Electric Charge Cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jborchel said:
Is there a way to know if a line is actually dedicated through some type of instrument?
Electrician would have a tone generator to discover what is on the circuit.
You can turn off that breaker and see what else turns off.

Wow, there are some very high electric rates in this thread. Xcel in Minnesota is about 8.5 cents/kwhr on the normal tarriff; you can switch to a Time of Use plan (3 cents at night, 30 during the day); or choose to pay $5/month for a separate EV meter wired only to your EVSE, with 3/30-cent night/day power just for the EV charging.

If your power costs 30 or 40 cents per kwhr, it seems like a no-brainer to get solar power (either rooftop or solar garden membership). Our solar array produces more than we consume for 9 months out of the year, so we only have to pay for electricity 3 months of the year. Even with our modest utility cost, our solar array is on-track to break-even within 10 years. I have heard that solar installations cost more in Cali, but I'm guessing not 300%-400% more?

specialgreen said:
Wow, there are some very high electric rates in this thread. Xcel in Minnesota is about 8.5 cents/kwhr on the normal tarriff; you can switch to a Time of Use plan (3 cents at night, 30 during the day); or choose to pay $5/month for a separate EV meter wired only to your EVSE, with 3/30-cent night/day power just for the EV charging.

If your power costs 30 or 40 cents per kwhr, it seems like a no-brainer to get solar power (either rooftop or solar garden membership). Our solar array produces more than we consume for 9 months out of the year, so we only have to pay for electricity 3 months of the year. Even with our modest utility cost, our solar array is on-track to break-even within 10 years. I have heard that solar installations cost more in Cali, but I'm guessing not 300%-400% more?

Ours is 13.5 cents off-peak and a whopping 34 cents during the day. The plus is that they’re going for a greener energy mix where we live and they pay almost 40 cents per kWh for solar fed back into the grid. They stopped letting new people into the program last year because so many people jumped on it. I’d say a third of the open fields in our area were turned into solar farms.

jonathanfields4ever said:
specialgreen said:

Ours is 13.5 cents off-peak and a whopping 34 cents during the day. The plus is that they’re going for a greener energy mix where we live and they pay almost 40 cents per kWh for solar fed back into the grid. They stopped letting new people into the program last year because so many people jumped on it. I’d say a third of the open fields in our area were turned into solar farms.

In WA state, in my area, it's about 10 cents/kwh all day/night.. no peak / off peak times... I had thought this was pretty cheap electricity rate, until I read some people here at 3 cents/ kwh at night.. wow, I'd like to get that rate..

WetEV said:
Some power in Washington state is under 3 cents per kWh. Wenatchee pays 2.64 cents.

Oh, really? Nice! I guess I live in the urban area of the state, so it's 10 cents for me with SnoPud.

My original estimate was about $30-50 per month to charge a 2018 Leaf at 1,000 miles a month.

However, after owning it one year, it's really been more like $15 per month difference in our electric bill than before we bought the Leaf. Some months it's not even a noticeable difference. I was really surprised by this.

Back