Should I buy this 2013 Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zazzhazz

I don’t know where the least offensive place to post this is but I need some help I am really on the fence. Should I take the plunge and buy this leaf or not. I’ll give you all the details I can.

2013 S
With 34k
11/12 bars
Manufactured 3/13
$7,500
It’s clean
Comes with 2 regular charges and a 240v and it’s got new tires.
I live in colder climate. Gets down to 10f occasionally. Most daily highs are 20-30 in the winter.

Let me know what I dont know. Also if there was a better place to post thanks. Is 7,500 a good deal or an ok deal?

Should I be worried about the manufactured date even though it’s only 1 bar down. Are any batteries from that time better the the “canary packs” or the quick degrading ones.

If that is the pack the car came with then it will degrade fast in any heat. If it has at least 50% more range than you need it might work. You could also budget for a new pack in several years. Also, keep in mind that the S has less range in mild winter weather than the SV or SL.

Is this is base S trim or does it have the charge package which upgrades the OBC to 6.6 kW and adds the CHAdeMO inlet (on the left)? If it's a base S, I think you can do better and should look for one a build month of 4/2013 or later. Where did the car reside before?

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

20 miles round trip to and from work although I have meetings not at the office regularly but no more then 50 miles a day. I would say 50/50 highway city. Maybe 40h/60c

Car has been in the PNW it’s whole life.

I don’t think it has the 6.6 qc

I can charge at work 110v.

I am also just wondering if there any early 13 batteries aren’t bunk?

Zazzhazz said:
I don’t think it has the 6.6 qc
Then it's not a very good deal. Here's my point of reference: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?sort=priceasc&auto_make_model=nissan+leaf&min_auto_year=2013&max_auto_year=2013.

It is unfortunate that it seems like used Leaf prices have gone up compared to when I bought mine in July 2015. It was 25 months old and had just under 24K miles. Now it seems like if wanted one that's 25 months old and under 24K miles w/the same equipment, I'd need to pay more.
Zazzhazz said:
I can charge at work 110v.
That'll definitely help w/any anxiety if you need to make a long trip on a cold snowy deay.
Zazzhazz said:
I am also just wondering if there any early 13 batteries aren’t bunk?
Doubtful.

FWIW, I'm in a warmer part of the SF Bay Area (not as blazing hot as Livermore, Concord or Walnut Creek though) and my 5/2013 built '13 is finally getting close to close to a bar at past 49.5K miles. From SOH now at 84% and Hx at 82.xx or 81.xx%, I wouldn't be surprised if I lose it within the next few days or weeks.

20 miles round trip to and from work although I have meetings not at the office regularly but no more then 50 miles a day. I would say 50/50 highway city. Maybe 40h/60c

Pass on any Leaf built before 4/2013. The early packs won't last you long enough.

Does that model have a heat pump? (I don't think it does).

If you live in a cold climate that should be a big deal. Also, the SOH is more important the the number of bars.

$7500 seems like an average deal, and you might be able to offer $6,500 and walk away with it. $10,000 should get you a 2015 with low miles. If you plan on keeping the car for 5 years or more, I would spring for the later model.

webb14leafs said:
Does that model have a heat pump? (I don't think it does).

If you live in a cold climate that should be a big deal. Also, the SOH is more important the the number of bars.

$7500 seems like an average deal, and you might be able to offer $6,500 and walk away with it. $10,000 should get you a 2015 with low miles. If you plan on keeping the car for 5 years or more, I would spring for the later model.

+1

Used prices have skyrocketed in Western WA so guessing its up where you are at as well. I would not recommend any LEAF that has already lost a bar with mileage that low. Build date is a known "bad batch" so would stay away from that one.

Problem is , most other options are likely to be $2000+ more dollars. tough call.

But the reality is your LEAF is likely down to a range of 75 in Summer, to as low as 50 in Winter with careful driving. That is no climate control. Based on your comments, unless you have public charging available on your expected trips, the car is not going to work

Build date is a known "bad batch" so would stay away from that one.

No, Dave. This is the same pack chemistry used from the first Leaf built through March of 2013. It is a case of "bad chemistry" and not a "bad batch." You may want to just let that theory die.

Back