LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Recent experience with new Leaf - wow! :)

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 pm

TMS meaning active cooling, correct? Cell phones don't have active cooling. I can't see how active cooling could be implemented without making the cell phone larger and heavier than a brick, and cost much more than a non-actively cooled phone. And for what? Perhaps twice the battery life? At the cost of needed four times the battery capacity, or perhaps even more? A fan on a cell phone??? Perhaps if you often leave your phone in your car in Death Valley. With the windows rolled up.

Are you trying to take Orient Express's job away?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

EVDRIVER

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
TMS meaning active cooling, correct? Cell phones don't have active cooling. I can't see how active cooling could be implemented without making the cell phone larger and heavier than a brick, and cost much more than a non-actively cooled phone. And for what? Perhaps twice the battery life? At the cost of needed four times the battery capacity, or perhaps even more? A fan on a cell phone??? Perhaps if you often leave your phone in your car in Death Valley. With the windows rolled up.

Are you trying to take Orient Express's job away?

This is true actually, I don't QC my cell phone nor do my friends. Let's be realistic and honest, the larger LEAF pack is crippled if you want to QC at all, Even the G1 packs we slow and limited because of their taper and now it's worse. You can QC a Tesla over and over and charge at 120kw on a low SOC and ever 50kw at higher OSC levers. If you don't need to go out of town the LEAF is fine but it won't matter once consumers find out they have a large pack that is not the "same" as everything else out there. Nissan is still trying to save their NRE costs.

Joe6pack
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 025854

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm

@EVDRIVER For the love of God buy a Te$la and leave the rest of us alone. No one cares about this but you and you harp on it constantly. I have quick charged my 24kWh LEAF 28 times in five and a half years and only once did I quick charge twice in the same day.

Do you have any idea how obnoxious this constant negativity is? Admit it - you're just here to troll. Let anyone say anything the least bit positive about the LEAF and you and the rest of your ilk show up to turn the conversation negative. Your no better than the same assclowns who troll the Tesla boards. This is a LEAF board where people come to share LEAF knowledge and experience. Te$la has their own board - go there.

The cheapest Te$la anyone can buy is $60K. These are two different classes of vehicle. Don't like the LEAF, don't buy it. But stop touting your opinions as facts. As WetEV said. If you have to quick charge the 40 kWh LEAF twice in one trip, you bought the wrong car for you. The LEAF is an environmentally friendly, economical commuter appliance - nothing more. It has an 8 year, 100,000 mile battery degradation warranty. Not good enough, don't buy it.

There are just too many trolls on MNL these days.
2012 Leaf SL leased October 4th, 2012
Braselton, GA

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 pm

WetEV wrote:If you need more than one QC per trip, you are taking the wrong car.

I don't think so personally. Actually I'm getting to where I hate driving for miles on end without pulling over to rest. If I can make my dream come true and only own an EV then I won't have much of an excuse for driving thousands of miles on end without rest.

The last time I started out on the trip across country to see the inlaws I was ecstatic when the car started to shake within the first 200 miles. I called the tow truck and got bus tickets quicker than you can say "Bob's your uncle."

The EV is perfect for long distance trips in my opinion. If only my car had a just a bit more range and if there actually existed a charging infrastructure then I could drive for an hour, then pull over for half an hour to charge and keep doing that the whole way. No more driving into Puerto Vallarta or Long Island with my neck stiffer than a bar of wrought iron.

Of course that's just me. I know, I'm weird.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I will be watching how well drivers like their 2018s and how well the batteries do because the Leaf is likely still the best choice for my usage pattern (of the EVs I can actually buy in AZ). I hope I am not forced to replace my 2015 any time soon, but keep an eye on the market just in case. I do know I won't buy a car that discharges its battery more than 1 or 2 percent while parked for 2 to 3 weeks at a time without being plugged in. I am also reluctant to buy a car with features I don't want like pro pilot and active cruise control (autonomous driving features) so I will be looking to see what options and trim packages are offered on cars I can buy here.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 am

I will also be watching the reporting from people about how the 40kwh batteries hold up. I am the type of person who generally buys cars that are a few years old to avoid the highest depreciation and then keeps them for a very long time. Battery degredation is important to me. It's frustrating that my daughter's 2004 Prius, which is otherwise in good running condition, is now effectively "totalled" because the battery needs to be replaced.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 am

jake14mw wrote:I will also be watching the reporting from people about how the 40kwh batteries hold up. I am the type of person who generally buys cars that are a few years old to avoid the highest depreciation and then keeps them for a very long time. Battery degredation is important to me. It's frustrating that my daughter's 2004 Prius, which is otherwise in good running condition, is now effectively "totalled" because the battery needs to be replaced.

I think that you can get refurbished Prius Gen II packs for $2k, although I haven't looked for one.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 pm

@jake14mw
http://www.priusrebuilders.com/
http://www.falconhybrid.com/category-s/1477.htm

Two options for remanufactured Prius battery packs
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303628

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Joe6pack wrote:
There are just too many trolls on MNL these days.

This is why I seldom visit or comment on here these days, while I am thoroughly enjoying my 2018 SV. IMHO, the more some people pay for a car is the less they will bitch and moan about its shortcomings. Tela has many expensive out of warranty problems, including but not limited to, drive units and suspension bushings and mounts. The DU costs as much as $15k, but when you bought the car for $70k, you better not be a cheap a$$ and complain. But guess what, it has battery cooling. For that money they BETTER have minions in there fanning each cell.

Well how about the i3? Well, just go and check out the facebook page and see what you get for over $10k more.

The Hyundai is just not for me....period. But I will never tell someone not to buy it.
2018 SV
Deep Blue Pearl

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Sorry, but people come here to talk about their cars. That covers the good, the bad, the ugly. There needs to be a healthy skepticism of those who are only Fanboys of any Make or Model and refuse to see the totality.

Quite often advances are made because the need for improvements are voiced by the consumers. While needs can vary wildly, we are usually on forums to voice our opinions and facts as we see them and possibly help others.

Both positive and negative may be mentioned over and over, but that just might keep the current issues at the forefront so new people visiting the forum will see those things reflected in the newest threads, and not buried somewhere they might not run across.

Our differences of opinion or usage of said vehicles may find others who can relate to our position, or some may be diametrically opposed. In the end, the benefit of all of those views should be apparent. The hard part is to stay civil to each other when we have varying viewpoints or may strongly disagree.

Some of us are lucky to own more than one brand and are able to render an informed opinion of comparison between those products. Those people should also be free to openly reflect what they feel are those differences even if it can make one product seem better than the other.

I would hope if the manufacturer ever peruses this forum, they will see our current positive and negative without being taxed much for time needing to dig far in the past to derive decent information as to our current feelings of their product.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”