Highest Battery Replacement Cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.

DaveinOlyWA said:
What is the MOST anyone has paid to replace a 24 kwh traction battery pack over the past year?

Interested in the price of the pack but if you have a breakdown (install, etc. ) that would be nice as well.

retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

$250 for the adapter harness required for 2011/2012/Q1-2013 cars
$550 shop labor (standard rates quoted by Nissan)

so about $6300 is you are paying cash to replace an early model

We hear of Nissan corporate one-off discounts of ~50% for out of warranty battery replacement. I wonder if those days are over now that AESC is being sold to the Chinese company GSR Capital. Under GSR Capital will AESC even continue to manufacture the old 24 kwh packs? Perhaps another 3rd party will step in and offer an aftermarket pack, who knows....

BiggieJohn said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

retail price of a new battery is $6500 delivered to a dealer. - $1000 "core charge" when the old batteyr is returned by a delaer

Is that what you paid? I know what its supposed to be. Only interested in what people have actually paid.

ENIAC said:
We hear of Nissan corporate one-off discounts of ~50% for out of warranty battery replacement. I wonder if those days are over now that AESC is being sold to the Chinese company GSR Capital. Under GSR Capital will AESC even continue to manufacture the old 24 kwh packs? Perhaps another 3rd party will step in and offer an aftermarket pack, who knows....
I have been very curious about how this will play out. I'm sure there are plenty of battery packs already made, but who will make them in the future and what will Nissan do about our first Gen cars? In a very short time, we are going to have a lot of them that will need a replacement or they will end up in the scrap yards.
If my range doesn't diminish, I could use my car for the foreseeable future since I plan to retire in a couple years. By that time there should at least some affordable used alternatives I suppose, but my Leaf will probably be worth less than the tires I just put on it!

warrenc said:
ENIAC said:
I have been very curious about how this will play out. I'm sure there are plenty of battery packs already made, but who will make them in the future and what will Nissan do about our first Gen cars? In a very short time, we are going to have a lot of them that will need a replacement or they will end up in the scrap yards.
If my range doesn't diminish, I could use my car for the foreseeable future since I plan to retire in a couple years. By that time there should at least some affordable used alternatives I suppose, but my Leaf will probably be worth less than the tires I just put on it!

I visited the battery plant in Opama and the modules are simply a questions of layers of anode, cathode, electrolyte. SEVERAL layers in fact so its all about the modules. Creating a 24 kwh pack is no more difficult than probably selecting a few different buttons. I am guessing its not that difficult to switch from one pack to the other. I am sure there is a lot more to it than what I am portraying here

DaveinOlyWA said:
BiggieJohn said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Is that what you paid? I know what its supposed to be. Only interested in what people have actually paid.

An owner on the LEAF Facebook owner group was out of warranty and posted his service invoice, it showed these prices, and the discount applied by Nissan since he was <60K miles, but just past 5 years

BiggieJohn said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
BiggieJohn said:

An owner on the LEAF Facebook owner group was out of warranty and posted his service invoice, it showed these prices, and the discount applied by Nissan since he was <60K miles, but just past 5 years

IOW, what you posted is not what he paid. Not interested in anything here but the actual dollars and cents paid out for a pack.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I visited the battery plant in Opama and the modules are simply a questions of layers of anode, cathode, electrolyte. SEVERAL layers in fact so its all about the modules. Creating a 24 kwh pack is no more difficult than probably selecting a few different buttons. I am guessing its not that difficult to switch from one pack to the other. I am sure there is a lot more to it than what I am portraying here
Okay, however not being difficult to produce doesn't mean they'll actually produce them. It's about profits, not about the difficulty to produce. If there's more profit producing some other batteries that fills their manufacturing capacity I suspect they would rather produce those batteries instead.

Agreed. One guy stated he was getting one for $2500 but when it came time to pay, they billed him $1300ish and he has no idea why. He was told that billing came directly from Nissan so somewhere some how, someone got confused?

ENIAC said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Okay, however not being difficult to produce doesn't mean they'll actually produce them. It's about profits, not about the difficulty to produce. If there's more profit producing some other batteries that fills their manufacturing capacity I suspect they would rather produce those batteries instead.

so ignoring the early adopters AND the capacity warranty is a profit maker? I actually see their recent actions as the opposite of what you suggest.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I'm an official out of warranty 2011 LEAF owner who just picked up my car with a replacement battery. It's great to have the range back as I was down 5 bars. Nissan offered, and I accepted an 80/20 cost share.

My costs were:
Labor: $93.04
Parts: $1395.00
Tax $129.04
--------------------
Total $1617.08

Cinnabar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I'm an official out of warranty 2011 LEAF owner who just picked up my car with a replacement battery. It's great to have the range back as I was down 5 bars. Nissan offered, and I accepted an 80/20 cost share.

My costs were:
Tax $129.04
--------------------
Total $1617.08

you are #1!!! (by just over $200...) But to be fair, the previous #1 was in WA State where all things EV are tax free including labor.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Cinnabar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

My costs were:
Tax $129.04
--------------------
Total $1617.08

A small sample size? Honestly, I'm glad Nissan has decided to step up a bit with the early adapters. I think 80/20 is reasonably fair, given the marketing campaign when it first was available. I'm happy that I can expect it to be my daily driver for several more years for that cost.

I need to admit, at this point, my interest is turning towards autonomous cars rather than electric.

mark1313 said:
I'm totally confused here ....I'm sitting on a 2nd battery that has loss 4 bars ....Am I looking @ paying $6000 or $1800 for a 3rd battery ?
Mark,

You should reach out to Nissan Corporate. Your 2nd battery was installed before Lizard tech was available, you may be eligible for a special deal.

mark1313 said:
I'm totally confused here ....I'm sitting on a 2nd battery that has loss 4 bars ....Am I looking @ paying $6000 or $1800 for a 3rd battery ?

we know what the stated list price is of the LEAF and we know what you can buy one for....

so my question is how many people do we know of that have paid full price for a battery in the last year? 2 years?

This data is going to be impossible to interpret, since it might only reflect what deals Nissan offers that people are willing to accept.

SageBrush said:
This data is going to be impossible to interpret, since it might only reflect what deals Nissan offers that people are willing to accept.

Have no idea what you are getting at here. My ONLY request was what was actually paid for a replacement. Offers, rumors, reports of friends, links to articles about pricing, etc. ; not interested.

Back