many miles on it.

My commute is now 12 miles round trip although some days I have to go to meetings any my daily mileage can be as high as 50 miles. I may be getting a new job and the commute would go up to 40 to 50 miles per day.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Where?

In Phoenix, would be outstanding.

In Seattle, somewhat disappointing.

Please set your location in your profile so we don't have to guess.

I used to have a ‘14 SV, thought it was a very good car. As for capacity loss, 15% loss is likely better than average for 5 yrs/ 50k miles. Mine was @ 88% SOH at 45k miles when returned at 3 yrs. The important thing to remember is you are likely marrying this car, so make sure the range limitations work for your recharging arrangements. You might struggle some with range on cold days if/when you change jobs and 40-50 miles/day kicks in. Sounds like a decent deal if well kept and works for your need.

The SOH is "high normal" for a '14 in a warm climate after 5 years. The real world range won't be 85 miles, though - more like 55-60 with A/C, and 50 in Winter with heat. Less if the temps there fall into the teens.

LeftieBiker said:
The SOH is "high normal" for a '14 in a warm climate after 5 years. The real world range won't be 85 miles, though - more like 55-60 with A/C, and 50 in Winter with heat. Less if the temps there fall into the teens.

Climate is a bit cooler than average, "Albuquerque, NM " ,0.94 aging factor. So I'd say fairly close to normal aging.

Lefty is correct, don't expect 85 miles unless driving for on fairly flat roads at 35 MPH or so. Which isn't usually real world.

Avoid leaving the car at 100% for long periods of time especially during hot weather. Use the timers to charge just before departure. Or use the timers to charge to less than 100%. The 2014 does not have a charge limit.

I have a 2014 S with ~40,000 miles on it, and 80% capacity. Your degradation has more to do with climate than mileage. Where will you park it during the day? Can you park it in the shade? This will help.

For a 12 mile commute it's a no-brainer. For a 50 mile commute, it depends on the conditions. I can only get about 50 miles at freeway speeds, but I can still get nearly 90 on 35-55mph roads if I'm gentle on the pedals. If it's freeway miles, then absolutely not. If it's a combination of conditions, and you can recharge at work, then maybe. Keep in mind the car will continue to degrade.

You can get a great deal on the 2018 Leaf. If you're eligible for the tax incentive and 0% financing your monthly payment wouldn't be much higher than the used one. And it would last you much longer.

Your degradation has more to do with climate than mileage. Where will you park it during the day? Can you park it in the shade? This will help.

It's really about the "climate" experienced by the battery pack. It's possible to simulate Phoenix in Camden, if you keep fast-charging the car while the pack is Hot. So charging habits are indeed important.

Back