alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: View of the current EV world by a non-EV owner

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm

If I was going to use an EV for only 6 months out of the year, I personally wouldn't buy one. Batteries don't like sitting at any static charge for months on end. So, even if you carefully charged the EV to the 40 to 50% range and stored it at that SOC, doing so won't be good for the battery pack.

One way to avoid that would be to use a service like Turo:

https://turo.com/list-your-car

Basically, your EV could earn you money when you don't need it, rather than sitting idle in your garage. Just a thought...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

RichCapeCod
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2017

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect an EV won't be in my immediate future, at least not for a while.

Thanks!

Rich

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 am

RichCapeCod wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect an EV won't be in my immediate future, at least not for a while.
Rich, I think your write-up in the OP is spot-on and your decision is a good one. You've certainly done your research! BTW, rumor has it that the MY2019 LEAF will have the option of a 60-kWh battery with a TMS included.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

RichCapeCod
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2017

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am

RegGuheert wrote:
RichCapeCod wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect an EV won't be in my immediate future, at least not for a while.
Rich, I think your write-up in the OP is spot-on and your decision is a good one. You've certainly done your research! BTW, rumor has it that the MY2019 LEAF will have the option of a 60-kWh battery with a TMS included.

I love the idea of having an EV, and the next iteration of the Leaf sounds like a winner. But, as one of the posters pointed out to me, having an EV sit in a hot garage for six months is not such a good idea!!

Rich

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:04 pm

RichCapeCod wrote:....The Bolt is small, but seems, from the materials and videos I’ve seen, reasonably roomy inside. The front seats, on the other hand, may be a bit snug. I cannot really tell without actually sitting in one of these autos.....
Rich EXCELLENT review and summary. If only the rest of the US was as analytical. :roll: One point, I just had the opportunity of sitting in both the front and back seats of the new Bolt (and I'm a 6+ yr owner of the Leaf). The Bolt is MORE roomy in the back seat, and comparable in the front. I didn't spend time reviewing everything about the car, but it is a worthy vehicle, enough kick to squeal tires, plenty of dashboard tech, etc. The long-term battery health is unknown, but if the Volt is any help, GM knows how to over-engineer things.

For your use pattern, I would still consider a sacrificial cheap, used Leaf for this winter. You'd probably get away with $8K or less. See how it works for 50 mi trips, then hope for a new battery under warranty or buy a new one in a few years. If money isn't a concern, get a Tesla with autopilot and drive it back and forth instead of flying. This will alleviate the problem of overheating the battery in the hot Tucson summer. Any EV with thermal management is better in the AZ heat, but will cost you more for cooling. The Tesla is known to have a significantly greater vampire drain (~4 to 5 mi/day) vs. the Leaf (close to 0 mi/day). The Volt/Bolt, while lower than the Tesla, will still use electricity from the wall to keep the battery cool inside a hot garage.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Rich,

Your analysis is good, but a Leaf might still be a good choice if you can live with the range limitation. I don't think there is a lot of public charging infrastructure in southern Arizona so I would not recommend that you depend upon it. Your car would be parked in a garage and not driven during the hottest months so its battery temperature would not be excessively high (since there is no heat added to the garage from another car and no heat added to the battery by driving or charging the Leaf). The Leaf is easy to prepare for extended parking--just make sure battery is about 50% SOC, unplug any devices from OBDII diagnostic port, turn off car and lock it (if desired), and store the key fobs out of range of the car (in the house, for example, because key fob batteries may discharge excessively if within range of the car), There is no need to disconnect the 12-volt battery or use a battery tender because the Leaf will turn on the DC-DC converter and charge the 12-volt battery from the traction battery when needed. The energy required to keep the 12-volt battery charged is so low that you will not have significant drop in SOC of the traction battery.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Except that in that climate the pack will experience permanent capacity loss from just sitting at 40% SOC for an extended period of time. See table 3 of this document for details:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

If the garage is air conditioned then the loss would be much less.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”